Madison Chock & Evan Bates | Page 34 | Golden Skate

Madison Chock & Evan Bates

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
It's definitely the same chair from SOI, and it probably has some sort of special thingies on the bottom to make it slide on the ice easily. Plus they are used to the dimensions of the chair and it's red to match their outfits, so it makes sense. They haul enough other crap to competitions, what's one more box lol.

I'm totally bummed about no AMA. I hope they do it another time after France.

seabm7

Final Flight
I wonder, who choreographed this year's SD? Their ISU bio does not say the information clearly.

icekiwi

On the Ice
I have been reluctant to write but I just have to say something to see if anyone has even a slight agreement with me on this fabulous team. I am a big fan of Chock and Bates but I worry about their programs for this Olympic Season. In my opinion, the programs don't highlight enough of this team's strengths. The programs seem to be quite mellow. These 2 are usually very sharp with the SD, even that was the weakest SD I have seen from them for awhile. Where is the sultry, angst and sensual look that Maddie is so good at projecting? Where is the chemistry?

Also, this team usually have really nice, modern, elegant costumes, where are they? What happened in this costume department? Maddie can pull of a really nice, short, clingy sexy drsss for the SD, instead, the fish tail bit is a bit long and is distracting the dance from the audience . Tessa V also has a tassly, fishtail thing going but it is cut at the right length and the tassles are just done sufficiently.

The blue sparkly dress for the FD looks dated, looks like what single skaters would wear in their first outing. How about less sparkles and go for a more chiffon material and let the audience concentrate on the dance.

I sincerely hope Maddie and Evan don't retire after this Olympics but perhaps like what Sui/Han did 3-4 years ago was to work on their skating skills. Now, Sui/Han can do a Blues program better than ice dancers. If Maddie and Evan could get their skating skills up, it would increase the gap they will have on other ice dancers. They already have other things going for them, like lifts, chemistry, Maddie flexibility.

humbaba

Final Flight
I like both their programs this season, but especially love the FD. One thing their SOI tango exhibition demonstrated was that music with a little slower tempo can in fact accentuate C/B’s intensity and power. I think you see that in the second half of Imagine. The dance is softer but still has a freedom and exuberance.

I love the music for the SD, but agree Madi’s costume needs to be rethought. Love the way the fringe moves, but I’m kinda over the sheath dress look for Madi. After their issues with levels at COC, I was anxious to see how a different panel would score their SD.

However, the tech panel for France looks to be an unfortunate one for Madison and Evan:

TC: Ms. Christine HURTH (France)
TS: Ms. Marie BOWNESS (Canada)
ATS: Ms. Francesca FERMI (Italy)

Both the Canadian and Italian callers have an interest in holding C/B’s scores down. Wea/Po, C/L, B/S and C/B are competing for the last two places in the GPF. TBH, after seeing who’s on the tech panel, I’m feeling pretty bummed out. I’m expecting the worst. :(

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
What are the chances that C/B get into the GPF?

Astrid56

Final Flight
What are the chances that C/B get into the GPF?

Your guess is as good as mine. Apparently, some decisions in the past were 'cooked' to have the preferred results.

On March 22 at the world championships in Nagano, Japan, the judging panel awarded the bronze medal to Israel by the smallest of margins, a 5-4 decision. The Lithuanian team, which finished fourth, believed it deserved third place -- as did some three dozen fellow competitors, coaches and observers who signed an unusual petition saying the bronze medal was "not justified" and "unfairly awarded."

Interviews with the nine judges on the panel, as well as with the event referee and assistant referee, ISU officials and representatives from Lithuania and Israel, offer a glimpse inside the sport's judging system, which has come under scrutiny and attack even from the judges themselves in recent weeks and threatened to further erode the credibility of the sport.

Three judges on the ice dance panel say the decision that gave Israel's Galit Chait and Sergei Sakhnovski third place ahead of Lithuania's Margarita Drobiazko and Povilas Vanagas was grossly in error and may have been the result of judging misconduct. The American, French and German judges -- two of whom burst into tears when the results were announced -- contend that the event was erroneously judged or outright fixed.

"Were these things prearranged?" said U.S. judge Sharon Rogers, one of the four judges on the nine-judge free dance panel who ranked the Lithuanians ahead of the Israelis. "Of course they were. This kind of stuff is planned months in advance. What do you do about it? . . . These people aren't going to talk. It's not going to happen. . . . [The fact that] it came right on the heels of the Olympic scandal, that is brazen. It tells me they believe they can act with impunity."

Bcash

Final Flight
One can't help but entertain the idea of using computers to score the technical elements and audience voting for artistic impression. Lol.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Your guess is as good as mine. Apparently, some decisions in the past were 'cooked' to have the preferred results.

Funny that Sharon Rogers is the one quoted when so many skating fans have been taking her scores to task this past season when she scored Virtue/Moir low on skating skills and other PCS categories compared to other judges and made sure the American teams were always close to them in the events she scored. Many thought her scores were a blatant act of nationalism.

chameleon

On the Ice
Well, if things were rigged against them, which they may not have been, today was proof that you can only rig so much. Levels were better, although still suboptimal. I think they were a little cautious today, trying to focus on the levels, hopefully they skate a little freer in the FD(but still clean!).

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Madison is so beautiful that she would look good in a garbage bag but whoever made that dress should be stabbed with the needle they used to make it...

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Madison is so beautiful that she would look good in a garbage bag but whoever made that dress should be stabbed with the needle they used to make it...
Do you really want to stab Madison with a needle? Because she used to design her dresses herself, and, as far as I know, she still designs them. Probably someone else sews them, but we can't really blame the seamstress for Madison's ideas, can we?

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Madison and Evan on their silver! Not so sure about either costume of Maddie's, but for now I want to just bask in the happiness of their medal! :laugh:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Maddie and Evan for winning the silver medal, well done! I believe they have secured their spot for the GPF!!!!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Congrats to Madison and Evan on their silver! Not so sure about either costume of Maddie's, but for now I want to just bask in the happiness of their medal! :laugh:

it's STAR, Arriba, STAR. France truly made a statement about this one. I heard also rumours that podium was recycled from Nice 2012 Worlds, not sure if it's true, but just sayin'...:palmf:

anyway - congratulations to Madison and Evan for silver 'something' won in France and securing GPF - at this point, another international showing and gaining experience/mileage with their material is priceless and I'm glad that they will perform 'Imagine' FD in Japan as I'm sure audience will love it, it has such big momentum impact created itself and one of most impressive, beautiful lifts incorporated:love:

Winnie

Rinkside
Funny that Sharon Rogers is the one quoted when so many skating fans have been taking her scores to task this past season when she scored Virtue/Moir low on skating skills and other PCS categories compared to other judges and made sure the American teams were always close to them in the events she scored. Many thought her scores were a blatant act of nationalism.

It could be (probably is). But also she's Team Papadakis/Cizeron as she didn't give them the same treatment at Worlds 2017 and clearly put them in first. Still, being nationalistic in judging, something we see from judges other than her, is different to conspiring with other judges to ensure certain results.

ETA: here is a nice video about Madi and Evan's training at Novi.