Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 58 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Alex and Maia are featured on the latest Ice Network Ice Talk podcast.

http://www.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk

Worth mentioning that when asked in the IceTalk interview whether they ever considered not continuing after Sochi, Alex firmly replied, "No."

It always bothered me that the Shibs were misinterpreted right after Sochi as having said the opposite.
I don't remember the exact quote(s) from back then, but I think their typical carefulness with the media led to a misconception.
IIRC, when they were asked something point-blank about 2018, their reply back then had been along the lines of, "We're not ready to answer that." To me, they were saying only that they did not want to be rushed into making an announcement on the spot.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I think what also added on to it was that there was a piece or something written about the time they went to Kazakhstan for Denis Ten's show shortly after 2015 Worlds and were feeling a bit down by the previous season and Maxim Trankov and Tatiana Volosozhar gave them a pep talk about them being really young, especially for ice dance, and that they still had a lot to offer the sport. I wonder if that and a rumor that the Shibs were wondering whether they should continue after Sochi somehow got conflated.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
When somebody brought up Shibus twizzles on the NHK Trophy Free Dance thread, I watched their "Fix You" at Nationals again. The magical program makes me feel why I love the team. Though I'm not still sold on this season's programs unfortunately, but I rather would like to think they will save the best for PyeongChang.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think their FD this year is the best of all "silent music" FD. I am not fan of the music (as all top teams are doing the same kind this season), but I do find something very special in their FD. It's quite serene and not climatic, not conflict and not cheesy romance. The idea is pretty and quiet. It is good.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I just updated Alex and Maia's OP prior to the GPF with vids, exhibitions, scores and article links. Please tell me whether I missed anything?

Last edited:

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Wishing good luck to the Shib sibs as the GPF starts tomorrow. May they skate their absolute best, may there be fair judging and may they medal!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sibling Strength And Shared Vision Make Shibutanis The Ultimate Team
The sibling ice dancers are going for their first Grand Prix Final medal this weekend.

I like this graphic from the Team USA home page, which includes an "Ultimate Team" banner.
(Ultimate Team Moment apparently is a branded/sponsored series on the Team USA site.)

I just updated Alex and Maia's OP prior to the GPF with vids, exhibitions, scores and article links. Please tell me whether I missed anything?

Thank you, Doris :bow:.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Congrats to the magnificent Shibs for their "upset" SD placement! I know they can perform their SD even better than that later in the season, but those scores are nothing but encouraging. Everyone says there's only two teams vying for the World title and OGM, and that may be true at this moment in time, but the Shibs have forced themselves into the conversation before and I know they can do it again.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I love the changes to the lift and the partial step. The partial step has a more slow, blues feel and I love the fist pumping by Maia in the lift! Really thrilled for them. Never thought I see the day where there are posts about the Shibs being overscored. :laugh: Welcome, to the big leagues, Shibsibs!

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Still shocked that the Shibs got 2nd in the SD in France! And I'm so happy they finally got a GP medal. Can't believe there was a time that they didn't even make the gpf...

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I love their new SD costumes!!! :luv17: And a huge congrats to them on their GPF bronze medal!!! :yes2:

snd

On the Ice
ok so i'm one of the very few who really loves this season's fd - i like it more than 'fix you' (although that one was also great).

i am furious they lost to p/c with this perfect performance of an exquisite program (no offence to people from coldplay but the artistic merit of what they do cannot be compared to arvo pärt. just like it could never be compared to mozart or chopin). sorry, ramblings of a frustrated p/c hater here... i am not even a shibutani super-fan or anything - still, their fd at gpf was the only one that got me teary-eyed, though. not that the canadians weren't good.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy for the Shibs! Awesome to see them on the podium! Can't wait to see them at Nationals.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
WooHoo so happy that the Shibs won the Bronze! Great podium! Loved the top three!