Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 70 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

Alchamei

Record Breaker
This event needs to be a wake-up call for the Shibs. They haven't been as stunning as last season and they were lucky to get Bronze as H/B faltred and WePo were held down by judges.

But since this is a fan fest, I won't get deeper into negativity. Who would have thought this is their third WORLD medal already? :eeking: I think they are one of the greats with that archivement! So now they need to work harder and mainly get better programs next season! :cheer:

snd

On the Ice
if anyone was held down it's the shibs tonight. 110 for this angelic, pristine fd? how's it 9 pts worse than the french fd? it isn't. they were underscored and this fd is perhaps a bit too refined and highbrow for the judges, i don't know - but then there should be other judges who'd know how to appreciate great art. the french should have scored 112 or the shibs should have scored 117. either way the scoring wasn't really competent.

congratulations to maia and alex! the deserved the bronze at the very least here.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
IMO they are always underscored. I feel it like a message brother-sister pairs are not appreciated by the judges. I really to appreciate them. They music must be suitable to sibling pairs, as well as choreography.

musicfan80

Medalist
Congrats to the Shibs for winning the bronze today!

I am :scratch2: that they aren't part of the Stars on Ice cast for this year. I think the experience performing could really be beneficial for them. Plus, I don't understand how they weren't invited - they are the U.S.'s #1 ice dance team and they are popular enough even outside of figure skating.

Barb

Record Breaker
Congrats to the Shibs for winning the bronze today!

I am :scratch2: that they aren't part of the Stars on Ice cast for this year. I think the experience performing could really be beneficial for them. Plus, I don't understand how they weren't invited - they are the U.S.'s #1 ice dance team and they are popular enough even outside of figure skating.

I am sure they were invited. The Shibs probably declined the invitation because they want more time to prepare the next season.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
It is a great come back from the SD... I am glad they're still US no.1
That matters a lot :luv17:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
They are doing in right, to save energy for the upcoming season. Plus they already have at least their FD music (they said that in the Press conference) !
I have to be honest, they looked like they held back this week... they lacked abandon and honestly I thought the FD was played safe almost. They cannot rely on the fact that they are pristine all the time, and I am sure, their future programs are build just to make us see that they are capable of that !
For me they destroyed the cliche on brother-sister team not having too many choices of programs !
Bring on the olympic season !!! (and a program better than fix you if that's even possible cause the bar is very high :yahoo: )

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank goodness for the Shibs because they won the only medal for the US after their teammates faltered.

Overall Team US dd a good job as they secured 3 spots in all but one discipline (Pairs) which I believe have only 1 spot.

rosacotton

Final Flight
To me it felt like the Shibs were the Little-Engine-That-Could at Worlds! I was sad for them after the SD, praying for them to manage to finish as US #2, since it was apparent the judges were ready to put both C/B and H/D above them. Their "Evolution" dance wasn't as strong as at 4CCs IMO but still very beautiful. I respect even more Alex and Maia's ability to be so steady and solid as competitors, getting the job done, considering how much their teammates couldn't walk through the door that was wide open for them.

I hope they will be able to take a little time off before they jump into preparing for next season.

And once more we say "THANK YOU ICE DANCE!!!!" for saving (again) the US from a medal shutout! :thank:

matcha

Medalist
I hate to say it - they performed well being a team outside of podium position from the short, but they were lucky. This FD performance was not as good as at in Korea, and their position isn't as 'stable' or 'strong' as it was last year after worlds. The Russians (lol??), W/P and their compatriots are gunning for them, and they very nearly got caught.

(But don't get me wrong, I love them and will stan until my last breath).

You could tell they weren't happy when the scores came up - Maia's face (omg I wanted to scream); but they're ambitious and focused and this will motivate them. Let's all collectively pray that they don't get assigned COR because you know B/S will get propped over them in some major wtfery.

Last edited:

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I appreciate everyone's comments here, and yes the Shibs can improve next season. But, let's remember that their scores and placement don't dictate whether or not we enjoy their programs. I thought their FD was beautifully skated and the camera work, at least, was much better than 4CC! :yes: Patrick Chan ended up fifth, but I enjoyed his LP very much indeed. Even though he didn't finish on the podium, his LP moved me so much (even with 2 jump mistakes). Let's enjoy the Shibs and root for them, keeping in mind that we can appreciate and enjoy their skating regardless of results. Congrats on your bronze medal, Shibs! :yay: I hope you can reach all the personal goals that you set for next season. I'm excited to watch your journey continue to unfold. :)

Last edited:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I hate to say it - they performed well being a team outside of podium position from the short, but they were lucky.

Noooo, I really dislike that word, there is no such thing as "luck" here ! Mostly because, the judges decide... for sur they weren't as good as some other competition but with them I fell that luck has no place : they always look extremely prepared, they know how to run their own team, it's impressive. They know what to do and you have to give them credit for being consistent.

They will get Skate America for sure, and maybe NHK ? no TDF or SC for sure.

Barb

Record Breaker
Noooo, I really dislike that word, there is no such thing as "luck" here ! Mostly because, the judges decide... for sur they weren't as good as some other competition but with them I fell that luck has no place : they always look extremely prepared, they know how to run their own team, it's impressive. They know what to do and you have to give them credit for being consistent.

They will get Skate America for sure, and maybe NHK ? no TDF or SC for sure.

OMG!, it is true!!, I bought my tickets months ago, anticipating that they would finish being USA no. 1 team and to get Skate America :yes2:, if they don´t get Skate America I will sell my tickets :angry2:.
I think Tessa and Scott will want NHK but it will depend of the dates because I think NHK has not been announced yet. I just hope Maia and Alex don´t get Cup of Russia.

Exhibition Worlds 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIX9CJOzj60&t=196s

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
As I learned watching the Final Four games last night, sometimes the win is scrappy and even good teams lose out. That said while the Shibs weren't perfect on levels and for that lift deduction, they did enough. That's a testament to their training and hard work. Congrats on bronze!!

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
The Shibs survived this worlds with not only the only medal Team USA received at this championship but they cinched a third spot for ice dance since C/B and H/D's standings alone (even moving them both one place without the Shibs) would cost us a spot. Alex looked really pissed during the medal ceremony. I hope this means we're going to have a stellar and extremely motivated season coming up.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
The Shibs survived this worlds with not only the only medal Team USA received at this championship but they cinched a third spot for ice dance since C/B and H/D's standings alone (even moving them both one place without the Shibs) would cost us a spot. Alex looked really pissed during the medal ceremony. I hope this means we're going to have a stellar and extremely motivated season coming up.

This!

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I think Tessa and Scott will want NHK but it will depend of the dates because I think NHK has not been announced yet. I just hope Maia and Alex don´t get Cup of Russia.
If Rostelecom Cup will be right before or right after Trophee de France, as it has been on most occassions, then Papadakis/Cizeron won't want it either for sure. So, unless Virtue/Moir choose it, Maia and Alex will most likely get it. Then they will just have to skate as clean as they can, hit all the levels, and count on Bobrova/Soloviev making mistakes, unfortunately. Although I personally don't want anyone to make mistakes, even though I like Shibutanis better than B/S.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Their Gala program was nice, different. Anuliisa (=The Finnish expert) said they should use that kind of program in competition, because it is something new and suits them.

Barb

Record Breaker
If Rostelecom Cup will be right before or right after Trophee de France, as it has been on most occassions, then Papadakis/Cizeron won't want it either for sure. So, unless Virtue/Moir choose it, Maia and Alex will most likely get it. Then they will just have to skate as clean as they can, hit all the levels, and count on Bobrova/Soloviev making mistakes, unfortunately. Although I personally don't want anyone to make mistakes, even though I like Shibutanis better than B/S.

:( :drama: