Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani | Page 102 | Golden Skate

Maia Shibutani & Alex Shibutani

Barb

Record Breaker
The Shibs were used as examples (with V/M) as teams that more than met the new +5 GOE requirements for their twizzles from Pyeongchang :yes:.

https://youtu.be/E7tYDftWFGg?t=4667 I hope judges who give them +2 finally understand how inept (and/or dishonest) they are :scowl:

--------
Maia Shibutani shares what she's been up to, including what hit series she's been binge-watching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3qLnu1I_hk

--------
Cute photo of Maia and Massimo :luv17: http://raspberrykisses13.tumblr.com...ia-and-massimo-cry-before-flower-ceremony-one

--------

LAST DAY TO VOTE :ghug: https://aausullivan.secure-platform.com/a/gallery/rounds/5/details/314 https://twitter.com/search?l=&q=#Shibutani4Sullivan since:2018-03-26 until:2018-03-29&src=typd

dhjh811

On the Ice
OMG I JUST SAW THEM WTH
i mean i was never a big fan but wth i just randomly saw them
Just wanted to say

dhjh811

On the Ice
I went to a Korean restaurant yesterday to eat dinner around 7 pm in Los Angeles (Koreatown) and they were just leaving

Fool

On the Ice
Country
South-Korea
Ahh I missed those comments before and I'm glad I did because I would've been fuming in the moment lol. It's also not... surprising to me after having watched Nationals quite closely and on repeat (I was down with a spinal injury and watching stuff was the only thing I did those days)... Imagine if Yuna said she had gifted Adelina her gold, or if idk Nathan had told Yuzu he had given away his gold to him etc. It's just such a ridiculous proposition because it's completely not true and also they would be eaten alive by press and fans alike (rightfully imo), I suppose Zach can get away with his comments since he doesn't have quite the same spotlight on him :agree:

Anyway it's over now, and it makes me that much more appreciative of Maia and Alex' diplomatic non-drama conduct in work and life. But I will admit, the comments bothers me a little specifically for this reason? Maybe I'm reading too much into it and forgive me if I do, but I don't think he would've made those comments about Scott Moir who I'm pretty sure has always beaten them as well, but who was also more likely to clap back. There's a sense that Maia and Alex would never let people know if something bothered them, and good for them, but that shouldn't make people so brave because they just embarrass themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

I went to a Korean restaurant yesterday to eat dinner around 7 pm in Los Angeles (Koreatown) and they were just leaving

Good taste from them in food as well, as expected!

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Do they live in LA now? I wonder how often they're getting recognized right now. Tempted to go hang out in Koreatown more... :rofl:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
On the SOI Insta stories, there's a clip of Maia and Alex practicing and you can hear music in the background. Can anybody figure out what that music is?

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
The Shibs have signed up with UTA. It looks like they are exploring other opportunities in the arts and entertainment field. I wonder what this means for their future in competitive ice dance.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Shibs have signed up with UTA. It looks like they are exploring other opportunities in the arts and entertainment field. I wonder what this means for their future in competitive ice dance.
I was coming in to post the same thing. Interesting development. I thought that after they didn't get DWTS the talk of them potentially doing other things was perhaps misplaced, but now, hmm.

It's one of those scenarios where it's hard to assess without knowing more about what Maia and Alex want for themselves going forward. People often analyze figure skaters' future using a "what more is there for them to accomplish?" model that I often find facile, but it is true that, if you're looking at it purely from an awards/achievement-based perspective, they're probably pretty much at a plateau. They've got two Olympic medals, they've got World silver and bronze, they've got Grand Prix Final medals, Four Continents gold, the national title a few times, and so on. And US ice dance is sufficiently strong that there's no pull of patriotic sentiment where the country's standing will suffer if they leave. Papadakis and Cizeron will likely reign supreme for years to come, barring injury, so the idea of going for Olympic gold will probably seem remote. They could try for Olympic silver four years from now, perhaps. That combined with the simple enjoyment of what they do.

At the same time, the pro scene in the USA is kind of dead outside of Disney on Ice, so...who knows what else beckons?

slider11

Medalist
Maia and Alex have this mature view of their lives as not ending with skating. They love skating and, I think, will return to it in some capacity over the next few years. But they are also multi-dimensional and intelligent adults who realize there has to be more to life than ice dancing. So they are exploring all their options inside and outside skating with some expert guidance from a seasoned and respected talent agency. They are smart and ambitious to do this now!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am not surprised by this announcement. I will miss them next season but heck they deserve a rest from competition. They have been a joy to watch
over the years, always bringing something new and fresh to their programs. Whether this break is short or long term I wish them the Best of Luck!

msmelissa

Rinkside
I'm not surprised, but none the less I am sad. They are the ones I most look forward to see new programs from every year. No offense to D/W, they are history makers and made many firsts contributions for American ice dance, but to me the Shibs are so much more iconic and will be missed dearly (I'm biased, they are my faves). If they don't come back to competitive figure skating, I hope it's because they have found happiness and new accomplishments somewhere else in the entertainment industry.

LyMi

Spectator
I will miss them so much. My absolute favourite skaters. I watch because I find them so fascinating but without them mmmmm maybe not so much