Mao’s New Grand Challenge for 2010 Vancouver Olymphic | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mao’s New Grand Challenge for 2010 Vancouver Olymphic

enlight78

Medalist
Mao seem to be 50/50 on her 3A this season. I think that is a succes.She hasn't gotten credit on any of her 3/3. All of them UR. If mao still doesn't get credid for the 3/3 at 4CC. As a coach I would advise her to drop them for 3/2 and keep the axels.

enzet

On the Ice
Mao seem to be 50/50 on her 3A this season. I think that is a succes.She hasn't gotten credit on any of her 3/3. All of them UR. If mao still doesn't get credid for the 3/3 at 4CC. As a coach I would advise her to drop them for 3/2 and keep the axels.

I don't remember exactly what her success rate was last year but to me the most important thing is, this year she landed them all (3As)!!!:rock:
That is definitely a huge improvement compared to last season, yet if you say she is 50/50 on 3A this season it doesn't really show the difference.
You are right and I see it doesn't mean much if she lands them but keeps losing points because they get downgraded, but this is exactly the part I absolutely hate about COP (though I generally like it much more than 6.0). You never know what to expect.
I bet last season the very same 3As wouldn't get downgraded as often (if at all). This year the UR calls have gotten extremely strict, while the e calls on the other hand got much more lenient. Is it good or bad? I don't even know what to think about it anymore.
The trend of this season it seems is to downgrade just about anything that ends with 3L. I would really like to see how this combo should ideally be done if Mao's or Miki's execution isn't good enough. :frown2:
We can only guess what's going to happen next season. Will they get more lenient about URs as they got about the e calls so we can almost get back to what we had in 2006/2007?
Thinking about it all, even though at first I liked the idea to have more emphasis on correct take off edges and rotating the jumps, the way it actually works now makes me hope that we can at least go back to what we had then.

I think the thread title refers to the article on Mao in the Japanese newspaper linked in the first post.

Star85

Rinkside
I have noticed Mao getting deductions more than ever this season for under rotating also. The judges are apparently getting more picky about this, but are they singling her out more? Or is she really under rotating that much more often than other skaters? Under rotating is often difficult for me to recognize from the camera angle I get to see, on top of me not even being a skater.

Even though Mao is thriving under the new system, I think she would be thriving even more in the old 6.0 system. Majority of the time, she skates beautifully to the naked, untrained eye. Things she has problems with, like wrong edges and under rotations got a lot more slack in the 6.0 system, and she comes off to me as the type of skater who did the best in that system. I still think the old system and the new system are bitter sweet in their own ways...

frozenhell

Rinkside
Is another rule change coming? Mao is so focused on getting her 3sal on track that she got rid of her 3L from her program this season. Only plausible explanation for this is that new rule might award bonus points for doing all 5 triples.
Of course it is possible that Mao just wanted to show she can do salchow but it is hard to beleive only ego is her motivation to master salchow.

Star85

Rinkside
Actually, that was a dumb question. The judges probably aren't singling her out on that. Although sometimes it seems like the judges single out certain skaters on certain mistakes, just to teach them a lesson or something.

gourry

Final Flight
Is another rule change coming? Mao is so focused on getting her 3sal on track that she got rid of her 3L from her program this season. Only plausible explanation for this is that new rule might award bonus points for doing all 5 triples.
Of course it is possible that Mao just wanted to show she can do salchow but it is hard to beleive only ego is her motivation to master salchow.

I think it's simply because she chose to do 3A and 3F twice. She can't do loop as single jump because she is already doing it in combination. Her doing 3S is just to maximize her score. Getting rid of 3L doesn't have anything to do with 3S I guess. Or, given the fact that her 3F-3L attemps have never been ratified this season, she could just forget about it and do 3F-2L and 3L as single jump instead of 3S or 3T or 2A. In this way, she can focus on 3A with one less burden.

harmy18

Rinkside
I think the best choice for Mao is to pick her 3F-3T up, since 3F-3L is rarely ratified, she should change her strategy.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
If she want to maximized points.....just do
3A+2T+2Lo, 3A, 3Lz, 3F+3T, 3S, 2A+3Lo, 2A instead. I'm sure 2A+3Lo will be more easier than 3F+3Lo so UR will not be an issue and it get 1 more point than 2A+3T and she complete all types of triples if they do give out bonus points for doing it.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

I was wondering the same thing after watching her program at nationals. I understand that the loops in her 3/3 combos have been downgraded, but I don't ever remember her solo 3 loops or the ones she did preceding 2 loops being downgraded. I think she should bring back the 3 loop/2 loop/2 loop. She alwasy nailed that!