Mao’s New Grand Challenge for 2010 Vancouver Olymphic | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mao’s New Grand Challenge for 2010 Vancouver Olymphic

yunaddiction

Rinkside
Mao looked tired during her step sequence which was slower than before.
It's quite understandable since her program was very tough one for ladies.
And one fall in her LP.

Yuna was not OK with a cold too.
Hard breath at the end of SP.
3Lz not completed.
And after all, a crucial fall on 3S.

Even though Mao is stronger than Yuna, she need bigger & exhuasting jumps to come up with Yuna's textbook jumps & artistry.
So the chance is still fifty-fifty for the both.

Now it seems to become the war of attrition.
Defeated if exhausted.:cool:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Mao looked tired during her step sequence which was slower than before.
It's quite understandable since her program was very tough one for ladies.
And one fall in her LP.

I noticed that too. She was flying through her step sequence in NHK, but was much slower at the GPF. Her fall was a pretty hard one, it probably knocked the wind out of her.

frozenhell

Rinkside
Yu-Na is only at risk when compared to Mao's new program, because Mao can lose a big combo and still get enough points to compete with Yu-Na fair and square. The problem I see with Yu-Na's programs is that she is lacking any "in the middle" jumps. She uses high value jumps (2 Lz's, 1Flip, 3Ts only in combination, and 3 2A's). Her 3S in the program is by far her weakest jump, and she seems to be having trouble completing both 3Lzs. The risk she has is that if by chance she misses her 3F+3T combo, it could knock her right off the podium at worst... and for Gold in that scenario, Mao would probably have to miss 2 combos at the very least. Yu-Na is still mainly relying on one jump pass: the 3F+3T. But with Mao's addition of 2 3A's... she can afford to miss one of them, so she isn't relying on just that solo 3A anymore and/or the second 3-3 combo.

I don't think 3S is Yu Na's weakest jump. If it is her weakest jump, she won't put 3S in her gala program. It should have more to do with stamina, not jump itself.
Now I will be absolutely shocked if Tarasova allows Mao to keep trying two 3A program until olympics. As long as she puts only 4 trples in her lp, Two 3A doesn't increase base value over one 3A and 6 triples program.
Considering how close her 2nd 3A was to UR in GPF and downgraded in NHK, Mao shouldn't count on landing two 3A. Cosntructing program shoudn't be based on assumption that sakter will be at absolute 100%.

Last edited:

KayMil01

On the Ice
Wow. You know that's crazy once you think about it...just one 3A is considered a great feat by a lady, but 2 3A's?! that's just nuts! Mao's not my favorite skater but she is good...gotta hand it to her...relearning jumps in just a few months, 2 3A's...:clap:

saltypig

Rinkside
That's just how Mao will practice and plan on doing going into the FS at the Olympics but when it comes time to skate the free skate at the Olympics I think it will depend on who skates first and what score she has after the short. For example look at Arakawa at the 2006 Olympics - she skated last and knew she didn't need the triple triple she had planned and practiced for so she just went for the triple double and skated cleanly and won gold.

ks777

Record Breaker
That's just how Mao will practice and plan on doing going into the FS at the Olympics but when it comes time to skate the free skate at the Olympics I think it will depend on who skates first and what score she has after the short. For example look at Arakawa at the 2006 Olympics - she skated last and knew she didn't need the triple triple she had planned and practiced for so she just went for the triple double and skated cleanly and won gold.

actually Sasha skated first, Arakawa next then Slutskaya last among the top 3.

Medusa

Record Breaker
That's right and back then I thought "That girl just wants to make sure she gets a medal" - she could have never known that Slutskaya would also bomb. Arakawa skated to secure a medal.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I think Shizuka was going for the silver--that is why she didn't do the 3-3. It was in the bag for her if she stayed on her feet. When Irina had a meltdown, Shizuka ended up with the gold.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think Shizuka knew that is she was clean she would beat Sasha and then anything could happen. Even if Irina had skated well and beat Shizuka, Shizuka still would have been happy...it was not as if she was a favorite for the gold. By skating clean, she put the pressure on Irina. Irina knew she had to be clean, and to make up for her lack of artistry throw in a 3/3, neither of which she did successfully.

yukster

Spectator

Well, I don't think that will be the case with Mao... Of course, the Oly is a long way off and I can't speak for Mao, but she just doesn't seem like a person who will play it safe to secure a medal. :)
She is great as she is now, but she never gets satisfied with the status quo but keeps improving, setting high goals for herself and pushing herself... That's why I like this girl,,, so inspiring!! :clap:

bethissoawesome

On the Ice
I don't think 3S is Yu Na's weakest jump. If it is her weakest jump, she won't put 3S in her gala program. It should have more to do with stamina, not jump itself.
Now I will be absolutely shocked if Tarasova allows Mao to keep trying two 3A program until olympics. As long as she puts only 4 trples in her lp, Two 3A doesn't increase base value over one 3A and 6 triples program.
Considering how close her 2nd 3A was to UR in GPF and downgraded in NHK, Mao shouldn't count on landing two 3A. Cosntructing program shoudn't be based on assumption that sakter will be at absolute 100%.

The 3A allows Mao to be able to do an 8 triple program instead of a 7 triple program... that's a pretty big advantage that I doubt she will let go of.

Star85

Rinkside
I think Mao is totally capable of that if she keeps her nerves under control - which she is usually pretty good at. Then again, at the olympics, nerves get to almost every skater, and many times, it's the skaters who keep their cool who wins. I would love to see her pull off three triple axles though! I love her skating, and I hope she makes history like that :)

I don't know how you all got started on Evans costumes, but I don't see whats so bad about them! I've also heard people say that the cross in his costume is offensive. Why? I don't think he would be wearing it if he weren't a Christian, and it didn't mean something to him. No, it doesn't have anything to do with his program, but I don't think it's offensive.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
The 3A allows Mao to be able to do an 8 triple program instead of a 7 triple program... that's a pretty big advantage that I doubt she will let go of.

The ladies are only allowed 7 triples max, so when Mao does 2 triple axles, she can only do 5 other triples, and that includes the 2 from her 3/3 combo.
Mao and Yu-na will plan the same # of triples, but the girl who competes the most difficult jumps the cleanest will win.

Star85

Rinkside
The ladies are only allowed 7 triples max, so when Mao does 2 triple axles, she can only do 5 other triples, and that includes the 2 from her 3/3 combo.
Mao and Yu-na will plan the same # of triples, but the girl who competes the most difficult jumps the cleanest will win.

I forgot about that rule :( That kind of sucks. I love watching the jumps, and if someone wants to load their program with jumps, I have no problem with that! I suppose they could do extra if they wanted, but they wouldn't get credit for them, and therefore, it would be pretty stupid to take the risk.

I think you can do 8 if you have a triple Axel. Not only does this give you an extra triple to work with, but also you don't have to use a jumping pass (in the LP) for a double Axel.

So you could do

3A, 3A+2T, 3F, 3F+3T, 3Lz, 3Lo, 3S.

Six different kinds of triples, with two repeated.

You could also do 3A, 3Lz+3Lo, 3Lz, 3F+3T, 3F, 3S. That's 8 triples in 6 jumping passes, with Lz and F repeated. And you have another pass left to do 2A+2A seq. :laugh:

bekalc

Record Breaker
let go of.

No...Your only allowed 7 jumping passes

You can only repeat 2 triples

One jumping pass must include an axel.

So if you can do (toe, salchow, loop, flip, lutz, and axel than you are allowed to do 8 triples)

Bennett

Record Breaker
Her Nationals LP was shocking in terms of the score. She only got 49.39 for her base value and 54.67 for TES because of the downgrades on 3As and 3-3. They looked so great at the real time though. Mao's performances have often been like that lately. But this may be one of the worst scenarios that they may need to keep in mind.

Yet, it would be hard to tell beforehand. Her URs are so subtle that we almost always have to wait until the scores come up. Looks like that TAT could not tell them, either, during the performances because she always looks very happy for her 3As and 3-3s whenever she lands them (seemingly) cleanly.

Isn't it scary that you and your coach can't know for sure how well you did until the score comes up after the slow-mo was examined elsewhere? Then it would be hard to make decisions about them going into the comp. It would be really stressful. I feel sorry for her.