Mao Asada decides not to compete in 2014-2015 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada decides not to compete in 2014-2015

Meoima

Match Penalty
She deserves a vacation, but a whole year?
You mean she doesn't deserved a whole year taking rest after non-stop competing in senior for nearly a decade? :confused:

I am not her fan but I can remember hearing her name in competition for like...years and years.

There is a chance she might retire after this one year, though.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The end of the triple axel unless she comes back. It might never be done ever again. All practice reports show no one even tries it except one person said Mae Berenice tried it. It's over. A jump will never be done again.

Crystallize

On the Ice
The end of the triple axel unless she comes back. It might never be done ever again. All practice reports show no one even tries it except one person said Mae Berenice tried it. It's over. A jump will never be done again.

I don't know about never. I do think it might be a while. A long while.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I don't know about never. I do think it might be a while. A long while.
Miyabi Oba can land a triple axel in pratice, and wasn't that far off a successful landing in competition last December, at Japanese nationals.

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Joshi Helgesson lands 3 axels at practise:)

There are videos of it but I can't find it right now :(

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
For my selfish self, I am a bit bummed. But for Mao's sake, I'm glad, because it means she can lift her head up and see what else is going on in life. As Mathman says, she is one of the all-time greats, profoundly artistic as well as technically commanding. How lucky we are to have been able to watch her all these years. Perhaps we'll get to see some more from her in the future.

Ditto! Mao's beauty, artistry and command of the ice will be missed!

thom

Rinkside
Could someone translate the news release to English please? THANK YOU in advance.

hurrah

Medalist
Mao!! :cry:

Of course she totally deserves a break like no other, but I have been missing her already for so long.

My current interest in figureskating is nearing zero.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Really really glad to read this! :yes: The last thing she needs at the moment is to keep training and competing, she really needs some rest to heal (I know she has some physical problems, just as most of the 20+ top skaters) and (if she will ever want to do it) come back healthy and ready! I hope Daisuke will do something like this, too...

ioanablabla

On the Ice
Country
Romania
Some of her fans are optimistic because they see the possibility of Mao coming back. However, I don't see it. I don't think Mao will come back. She said her self that the only way to continue skating is to have a clear goal. Her goal was Sochi, that came and went. I don't see Mao setting another long term goal as 2018 Olympics. Despite the Olympics results, I think Mao was content after her HISTORIC LP and 3rd world title.

And world record.

minze

Medalist
Mao!! :cry:

Of course she totally deserves a break like no other, but I have been missing her already for so long.

My current interest in figureskating is nearing zero.

Same here. Elena my only hope....

gotoschool

Medalist
Could someone translate the news release to English please? THANK YOU in advance.

Here is a translation of what Mao said in the press conference from maoasadaforum.com

The reason why you decided to take a break: “I didn’t skip a season in my competitive figure skating career so far. When I was a child, I could skate 365 days a year without feeling tired. I competed against my sister (Mai) and my motivation was that I didn’t want to lose to her. After I entered the senior, I felt a lot of pressure and I came to realize that keeping concentration and all the attentions during practices were giving burden physically and mentally.

“After the Sochi Olympics season was over, I thought I’ve accomplished it, but I didn’t come to conclude that I wanted to retire. Because my body and heart are all tired out, I though I should take a break.” (After Sochi and when she was thinking about her future) “I have been on the ice as usual for the show. I had been working so hard without taking a break, so I thought I needed a rest.”

“The Sochi Olympics season was really over. That’s the biggest thing I feel now and I have nothing in particular what I really want to do now. I started taking classes at my uni again so I think studying will be my main activity, but I want to keep skating as well.”

No concern for taking a break for the first time in your life? : “NO. I feel brand new when I think about the days ahead without skating.”

About 2018 Olympics: “I have no image at all (that I will be skating in it.)” “I’m not quite sure if I will continue as a competitive figure skater or not. It’s just that I cannot work hard for another season. After I had a good rest for a year for my heart and body, I may feel I want to compete once again or I may feel I’m done. I don’t know. It’s “half-half (50-50)”.

gotoschool

Medalist
I am glad overall she is taking time off because she looked so stressed at the Olympics and in the LP at World Championships and she has delivered so many unforgettable performances. I just want to thank her for all the marvelous artistry, technical mastery and dramatic storytelling she has given us; and now that she has worn herself out, she deserves a hard-earned rest. Time to enjoy the fruits of her success and her youth without so much pressure.

I remember seeing her stingy scores in the Sochi LP she had trained her whole life to perform and watching the scores in her World's LP plummet on so many bogus tech calls and thought, "Nobody especially Mao who has given and devoted so much to the sport should be treated so shabbily. Instead, she deserves to treated with dignity. " She is too great an athlete, too consummate an artist, and too rich in spirit to continue being abused by the ISU. I don't know how much of a role if any this has played in her wanting to take a break, but it's one reason I thought it might be better for her health to quit competitive skating. In addition, the Biellmann has been causing her back pain.

But, I really don't want her to because I will be down in the dumps and blue without more Mao to carry me through.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well deserved. She's been through a lot it seems and you can tell it wore on her. She and Kim have dominated the past two Oly cycles and it's the end of an era.

Sounds like she is in the early stages of moving on from a mental standpoint. I don't expect we'll see her back, as is the case with all other skaters who take a break (with exception of Kim).

cooper

Medalist
Well deserved. She's been through a lot it seems and you can tell it wore on her. She and Kim have dominated the past two Oly cycles and it's the end of an era.

Sounds like she is in the early stages of moving on from a mental standpoint. I don't expect we'll see her back, as is the case with all other skaters who take a break (with exception of Kim).

i doubt yuna is coming back..

next season will be the first time we're not going to see mao, yuna, akiko, miki, and possibly carolina.. sounds depressing..