Mao Asada plans to retire after Sochi | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada plans to retire after Sochi

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
The next 'star' candidate would be Marin Honda, and she is 12-years-old now. Otherwise, there is just Yuzuru post-Sochi, but with his injuries and stamina problems, who knows how he will fare.

I agree about Marin Honda as the future in Japanese ladies
also there is Shoma Uno for the men

Thanks for the translation, Hurrah. I'm sad, but I will support her intention and look forward to hearing about whatever she does next, whether it's involved with skating or outside of it.

One especially poignant moment in the interview was the question "Did you consult anyone around you?" I'm sure Mao had a moment of wishing that she could have talked it over with her mother.

I can't think about the future of skating right now, either in Japan or the world. I just want to savor the skaters we have and not think ahead. Thank goodness for YouTube.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Mao looks sweet, but she is stubborn to a fault. I think she wont change her mind. No one will be able to.
Sad day for figure skating as she is one of my all time favorites

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree about Marin Honda as the future in Japanese ladies
also there is Shoma Uno for the men

I don't even consider a 12 year old as the future of skating no matter how good they are at they age. All they are is jumping beans who will soon grow and perhaps lose their jumps. Let's see how good they are at 15,16 before we even talk about them being the future of anything.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I remember seeing her at the 2005 World Juniors for the first time. I was amazed someone so young was so great, and I agree with what Tracy Wilson on TSN said, that she was the best 15 year old she ever saw (even if Tara has the Oly Gold at that age). I think it is tragic she was not allowed to compete at the 2006 Olympics where she probably would have won the Oly Gold she still lacks today, and might always lack. She will definitely be remembered for the soft and elegant touch she brought to the ice, the incredible lightness of her skating, pushing the envelope technically and taking huge risks, and for great longevity in the sport.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
that OGM will elude her, I think Mao's peak was at 2006 and I agree she would have won OGM in Turin

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I don't even consider a 12 year old as the future of skating no matter how good they are at they age. All they are is jumping beans who will soon grow and perhaps lose their jumps. Let's see how good they are at 15,16 before we even talk about them being the future of anything.

Exceptions are: Midori Ito. At 12, she was the first to do 3T-3T, 2A-3T, 2A-3Sal. When you are so young, and can do so so many things FIRST, you are going to be the future.
Miki Ando. At 13 or 14, she was landing quad FIRST. Landing difficult 3x3 like nothing. At that point, you know she will be world champion.
Mao Asada. At 13 or 14, she was landing 3A and 3x3. At that point, you know she will be world champion.

If you are 12 yo, can do some 3x3, you are still dime in a dozen.
If suddenly, you're landing quad toe and 3A or whatever, then yes, you are the future.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Miki has never been the future of skating. She lucked out and won a couple World titles when others didn't get the job done. As for the quad that doesn't tell you that someone is going to be good enough to become a World champion. And just how many did she ever do anyways?

mary01

Final Flight
I remember seeing her at the 2005 World Juniors for the first time. I was amazed someone so young was so great, and I agree with what Tracy Wilson on TSN said, that she was the best 15 year old she ever saw (even if Tara has the Oly Gold at that age). I think it is tragic she was not allowed to compete at the 2006 Olympics where she probably would have won the Oly Gold she still lacks today, and might always lack. She will definitely be remembered for the soft and elegant touch she brought to the ice, the incredible lightness of her skating, pushing the envelope technically and taking huge risks, and for great longevity in the sport.

OMG you really saw Mao live when she won junior worlds in 2005 :eek:
if I remember right from having watched that video hundreds of times, there weren't that many people in the stadium, and to be one of the few who watched history be made that day, so incredibly lucky, man i really envy you, what an experience!

OMG you really saw Mao live when she won junior worlds in 2005 :eek:
if I remember right from having watched that video hundreds of times, there weren't that many people in the stadium, and to be one of the few who watched history be made that day, so incredibly lucky, man i really envy you, what an experience!

I envy you too, Pangtongfan.

The first time I saw her skate (on TV, unfortunately), she seemed to be made of air. While I'm sorry she couldn't compete in the Olympics that year, I have loved so many aspects of her skating in the years up to now, many of which Pangtongfan mentioned: "...the soft and elegant touch she brought to the ice, the incredible lightness of her skating..." being my two favorites that PTFan mentioned. With or without Olympic gold (and I would love to see her win), for me she will always be riveting to watch.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I think she really needs a break. I always saw her as a very competitive athlete who really enjoys skating so I am surprised to see her considering retirement as the age of 22. She said this is the way she feels now. Maybe the fact that she has only one year left motivates her to do her best. Who knows how she'll feel after Sochi. I doubt she'll skip 2014 Worlds in Japan. She is my favorite skater and the day she'll retire will be a sad day. I can only hope next season she'll be able to have the performance of her life at Sochi and leave competition on a high note.
With Mao, Yuna, Caro, S/S, V/T, probably V/M and D/W retiring, figure skating will get depressing for a while. If there is some hope left in ladies and men (talented junior skaters), I am still waiting for a pair/ ice dance team to emerge on the scene. Just think at the pairs event: what's gonna happen after S/S and V/T retire? And when are we going to see an ice dance team as good as V/M and D/W?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Every sports have to be the big stars! I see Yuzu..and..? I'm curious who will be.

altuixde

On the Ice
All good things really do come to an end. The news of her upcoming retirement really hit me hard. Now I'm realizing that I've been taking Mao's skating for granted for the past seven years.

avalyn

Rinkside
I find this sad as well, along with the other possible retirements. I've seen fans criticize skaters for coming back to multiple Olympics when they've already medalled there, as if it's greedy in some way, and that they want to see new people on the podium instead. But I can't relate to that sentiment at all, I'll be sad to see Yuna, Mao, Carolina, Akiko, Kanako, etc. gone. I hope the younger skaters will rise to the occasion, but I admit at this point in time I'm not as excited watching many of them as the veterans.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The future will bring about a new day and new stars. We already have Gold, Max Aaron, Chock and Bates, Weaver and Poje, Hanyu, Fernandez and even kevin reynolds. Sometimes you need to thin and weed out skaters to let the next crop grow in. Skaters like K and S, Squared and P and T even Carolina and joubert have been around for a long time hogging the limelight. All in the hope of Oly gold or even a medal.

Reginald

Match Penalty
Quote from 2010
Wow! Note to Rest of World: Lift game in Ladies Skating. Japan has a seemingly inexhaustible supply of great young skating ladies storming the barriers for at least...oh...the rest of my lifetime.

My, how quickly things change.

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
I just thought of something the next WTT will be hosted by the japanese federation and I will they be still be able to draw a big audience with out any of their top stars for Team Japan? No Mao, Akiko, Kanako, Daisuke etc..

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I find this sad as well, along with the other possible retirements. I've seen fans criticize skaters for coming back to multiple Olympics when they've already medalled there, as if it's greedy in some way, and that they want to see new people on the podium instead. But I can't relate to that sentiment at all, I'll be sad to see Yuna, Mao, Carolina, Akiko, Kanako, etc. gone. I hope the younger skaters will rise to the occasion, but I admit at this point in time I'm not as excited watching many of them as the veterans.

I don't know if i would put Murakami in that list of skaters. Besides the fact that she hasn't accomplished nearly as much as Mao, Yuna. Kostner or Akiko have she's only 18 and has been a Senior skater for only 3 years. She is still one of the young skaters. And i agree with Skater Boy we have some skaters who are trying for a 3rd or 4th Olympics in hope of that elusive medal. I wonder if the Russian girls or Gracie or Osmond were a bit older and had more experience and were right up their with the veterans if skaters like Kostner would be sticking around until Sochi? That's what i enjoy about the Olympics being every 4 years it usually meant a new crop of girls fighting for Gold not the same girls from 4 years previous.

96skiluvr

On the Ice
Is this assuming she wins, though? One of the top contenders, Carolina, will be 28 at Sochi. It's not totally unfathomable that Mao or Yuna might make it to Pyongyang. Then again, everyone peaks differently.

I believe you mean Pyongchang? Pyongyang is the capital of North Korea.......make sure your statements are correct before you post them