Mao Asada | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Mao Asada

iceberg

On the Ice
I am not good with names but the coreogrspher who did Jason Brown' Riverdance. Pasquale Carmenlego, his programs for Akiko were beautiful

I am also not familiar with Pasquale but i agree Akikos programs are beautiful.

But speaking of Jason Brown, I just knew now he skated Liebestraum as well in his Junior Worlds LP. I wonder if he was influenced by Mao too. :)

bebece

Rinkside
mao oh mao
how much i miss u now
what are u doing now
hope Christmas come soon enough

So much maturity and elegance at such a young age. Just watched her DVD Smile earlier. Couldn't ubderstand some parts but still so touched by it. Love Mao <3

how many DVD does she have? is Smile her new one?
after the 2010 Oly, she also release some DVD i thing

i hope in the future she release some blue ray instead
all that glorious perform-ens in 1080p

bebece

Rinkside
if mao decided to make a comebeck next season, does she need to compete at a B competition or not?
does it depends on her rank in ISU

what about national competition, does she need to compete at regional to qualify at nat?
when was the last time she compete at regional competition?
i dont remember seeing a video of her compete at regional, at least not since her senior year

gotoschool

Medalist
if mao decided to make a comebeck next season, does she need to compete at a B competition or not?
does it depends on her rank in ISU

what about national competition, does she need to compete at regional to qualify at nat?
when was the last time she compete at regional competition?
i dont remember seeing a video of her compete at regional, at least not since her senior year

I don't know much about this, bebece. But, these are just my thoughts. Since Mao was ranked number 1 at the end of last season, I don't see how she could possibly fall low enough to force her to qualify for the Grand Prix or Nationals, especially since she will almost certainly still be rated as the highest Japanese lady. As far as the Grand Prix, I think a country like Japan that does OK at Worlds can send a lot of skaters to the Grand Prix, and Mao would be their top choice. Besides, Mao will compete in the Grand Prix before Nationals, so this will surely move her up in the rankings before Nationals.

Last edited:

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
mao oh mao
how much i miss u now
what are u doing now
hope Christmas come soon enough

how many DVD does she have? is Smile her new one?
after the 2010 Oly, she also release some DVD i thing

i hope in the future she release some blue ray instead
all that glorious perform-ens in 1080p

I am not sure how many she got but I guess this is a little recent (or at least post-Sochi). It featured some of her preparations for Sochi and included her Sochi FS. I saw it in Amazon Japan website, but no subtitles though. I tried looking for it in Youtube but cannot find it... But I liked it, and got a little teary-eyed when Lori was talking about her. :eek::

bebece

Rinkside
okay new topic

who makes mao costumie ?

i have seen some video with dai, akiko, taka-chan, yuzuru and kanako in the proses of making and fitting their costume
but none of mao
i know TAT usually make mao costume
but what about lori program
who makes her clair de lune, nocturne or fantasia costume

bebece

Rinkside
does mao ever had any serious injury ? does she ever had surgery ?
the japan team sometimes had some serious injury
like miki and her shoulder, dai and his knee, taka with his hip

how came she seems like have no serious injury, even tho she practice 3A since she was so young and other difficult jump and element
and never take season off until now

i mean we hear so many athlete that have injury in one point in their careear
and how much this sport is actually harder or have more difficulty n make damage to athlete body
is it pure luck that she never had serious injury or what

gotoschool

Medalist
Um..I have only heard about her injury is the pain in her lower back.

One poster at Mao Asada forum said that Mao had numbness in her legs and a lot of pain in her back during Worlds 2013. Mao did seem to be very stiff at Nationals in her 2013 freeskate and immediately afterwards she couldn't skate for several weeks because of a back injury. Also, I remember reading that she broke a finger a week or two before Nationals, I believe it was in 2006, yet she still skated the best she ever did overall at Nationals. I have also read that she has had recurring back pain for quite a few years (occupational hazard of a lot of Biellmanns). Finally, in several places I have read that Mao doesn't reveal her injuries to the public. I can't find the sources for all this information now though.

Last edited:

Franklin99

Medalist
does mao ever had any serious injury ? does she ever had surgery ?
the japan team sometimes had some serious injury
like miki and her shoulder, dai and his knee, taka with his hip

how came she seems like have no serious injury, even tho she practice 3A since she was so young and other difficult jump and element
and never take season off until now

i mean we hear so many athlete that have injury in one point in their careear
and how much this sport is actually harder or have more difficulty n make damage to athlete body
is it pure luck that she never had serious injury or what

According to an article someone at Mao Asada Forum translated, Sato talked about how Mao was suffering chronic pain in her lower back throughout the GP season and in Nationals last year. Due to her prolonged rest from Nationals until the Olympics, she was able to heal and skate without any pain by the time the Olympics came.

My opinion is, the reason we don't hear about Mao's suffering is because Mao doesn't talk about it. She doesn't use injuries, or family issues as an excuse for having bad performances/seasons. She tend to fight her battles silently, and fight to better herself during competitions. So unless her coach(es)/Sponsors mentions anything in that regards, we won't hear about it. I love that she's not afraid to shows us her weakness (competing while reworking her jumps/elements during 2010-11 season), but she doesn't make excuses when she fails. Although hers would be more valid than some of those we kept hearing about.

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
okay new topic

who makes mao costumie ?

i have seen some video with dai, akiko, taka-chan, yuzuru and kanako in the proses of making and fitting their costume
but none of mao
i know TAT usually make mao costume
but what about lori program
who makes her clair de lune, nocturne or fantasia costume

As we've already known, Mao's previous costumes have been made at different places including Canada, Russia (from Tarasova), and perhaps some in Japan. I'm quite certain that for the 13-14 Oly season her costumes were made in Japan. Actually, here's the designer's blog entry that describes the remaking of Mao's Oly costumes for the Exhibition of Mao's costumes over the years by Takashimaya earlier this year (sorry, the blog is in Japanese!)
http://www.hamiru.com/blog/hamiru/真央ちゃんの伝説の衣裳/
Adding: note for the FS costume, the original design was probably not done by this Japan designer? IIRC, the FS costume was originally made in Russia?

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
According to an article someone at Mao Asada Forum translated, Sato talked about how Mao was suffering chronic pain in her lower back throughout the GP season and in Nationals last year. Due to her prolonged rest from Nationals until the Olympics, she was able to heal and skate without any pain by the time the Olympics came.

My opinion is, the reason we don't hear about Mao's suffering is because Mao doesn't talk about it. She doesn't use injuries, or family issues as an excuse for having bad performances/seasons. She tend to fight her battles silently, and fight to better herself during competitions. So unless her coach(es)/Sponsors mentions anything in that regards, we won't hear about it. I love that she's not afraid to shows us her weakness (competing while reworking her jumps/elements during 2010-11 season), but she doesn't make excuses when she fails. Although hers would be more valid than some of those we kept hearing about.

I think it's great that Mao doesn't use excuses when her performances aren't their best because of injuries. It's very noble.

Last edited:

Globetrotter

Medalist
I just think that Mao is the best at summoning up the emotions and spirit of great Russian compositions because she is magnificent at ballet and steps....

I wish to see her try skating to Isaak Schvarts Melodii Beloj Nochi (~Melody of the white nights) - it was used only once by Maria Butyrskaya for her SP in 2001. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIQIVUIifGk. It was the theme to a 1976 Soviet Japanese collaboration movie with the leading male and female Russian and Japanese. I think Mao has the goods and the persona and maturity to carry this off. I can't see any of the current Russian tsarinas or US / Japanese wannabes having the maturity and grace to carry this off. Besides Mao, the only other skater I can think of who could possibly wing it will be Carolina Kostner who is incidentally the only other skater who can match Mao in grace and footwork.

bebece

Rinkside
wow thanks for all the answer
chronic back pain, is that way she love to bring her mattress everywhere, she always bring 2, the big one for her bed n small one for streching n to cover her airplane seat

and she damaged the ligament of her left ankle right before her victory in world
i would never thought that she had that injury seeing beautiful fantasia for violin n orchestra

how many book did she have 6? (from age 15,16,17,18,19,20 n her charity book)