Matrix Nova | Golden Skate

Matrix Nova

Mimi2789

Rinkside
I currently skate on Gold Stars, but my boot broke necessitating new skates. My new boots are a different brand so I cannot move my beloved Gold Stars onto them because they take a different size blade. My tech can get me a fantastic discount on a pair of Matrix Nova that were sharpened but never skated on, and I'm tempted by the offer because they're about $300 less than the Gold Stars (and the new skates are an unplanned expense). According to Ultima's website and my tech the Nova are the "Matrix version" of the Gold Star, but I don't know anyone who uses them and can't find much discussion of them online. I asked a couple skaters and techs that I know for advice, and most had never heard of the blade, but one told me that it was a terrible blade and to avoid at all costs but wasn't able to be more specific as to why... So skate and blade gurus of Golden Skate, what is the deal with the Nova? Should I go for the deal on the Novas or spring for the replacement Gold Stars? Also, is the Matrix hype real? Do they actually stay sharper longer?

silverlily1

On the Ice
I can say not everyone can sharpen matrix blades. And that there are several "this is like this" blade comparisons and I've never heard of someone trying both blades in any comparison and agreeing that they're the same.

Having Gold Stars myself, that I recently switched to a few months back from Jackson (but not Matrix), I'd personally stay with the Gold Stars. Getting used to new blades is annoying. And Gold Stars are nice.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I currently skate on Gold Stars, but my boot broke necessitating new skates. My new boots are a different brand so I cannot move my beloved Gold Stars onto them because they take a different size blade. My tech can get me a fantastic discount on a pair of Matrix Nova that were sharpened but never skated on, and I'm tempted by the offer because they're about $300 less than the Gold Stars (and the new skates are an unplanned expense). According to Ultima's website and my tech the Nova are the "Matrix version" of the Gold Star, but I don't know anyone who uses them and can't find much discussion of them online. I asked a couple skaters and techs that I know for advice, and most had never heard of the blade, but one told me that it was a terrible blade and to avoid at all costs but wasn't able to be more specific as to why... So skate and blade gurus of Golden Skate, what is the deal with the Nova? Should I go for the deal on the Novas or spring for the replacement Gold Stars? Also, is the Matrix hype real? Do they actually stay sharper longer?
Hi, despite the great offer and the temptation to try the Nova, don't. They have a separate runner from the chassis that requires a special jig to sharpen and not all sharpeners have them nor do they know how to sharpen these blades. I've worn them and they didn't increase my times b/t sharpenings and I just disliked them so much I went back to my P99's. So, my advice is, if you love your Gold Stars, just get new size of those to fit your new boots.

Good luck! :)

Mimi2789

Rinkside
Hi, despite the great offer and the temptation to try the Nova, don't. They have a separate runner from the chassis that requires a special jig to sharpen and not all sharpeners have them nor do they know how to sharpen these blades. I've worn them and they didn't increase my times b/t sharpenings and I just disliked them so much I went back to my P99's. So, my advice is, if you love your Gold Stars, just get new size of those to fit your new boots.

Good luck! :)
I am familiar with the particularities of the Matrix re: sharpening, but this would not be an issue because the sharpener I use (who is phenomenal) is apparently highly skilled at sharpening Matrix blades, as are two other techs in town. If the sharpening won't be an issue is there anything inherently bad about the profile of the Nova? I've only had my Gold Stars for less than a year (which is a shame) so while I love them, I don't have a long history with them that would make switching blades especially difficult.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I am familiar with the particularities of the Matrix re: sharpening, but this would not be an issue because the sharpener I use (who is phenomenal) is apparently highly skilled at sharpening Matrix blades, as are two other techs in town. If the sharpening won't be an issue is there anything inherently bad about the profile of the Nova? I've only had my Gold Stars for less than a year (which is a shame) so while I love them, I don't have a long history with them that would make switching blades especially difficult.
I can't talk about the science much, I can only give you anecdotal advice of how they feel.
To me, it matrix blades were much more scratchy for spins, turns more effort etc. Jumps pretty identical, no benefit. Just not my favourite.

Mimi2789

Rinkside
I can't talk about the science much, I can only give you anecdotal advice of how they feel.
To me, it matrix blades were much more scratchy for spins, turns more effort etc. Jumps pretty identical, no benefit. Just not my favourite.
Thanks, that's interesting to hear - I found the last pair of Ultima blades I had to be very scratchy.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They're scratchy as others have said, and I felt like they were too flat if that makes sense. I hated spinning on them.