Max Aaron quad Axel attempt | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Max Aaron quad Axel attempt

LyraAngelica

On the Ice
I love that he's trying for it but man it really does highlight the sport has become a game of numbers and jumps.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I initially read the thread title as "Mao Asada Quad Axel Attempt" and nearly hyperventilated.

But if she could do it ... OMFG.

LyraAngelica

On the Ice
:scratch::unsure:

I'm unsure of that post as well lol. I blame too much coffee and not enough water. I think it's great what's he's trying to do. But, I am also saying the sport has moved into being more about the jumps, spins, etc.. I'm just old, pay me no mind lol

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
I initially read the thread title as "Mao Asada Quad Axel Attempt" and nearly hyperventilated.

But if she could do it ... OMFG.

I was too shy to post, but this is exactly what I initially read. :hopelessness:

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
I just happened to read the thread on Gracie Gold's 3A, which included a harness. There was a video there too.

It's funny the overall response people in general seem to have to athletic feats attempted by women vs. men. I find the messages on this thread pretty encouraging toward Max generally. There's a "boys will be boys" theme here: skaters need to do fun things, else they'll get bored, etc.

In contrast, in the GG thread, people say things like "she's got more important things to work on," and "even Alissa Czisny could do a triple axel in a harness."

Well, maybe Alissa Czisny could do a quadruple axel in a harness. And maybe anonymous posters on figure skating forums could be sensitive to their implicit biases.

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
@Pepe Nero, to be fair, if you check Mariah Bell's 3A thread there is a lot of excitement for her. I assume this is because Mariah+Max's videos are new, whereas Gracie's is several years old & she has just received a lot of flack for her 4CC performances (which I don't agree with, but that is another matter), so people aren't very enthusiastic on the topic of her practicing 'new' jumps.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
@Pepe Nero, to be fair, if you check Mariah Bell's 3A thread there is a lot of excitement for her. I assume this is because Mariah+Max's videos are new, whereas Gracie's is several years old & she has just received a lot of flack for her 4CC performances (which I don't agree with, but that is another matter), so people aren't very enthusiastic on the topic of her practicing 'new' jumps.

Yeah, I can see that reading of it (i.e., that people are just impatient and frustrated with Gold right now). I did just read the Bell thread. I agree it's more positive than the Gold thread. But there's still a disparity, or so I detect. (Of course, it's a different set of people, I admit.)

But more generally, I have a reaction to discouragement of female athleticism, which I see on GS (and in the world generally) much more than discouragement of male athleticism. Very few people (I recognize exceptions) say, "Male figure skater X, you need to stop working on that quad; just do clean triple-triples and improve your gracefulness and poise on the ice."

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's funny the overall response people in general seem to have to athletic feats attempted by women vs. men. I find the messages on this thread pretty encouraging toward Max generally. There's a "boys will be boys" theme here: skaters need to do fun things, else they'll get bored, etc.

In contrast, in the GG thread, people say things like "she's got more important things to work on," and "even Alissa Czisny could do a triple axel in a harness."

I actually find this HILARIOUS because the VERY FIRST COMMENT under the video on TZ's facebook page is "he should be working on other stuff" and in other places where this video has been posted, that was the immediate response, that he shouldn't be doing this stuff, he should be working on other things. Whereas the reaction to the ladies doing 3As is very "oh wow that's great!!!!".

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I don't think this should be buried in his fan thread. Liza's 3A got a thread of its own! :p

Now, granted, he's in the pole harness and it's not around (at least, not that I can see - I think it might be <?). But still! What fun!

Maybe some birthday fun for Max?

I'm trying not to blow my top at the fact that the very first comment underneath it is one of those whiny blah blah blah he needs to work on... people. SERIOUSLY?

:clap: :bow:

waxel

Final Flight
Not a Max-hater at all (well Footloose was an epic fail)... but he rarely hits the quads he supposedly already has in his arsenal. I love the idea of a 4x but shouldn't consistency on other jumps come first?