Record Breaker
U. S. Men Rock!!!

1. Weir
2. Weiss
3. Savoie

Last edited:

amykaren

On the Ice
WOW!!! YAHOO!! I have never been so proud of a skater than I was about Johnny Weir tonight. I'd compare it to when Rudy won Nationals in '96. Very inspiring!!! To go from where he was last year to the unexpected National Champion-WOW!! Congrats!!! :love:

Congrats to Mike also-glad to see a good long program from him. Yipee for Matt being on the podium too. Ah, life is good!!

Matt

On the Ice
Yay for Weir!!!!! It's about time he won the Nats!!!!!!!

I thought, though, that Jahnke won the bronze and not Savoie (ABC's results had Jahnke in first ahead of Savoie going into Weiss's program) Jahnke was in 6th, and Savoie was in 2nd, so it wouldn't surprise me to have Savoie winning the bronze (he deserves it), but I thought ABC had Jahnke ahead of Savoie.

LittleAngelCora

Rinkside
The long program was great. Most all of the competitors stepped up to the plate and skated great. I thought that maybe Johnny would get overwhelmed, but he didn't, and skated fantastically. Mike skated great too, and I really liked Matt Savoie's program.

On a side note, as a Timothy fan, I'm a little miffed that no one explained exactly why he withdrew. It was just kind of like, "Oh, he withdrew.". No mention of what actually happened. It would have been nice for someone to say, "Hey, you know, the guy's injured." :mad:

Anyway, congrats to all the medal winners!

Courtney

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I had tears in my eyes after Weir skated (he reminds me a lot of Robin Cousins). What a wonderful performance. The top six were superb, I haven't enjoyed a men's competition this much in a long time. Big Kudos to Michael Weiss for pulling up from 4th to second.............this was great!!!!

amykaren

On the Ice
I hope this makes Tim feel better:Weir had the worst Nationals last year, a disater like Tim's, yet look at this year-National Champ! Anything can happen, and I am sure Tim will be back even stronger than last year.

Kick butt at worlds, Johnny!!!!:love:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Thanks for the clarification Vegas, and welcome to GS. I know that Weir had to be beaten by someone in the top three in order for Weiss to win. As it turned out, that didn't happen, even though Weiss had a great free skate. I truly think the best skate, regardless of placement, won today. Good job Weir!!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Big WOW for Johnny. I wonder how much of his improvement has to do with the months he spent with TT and company.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
1. Evan L. -- I was stuck in the "reading room" and missed his skate, however I did record it so yeay! :)

2. Matt Savoie -- WOW WOW WOW! HE was awesome! So smooth, so light... I really like his LP... way to go MATT! :D I thought he was way underscored... where's the COP when you need it? LOL

3. Ryan Bradley -- I don't care what Mr. Button says, the program was awesome and he didn't look as unpolished as Dick kept saying. Yeah, he had major problems with the jumps, but that's just lack of control of concentration. This is the first time I've seen Ryan skate and he has mounds of potential!

4. Ryan Janke -- I really like the music. He didn't really impress me last year, and while his program was better this year he really does nothing for me... but props to him for being a Sunday School teacher! :)

5. Mike Weiss -- Best I've seen him skate... relatively clean(didn't he two foot the second jump in his first combo? Dick never talked about it, but it looked like a 2 foot to me!) I really liked his interview at the end... class act! Way to go Mike! :)

6. Johnny Weir -- he does nothing for me. He was clean and relatively smooth. good job.

Ice dance -- my VCR that we just got for Christmas started eating my tape instead of recording so we had a quickly hook up the old one... so I didn't see the skaters after Tanith and Ben... but I did get to see Melissa and Denis and all I can say is THEY WERE AWESOME!

I'm with everybody else, I was absolutely THRILLED with the men's final! I'd just be repeating what everybody else said, but it was just one wonderful skate after another. Even Ryan Bradley, who didn't do so well on his jumps, created such excitement with his skating. And anybody who would choose the banjo duet from "Deliverance" is a brave guy, lol. OTOH, I think a lot of fans don't remember the movie "Deliverance." I agree with Dick that if Ryan could just get his jumps together he could take Worlds. Did anybody else thing Ryan might make a superb pairs skater?

But the event belonged to Johnny Weir. As Rgal said, it was as if he was trying to prove to everyone that he's not the weenie people thought he was at last year's Nationals. And what a gorgeous skater. Jump landings like buttah; beautiful deep edging; superb dance quality. Could have done more with his footwork, but I'm nitpicking. He absolutely deserved that 6.0.

Plus Matt Savoie showed his best as did Ryan Jahnke and Evan Lysacek. So cool to see him come back after blowing his first 3Axel. Great asset to have. Weiss wasn't great, but good enough, plus he seemed to give sincere props to Johnny. One of the best US men's finals at Nationals I've ever seen.

Let's just hope the men didn't use up all the good karma and that the ladies do as well tonight--actually starting in less than an hour on TV!
Rgirl

Quote of the day: "I thought 6.0s were reserved for Alexei Yagudin and Michelle Kwan." -- Johnny Weir.:laugh:

Nadine

Record Breaker
:love:GREAT SHOWDOWN of MEN'S F.S. ~ AMERICAN MEN ROCK ~ FULL THROTTLE!!!:love:

Ryan Bradley - OMG, OMG, OMG, I am in love with this guy's skating......no lie.......his jumps are out-of-this-world. :eek: They remind me of a skateboarder's when he rides the bowl or a ramp - literally flips out of the bowl/ramp, does a full 360-degree turn, then he & his skateboard float back downward toward the bowl/ramp. In other words, he is the Michael Jordan of skating (no lie). And it doesn't stop there, I love everything about Ryan & his skating.....his tall/muscular build, his twinkling/smiling Irish eyes, his infectious smile, his thick black wavey hair, his boyish personality & charm on the ice, everything.....now this is the kind of guy I've been, literally, waiting years for (not including Evgeni Plushenko). And he's American to boot! YEAH! Finally an American guy that truly & sincerely & honestly interests me in his skating. It was well worth the wait. :) ***Note: btw my sister & I were laughing about his music (thought the first part was from the film Deliverance lol :D ), which initially made us interested , then we couldn't stop going bonkers over him & his skating.*** Too bad I didn't really get to see him skate the other night on ESPN - was too busy babysitting - but now I have him clocked. ;)

Michael Weiss - yes, Michael did it, no mistakes ~ great skate! {two thumbs way up} :)^)

Johnny Weir - I say once again, as I did the other night, he is America's answer to Canada's Emanuel Sandhu (in every way possible). Gorgeous skate, no mistakes, really heartwarming to see ~ the underdog came through! BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO! :love:

Peace & Love, Nadine

Now it's the Ladies Turn to Step Up To The Plate - MAY THEY ALL BELIEVE IN THEMSELVES & RISE TO THE OCCASION - so let it be written, so let it be done...

MODIFIED TO ADD: lol, Rgirl, just got through reading your post......good to know that there are others here that remember the movie Deliverance (btw back then Burt Reynolds was the man, now it's Johnny Depp for me)......anyhow, I am/was a child of the 70's (literally) and I remember that scene w/the banjo :D Btw, my sis & I also had a blast when Urban Cowboy came on ~ reminded us of John Travolta & Sissy (aka Debra Winger) two-stepping it ~ ah, what a man Ryan Bradley is. ;)

Last edited:

kappa_1

On the Ice
Total Congrats to Weir! I was too busy jumping up and down with every jump completed to enjoy his performance but I get so happy when any underdog wins. He was still an underdog because people were doubting whether he could hold on to it, but he certainly did. His idol Justin Timberlake would be proud.:laugh:

Kudos to Weiss for remaining gracious and humble throughout his after the ice interviews!!!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Kudos to Weiss for remaining gracious and humble throughout his after the ice interviews!!!

Who said old dogs can't learn new tricks? He's learning!!!
:) 42

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
RealtorGal thanks for that great photo!

I agree with everyone that this was one of the best men's finals, one good program after another. Way to go Johnny Weir a well deserved National title. A high five to Michael Weiss for skating a clean program and pulling up from 4th to 2nd. Janke and Savoie well deserved!!

Ryan Bradley - OMG, OMG, OMG, I am in love with this guy's skating.

Nadine- do I hear your heart beating fast with the mention of Ryan Bradley:love: :love: :love: ?
ITA with you about his skating-I love it too. He makes it look like so much fun!