Men's SP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Men's SP

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think Contesti will be third after the short. Great result for him.

After seeing the scores for the last two groups, I guess it really was the lesser known guys rising to the occasion, not score inflation :agree:.

ETA: So he is! And the final group for tomorrow: Joubert, Verner, Contesti, KvdP, Preaubert and Voronov. Should be fun!

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ugh, Ponsero breaks my heart . . . I know it's a high hope, but I really hope he skates a perfect LP. He is capable of so much more than he showed today. GO YANNICK! :love:

life684

Final Flight
Voronov has such rough landings, it kills the beauty of the jump. Period drama costume and he needs to connect to the music rather than just do those steps.

MarieM

On the Ice
Yannick IS the french Sandhu. I have given up on him.

Contesti is in fact french:biggrin:and is not unknown at all:rock:

figuristka

Medalist
Shame i missed Contesti. Hope someone uploads a clip.

Had wanted to see the turkish skater too as used to have same coach.

life684

Final Flight
Ugh, Ponsero breaks my heart . . . I know it's a high hope, but I really hope he skates a perfect LP. He is capable of so much more than he showed today. GO YANNICK! :love:

He was fast, he should try some short track as well. Even with those mistakes his performance was enjoyable.

Medusa

Record Breaker
I am quite sure that Urmanov recycled one of his old costumes and gave it to Voronov. And why is the guy still doing the Loop in the short? Really, he always misses it! Last year in the short at Europeans it was a Double, at Worlds it was also stumbled!

I am really happy for KVDP, he doesn't deserve Joubert/Verner/Chan - PCS, but I think all those 68, 69 points he got for clean performances in the past were a bit mean. Glad to see him up there. And his jumps are beautiful.

Shame about Ponsero and Brezina. It's like Schulheiss seriously sucked at all Junior events but always emerged at a serious Top Ten contender at the senior events - Brezina seems to have problems holding it together when it counts. He did that short flawlessly in exhibitions several weeks ago, including perfect Triple Axels.

The Contesti-story is really great. But I would say the best shot at Bronze has Voronov, despite the 6th place. Voronov has strong long programs, nearly always lands the Quad and two Triple Axels as well as a number of other Triples. KVDP looked so exhausted after the short (the commentators on German Eurosport said that he was really ill the weeks before), I can't imagine him going through the long without falling and doubling jumps after 2 minutes.

I would love to see Préaubert snatching the Bronze, but I doubt that will happen. He doesn't get enough GOE on his elements, Constesti got 3 points more on TES with the exact same content - and he is new on the scene!

enlight78

Medalist
Is Ponsero still going to worlds? I think brian and alban is a shoe in for three spots next year. Ponsero is too inconsistant.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Is Ponsero still going to worlds? I think brian and alban is a shoe in for three spots next year. Ponsero is too inconsistant.
Yeah well, Préaubert already had two gigantic meltdowns in the long this season, once at the Coupe de Nice I think and at the French Nationals, where he was leading by some points after the short, but then he only came in third overall and was picked for the French team over Amodio, who became vice-champion.

I think I read something that the French will announce their worldteam after Junior Worlds, so maybe they want to leave all possibilities open, including taking Joubert and Amodio to Worlds.

If Alban snatches a medal though - or stays on that 5th place - I am quite sure they will take Alban and Brian to Worlds.

EDIT: on Passion Patinage they are joking that the French are 1st, 3rd, 5th and 9th after the short - which really sounds quite good...

figuristka

Medalist
If there is anyone able to upload Contesi and Kutay ERYOLDAS i would really love to see them.

Joubert was great today. I just liked how he relaxed after the jumps and could really perform the program.

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
PLEASE tell me Brian got a new costume, aside from the see through one he had at the cup of russia?

BRAVO that he did well :rock: BRIAN FOR THE TITLE!!!!

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Thanks to all who posted descriptions. The nice thing about typed descriptions, is that they stand still, and one can come back to read them, when the time is available.

My heart is totally with Brian Joubert in this competition. I am overjoyed that he had such a fine skate. :clap: I hope this competition continues to be a good experience for him. :love:

I think it was very wise of Tomas Verner to keep his Django Reinhardt SP. The music itself is like a magnet, drawing one in.

Medusa

Record Breaker
PLEASE tell me Brian got a new costume, aside from the see through one he had at the cup of russia?
Nope. No new costume. He still looks as if his next stop would be, well, certain clubs where they like outfits like Brian's. Me don't care - those corny hilarious outfits belong to him...