Mirai Nagasu interview received criticism | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu interview received criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.

millie

Medalist
Not "out of context." But the words written on a piece of paper do not convey the spirit, body language, etc., of the live interview. Chopinskate's point was that Mirai's sense of humor is lost in print. (Although I do agree with Mirai that her interview with Andrea Joyce after the short program was awkward . Not as awkward as Bradie Tennell's interview, though. ;) )

Anyway, I will be casting all my votes for Mirai on Dancing With the Stars. :laugh:

Haha, I love your last comment....let’s let the petition going..

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Boy, anyone who is being critical is getting really desperate for stories! Just saw a very positive, upbeat interview on the TODAY show with Bradie, Mirai, and Karen. When people are looking for something to criticize, they'll always find it. Before you know it, a smile, a frown, one word, the "wrong" tone of voice, a raised eyebrow is being used to create some controversy / story. I'm proud of our ladies even though they were nowhere near the podium. I hope they will use their experiences to improve and move forward.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Not "out of context." But the words written on a piece of paper do not convey the spirit, body language, etc., of the live interview. Chopinskate's point was that Mirai's sense of humor is lost in print. (Although I do agree with Mirai that her interview with Andrea Joyce after the short program was awkward . Not as awkward as Bradie Tennell's interview, though. ;) )

Anyway, I will be casting all my votes for Mirai on Dancing With the Stars. :laugh:

What possible "sense of humor" was conveyed in her comments that she "saved" the U.S. team from losing its bronze medal?

Um... Imagine if Ashley Wagner had declared "I saved the team event" and then tried to cover for her poor performance in the individual event by bringing up another skater who had bombed and didn't need anyone else to point that out. People would be dragging her through the mud for the arrogance and hurtfulness of those words, and deservedly so (and I say this as someone who thought Ashley was rightly criticized for her comments after nationals). But when Mirai says it, apparently there's no ground for criticism whatsoever.

It's one thing to be abrasive with the way you express your own feelings, but it's another thing to drag other people down in order to bolster your own self-image. I think that's what really struck a nerve with the press (and no, it's not just Christine Brennan -- there's a similar article in the LA times, and the original link from this post is by yet another author).

Makkachin

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Nothing she said here was outrageously bad but I agree she needs PR help and I have secondhand embarrassment sometimes when she speaks....she could use someone to help her be more articulate and choose her words so that the intent behind them is more understandable.

ETA: What she said about the team event made me feel sorry for Nathan even if it's true. Like, Adam/Shibutanis and I had to save our country's chance at medals because your sorry behind let us down? Is that really something you should say to the media when it reflects poorly on your teammate? I'm both Mirai's and Nathan's fan but gosh

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
What a disgusting piece of journalism. The suggestiveness of it all. I don't read any nastiness in Mirai's remarks myself, but presumably some just want to find them. So, what if she was thinking about auditioning for Dancing with the Stars? If that helps with the nerves: go for it. I totally agree with you, and I thought Mirai's actions after the skate (with Gabby) say more about her than any stupid interview putting everything out of context, just to make someone look stupid or mean. I thought she handled her disappointment in a very mature manner, holding on to her success at the Team event (and why shouldn't she), and though the answer to the question about not doing so well may not get first prize in diplomacy, I don't see it as a way to excuse herself or a way to be negative about another skater at all. Actually, this kind of interview reporting sickens me.

I had no problem with her comments about "DWTS" or being proud that she did her job in the team event (she obviously did, gloriously). Where she lost me was when she stated that she & Adam & the Shibs "saved" the U.S. team from losing the bronze medal to Italy. In the case of Adam, it wasn't even true, because he had exactly the same margin over Italy in the LP (1 point) as Nathan did in the SP (1 point).

andromache

Record Breaker
I also fail to see a sense of humor in mentioning Gabby's poor skate when asked about the struggles of the US ladies. Mirai is a US lady and Gabby is not (meanwhile the other Canadian lady won a bronze medal here, so the Canadian ladies overall had a more impressive showing than the US ladies).

imisscohen

On the Ice
Um... Imagine if Ashley Wagner had declared "I saved the team event" and then tried to cover for her poor performance in the individual event by bringing up another skater who had bombed and didn't need anyone else to point that out. People would be dragging her through the mud for the arrogance and hurtfulness of those words, and deservedly so (and I say this as someone who thought Ashley was rightly criticized for her comments after nationals). But when Mirai says it, apparently there's no ground for criticism whatsoever.

It's one thing to be abrasive with the way you express your own feelings, but it's another thing to drag other people down in order to bolster your own self-image. I think that's what really struck a nerve with the press (and no, it's not just Christine Brennan -- there's a similar article in the LA times, and the original link from this post is by yet another author).

I don't agree, but I will give you that Mirai is blissfully unaware of her delivery and overall media presence. She just doesn't know how to carefully craft a statement, and is that really such a big deal? Throwing around the word arrogant only makes this pretty clear misunderstanding worse.

imisscohen

On the Ice
I also fail to see a sense of humor in mentioning Gabby's poor skate when asked about the struggles of the US ladies. Mirai is a US lady and Gabby is not (meanwhile the other Canadian lady won a bronze medal here, so the Canadian ladies overall had a more impressive showing than the US ladies).

She wasn't being funny. She felt attacked because the question, as she pointed it out, was aggressive in its assertion that the US athletes couldn't handle the pressure. Her response was defensive and should have been worded more carefully, but it wasn't untrue or an attempt to drag another athlete.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Nothing she said here was outrageously bad but I agree she needs PR help and I have secondhand embarrassment sometimes when she speaks....she could use someone to help her be more articulate and choose her words so that the intent behind them is more understandable.

Mirai has always been known for her candor. Frankly I think everything she said was pretty much spot on. I'd hate to see yet another skater go the Davis and White bland to the point of beyond boredom PR route.

Makkachin

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Mirai has always been known for her candor. Frankly I think everything she said was pretty much spot on. I'd hate to see yet another skater go the Davis and White bland to the point of beyond boredom PR route.

I'd rather have her speak her mind than be bland, yes, but I think the main issue here is that her comments can be interpreted multiple ways. Which way does she intend it? It's not clear from the words she uses.

frida80

Record Breaker
What possible "sense of humor" was conveyed in her comments that she "saved" the U.S. team from losing its bronze medal?

In a way she did. When Mirai took the ice, the gap between Italy and the US was only two points! If Carolina placed 2nd and Mirai 5th like I expected, Italy would be in the lead by the FD. Then the pressure would be on for them to Skate mistake free. The Italians had beaten them in the FD ar the GPF. I was sweating bullets until Mirai shut the door. Her performance made the gap insurmountable. The Shibs could skate easy and confident and the US got her bronze.

It was a team effort definately, but Mirai did have a part in making certain that bronze was secure.

andromache

Record Breaker
She wasn't being funny. She felt attacked because the question, as she pointed it out, was aggressive in its assertion that the US athletes couldn't handle the pressure. Her response was defensive and should have been worded more carefully, but it wasn't untrue or an attempt to drag another athlete.

The US ladies didn't handle the pressure. It's a fact, not an aggressive assertion. The US ladies are responsible for that and should be prepared for questions about it.

I don't know. Some people are thoughtful and articulate in front of a camera; most of us are not and never will be even with coaching. "No, no, no, don't say that, say this."

ETA: What she said about the team event made me feel sorry for Nathan even if it's true. Like, Adam/Shibutanis and I had to save our country's chance at medals because your sorry behind let us down? Is that really something you should say to the media when it reflects poorly on your teammate? I'm both Mirai's and Nathan's fan but gosh

Let's just pretend that she said, "I was proud and happy that I was able to help the team secure a medal." :yes:

There. Mirai should hire me as her PR coach. :)

Last edited:

Tigerlily87

On the Ice
I have a question, what exactly is an amateur anymore? I remember when back in the day doing something like dancing with the stars would possibly compromise your amateur status. obviously she’s not a shoe in but if she were to be on the show.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Mirai needs some lessons from Med's PR/life coach....none of these are going to go down well for a majority of non FS fans out there.:disapp:

I think Eteri would make mincemeat of her "saving" bronze comments implying fellow team members having failed Team USA and trivial complaints about staying in the Village while everyone's out having fun, warm showers because of other team members using up water, etc...no, no, no......it probably would make Ashley furious....

Even Alina and Evgenia did not say such things, and they're almost a decade younger!

Another thing that bothered me is how she was laughing after her FS...it's bizarre, I don't get it. :noshake:

Most get overwhelmed by emotions for either not performing/performing their PB, this is after all the Olympics.

Somebody please get Mirai a PR agent asap!

whatif

Medalist
But did anyone really expect them to finish any better than what they did? I mean except for Choi's impressive result, it was a tough call for all of them to beat everyone else who finished above.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Hmm...I think it's not only their words...after all their words reflect their beliefs and attitudes.

Hate on Eteri all you want but NOT ONCE did any of her girls make an inappropriate comment or bragged out loud....even as they are bagging medals left right and center.

This is also about teaching an attitude of humility and respect, for yourself, for your team mates, for your competitors, for the hard work and tears, for the sport.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.