MK @ olympics if she qualifies | Golden Skate

MK @ olympics if she qualifies

cmego500

Rinkside
I was really bored about an hour ago so i decided to play a few videos of MK and i realized something, she cannot do a flip jump in these upcoming olympics! Why you might ask?? Well because i just saw both the short and long programs of the last 2 olympics and in both she's had difficulties with that triple flip. In 98 she almost fell on it while we all know what happened in 02. So yeah, she's got to find a way around that stupid flip lol

That was then, this is now, Cmego, LOL. I heard she is practicing a quad flip for Turino. :rock:

MM :)

cMego - You haven't heard about the loop jump? She actually left it out for the past couple of years.

Have you heard about her physical condition for the past several years? the pain of which is keeping her from her best?

No matter. She is not expected to be at her best in the Olys. Are you happy about that?

Joe

gezando

Final Flight
cmego500 said:
I was really bored about an hour ago so i decided to play a few videos of MK and i realized something, she cannot do a flip jump in these upcoming olympics! Why you might ask?? Well because i just saw both the short and long programs of the last 2 olympics and in both she's had difficulties with that triple flip. In 98 she almost fell on it while we all know what happened in 02. So yeah, she's got to find a way around that stupid flip lol

Actually Michelle's triple flip at olys 98 was huge, more than her usual height, she did a good job by hanging onto it. In 02, she did not have a coach, so I agree her triiple flip in olys 02 was not too good.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Kurt Browning says the most important thing for a skater at the Olympics is to be healthy. I guess he should know!! Kurt has been appointed as Jeff Buttle's mentor for the Olympics. Jeff is staying with Kurt and his wife while training.

euterpe

Medalist
Kwan's flip has been fine since 2002. She has stopped doing the loop, and I can't help wondering if it's because it causes her back or hip pain.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
Kurt Browning says the most important thing for a skater at the Olympics is to be healthy. I guess he should know!! Kurt has been appointed as Jeff Buttle's mentor for the Olympics. Jeff is staying with Kurt and his wife while training.
Does that mean Kurt is in Lake Arrowhead?

Panther2000

On the Ice
euterpe said:
Kwan's flip has been fine since 2002. She has stopped doing the loop, and I can't help wondering if it's because it causes her back or hip pain.

Yeah, She missed that Flip in the LP but hasn't missed is sense. It is the Loop that gives her trouble. She did at one point a concur that deamon & did fine loops But, in the past year & a half she has lost the 3Loop once again.

& I too had heard about both the Lower Back & hip problems for the past 2 years. But, I guess she couldn't get away with it this year. It all caught up with her:no:

VINLUVSKWAN

Rinkside
MK and not being able to do 3flip

Hey cmego500, if you watched 2005 Worlds and Marshalls March 2005 (or download them), you will see the 3 flip is NOW one of Michelle's stronger toe jumps (after 3toe, before 3 lutz). Her edges are secure (no flutzing, no switching into an outside edge turning it into a lutz), although her jump entry does not have the intricacy/difficult footwork of Irina, Sasha, Shizuka. At Worlds, she landed all 3flip attempts, except once doubled 3 flip at QR (which needless to say the phase of Worlds competition she botched). Unlike Sasha, Michelle seldom double-foots her 3 flip (although MK often popped her second 3 lutz into a double or two-footed it last season in her Bolero program), and unlike Mao Asada [and Tara and Sarah], MK does not blatantly flutz.

screech

Final Flight
Ladskater said:
Jeff is staying with them whenever he's in Toronto (at least, Kurt offered his place, no word on whether Jeff accepted). Jeff has a home in Barrie where his main training ground is, and I believe he lives with Angela Nikodinov when he's in Lake Arrowhead. And its not just Jeff that Kurt is mentoring - there is a group of mentors working with a group of (likely) Olympians. Kurt is therefore working with many other athletes as well.

VINLUVSKWAN said:
unlike Mao Asada [and Tara and Sarah], MK does not blatantly flutz.
She does not *blatantly* flutz, but she does still flutz - she does not have a clean outside take-off into her lutz. It's not as huge as Sasha's, but it is an inside edge nonetheless.

screech said:
She does not *blatantly* flutz, but she does still flutz - she does not have a clean outside take-off into her lutz. It's not as huge as Sasha's, but it is an inside edge nonetheless.
She (MK) has done lutzes in front of me at competitions that I've seen. I've never seen her take off on the inside edge but I have seen her take off on a flat.
There were a couple of competitions which she took off correctly.

One cannot see the edge clearly from TV unless the camera actually focuses on the skater from the rear and taking off on a bo edge, on a flat, or a bi edge.

No matter, I hear the ISU is taking up the issue of the flutz next year. Long overdue, and I hope it is downgraded to a flip and hits the zayak rule. skaters will have to leave it out or actually execute it properly.

Joe

doug_log

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
No matter, I hear the ISU is taking up the issue of the flutz next year. Long overdue, and I hope it is downgraded to a flip and hits the zayak rule. skaters will have to leave it out or actually execute it properly.

Joe

WONDERFUL NEWS!

Joe, can you share where you "heard" it?

And what about "flips" that take off on an outside edge, like Arakawa's? I'm guessing that will be part of the same issue.

I feel like people are being too harsh on Kwan. If she competes at Turin, I think she'll find herself on the podium. She was 3rd in the short and long programs at Worlds last year. The judges are holding her up (or at least not holding her down). I think two squeeky clean programs would earn her a bronze. At least. Her flip, I think, is her best jump, or was last year.

mzheng

Record Breaker
screech said:
Jeff has a home in Barrie where his main training ground is, and I believe he lives with Angela Nikodinov when he's in Lake Arrowhead. And its not just Jeff that Kurt is mentoring - there is a group of mentors working with a group of (likely) Olympians. Kurt is therefore working with many other athletes as well.
Angela is not coaching at Lake Arrowhead any more.

Panther2000 said:
Yeah, She missed that Flip in the LP but hasn't missed is sense. It is the Loop that gives her trouble. She did at one point a concur that deamon & did fine loops But, in the past year & a half she has lost the 3Loop once again.

& I too had heard about both the Lower Back & hip problems for the past 2 years. But, I guess she couldn't get away with it this year. It all caught up with her:no:
The loop jump is the jump to arthritis unless you limit them in practice. Too many of them will activate the arthritis which can take days off one's practice session.

Edge jumps do not have the assist that toe-off jumps have. A toe loop has the assist and is therefore not that taxing on the hip.

Poor jump landings lead to arthritis in the knees, but that's another problem more for the Men.

Joe