Moves you miss seeing since CoP | Golden Skate

Moves you miss seeing since CoP

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I really miss beautifully centered fast scratch spins on either edge. Not enough CoP points? Also, The falling leaf and 2-3 russian splits in a row. I haven't seen a lady blur a spin since Sasha. Lambiel does the headless spins-he's the last great spinner, like Alissa . . I also am missing the held out classic spiral positions with change edge that Kwan, Sahsa and Bobek did. While I tolerated Sasha's I spin as it was perfect, I hate seeing less gifted spinners/extensions end with this.

Are there moves or combinations you haven't seen in recent years that fed your need for beauty?We don't see many doing spread eagles -I think Boitano's defied gravity and were perfect to emulate. A lot of things were lost. Footwork is the good thing I guess CoP is encouraging.

OOPs so tired I thought it was put in the edge folder..can some mod move it thank you.

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
I miss the simple and pure layback spin, like Angela's or Dorothy's.

I miss the stretched out positions on lifts by pairs skaters. I hate the catchfoot positions, particularly during the lifts. I miss positions like Elena Berezhnaya or Katia Gordeeva on lifts.

I miss the great unison and lines we used to see from pairs skaters.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I miss the butterflies and some of those beautiful single axels ala Brian Orser and some of the spins are plain ugly now.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I miss seeing Zhenya's once in a lifetime 3A/.5R/3F combo., as well as Mao's 3A/2T with one arm overhead (ala Tano style) like a ballerina. :love: And I also miss just a simple smile & joie de vivre like Rachael Flatt & Oksana Baiul, their smiles & joy were effervescent & infectious. :)

Hmmm, what else that has not already been said, a beautiful Mazurka jump can have me flying, especially if in the same vein as Sonja Henie & Tenley Albright.

Finally, I miss Evgeni's 4T/3T/3R combo. :cool: And also Sasha Cohen's incredible one-of-a-kind stretch/tension and pointed toes, ahhhh pointed toes...

Oops, one more thing, hyperextended knees (aka Sarah Hughes), the kind top ballerinas have in spades. :love:

And when all is said & done I really do miss Evgeni Plushenko, his presence, command of the ice, charisma, and warrior spirit is simply unmatched...

waxel

Final Flight
I miss the long extended spread eagles and Ina Bauers across the length of the ice, blurred scratch spins, held spins that were able to increase in speed rather than the often grotesque contorted multiple change edge positions.

And I agree with skateluvr--- so tired of the tired I-spin.

ivy

On the Ice
I'm sort of surprised that we don't see more falling leaves, russian splits and stag leaps. Seems like they'd be a good way to show off skating skills, especially when used in footwork or as transitions. Maybe the footwork tends to be too complex to launch a jump from.

I miss a layback with great turn out in the free leg, and that just stays a layback without becoming 3 or 4 more labored positions.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Actually, we are seeing some of those old elements used as transitions into jumps with the men; the ladies not so much.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I miss seeing skaters stroking from one element to the next with nary a transitional move to be found. I miss all of the really bad spins we used to see with skaters barely making the rotations, and looking like they would stop and fall over before they got there. I miss all of the half-hearted footwork sequences that had no point or purposes whatsoever. I miss empty programs with nothing but jumps and bad spins. NOT!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I miss seeing skaters stroking from one element to the next with nary a transitional move to be found. I miss all of the really bad spins we used to see with skaters barely making the rotations, and looking like they would stop and fall over before they got there. I miss all of the half-hearted footwork sequences that had no point or purposes whatsoever. I miss empty programs with nothing but jumps and bad spins. NOT!

Well to be fair we have some of the same type of skating that you describe above in COP too.

I miss a simple well centered spin with nice variations to the music, that does not make the skater look like they are going to explode because they are trying to de-tangled themselves to get to the next revolution or variation.

I haven't seen any long, sustained Ina Bauers lately. Maybe they're there but I just don't recognize them because I've been so spoiled by Shizuka's.

Intereestingly, two of my favorite skaters ever, Gordeyeva and Kwan, practically stood up straight in their Ina Bauers. I still love them. But for this move, Arakawa is the empress.

demarinis5

Record Breaker
I love Shiz's long Ina Bauer too. Mirai used to do a short IB as a transition going into I believe a 2A and I think Yuna did too.

brightphoton

Medalist
Dragonlady has a point though. Spins were horrendous under 6.0. Skaters twirled around two times and called it a day. People also say that footwork was much faster, but it's much easier to be fast when you're only doing two footwork elements. It's a bad sign when spins and footwork are known as "breather" or "rest" elements.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Mirai did one last in the 2011 season. Gracie has an ina Bauer into 3Lz in both SP and LP with her back straight.

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Dragonlady has a point though. Spins were horrendous under 6.0. Skaters twirled around two times and called it a day. People also say that footwork was much faster, but it's much easier to be fast when you're only doing two footwork elements. It's a bad sign when spins and footwork are known as "breather" or "rest" elements.

True, but the title of the thread is "Moves you miss seeing since COP" not moves you don't miss seeing since COP. lol

gkelly

Record Breaker
What about moves we haven't really seen since the 1980s or earlier? We might miss them, but their absence in the present context is not attributable to COP.

Or moves we missed in the 90s-early 2000s that now we're seeing more of thanks to COP? E.g., loops!

demarinis5

Record Breaker
What is a delayed axel? Do you stop skating then start again into the axel jump. Seriously tho I have never heard of it.