Moves you miss seeing since CoP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Moves you miss seeing since CoP

emma

Record Breaker
I miss the simple and pure layback spin, like Angela's or Dorothy's.

I miss the stretched out positions on lifts by pairs skaters. I hate the catchfoot positions, particularly during the lifts. I miss positions like Elena Berezhnaya or Katia Gordeeva on lifts.

I miss the great unison and lines we used to see from pairs skaters.

I do miss these things - pairs in particular, but a gorgeous classic layback is a thing of beauty (although, relatively few people could do them well; loved Angela's.....also love Rohene Wards!)

I also miss a simple but fast and centered scratch spin.

ETA apologies for the double post.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thank you seniorita. I have been educated regarding the delayed axel.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Who do you feel in history did the best delayed axel?

I would give that honor to Robin Cousins (normal landing in competition in this link)

Hamill's, linked above, was also good.

The most recent great one I can remember is this by Nicole Bobek in a show program. Already in the 1990s it wasn't considered worth doing in competition.

Hm, is Carlo Fassi a common thread here?

However, in 1976 a single axel was a required jump in the short program, so we saw a bunch of delayed ones that year. But Hamill's was the only one I could find online.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I miss lots of things under the COP. The split falling leaves and russian split jumps, however, are not two of them. They're still used all the time. I've seen russian split jumps done right before a triple, I think, by Richard Dornbush? Possibly Jason Brown, too? Adam Rippon has one in his Korobushko footwork sequence (naturally). And I've seen tons of ladies do a split falling leaf in their competitive programs. Heck, here's a male skater, Philippine's Michael Christian Martinez, doing a beautiful split falling leaf in his program.

What I do miss are simple moves done really well. The scratch spin as everybody said. Laybacks, too. But there's no move I mourn as much as the original death spiral. The arm exchange that serves as a level feature ruins the posture of the man every time.

But this is not inevitable under the COP. The COP has already removed level features from some things, such as the spiral sequence and the second footwork sequence in singles FS. It can and probably will eventually simplify more.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I do miss are simple moves done really well. The scratch spin as everybody said. Laybacks, too. But there's no move I mourn as much as the original death spiral. The arm exchange that serves as a level feature ruins the posture of the man every time.

But this is not inevitable under the COP. The COP has already removed level features from some things, such as the spiral sequence and the second footwork sequence in singles FS. It can and probably will eventually simplify more.

I hope that eventually, COP will stop rewarding the layback into the Biellman. I personally don't think Biellmans should be rewarded at all, except maybe as part of presentation. Some very good skaters will never be able to do them because they don't have the flexibility. On the other hand, a lot of not so good skaters can do them. Skating isn't gymnastics and Irina has retired. So there is no reason to be upping levels for being able to pull one's foot over one's head.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Vash, that's used a lot in front of the jump out of steps, especially at Intermediate and Novice since it gets no value

conga

On the Ice
I miss the long extended spread eagles and Ina Bauers across the length of the ice, blurred scratch spins, held spins that were able to increase in speed rather than the often grotesque contorted multiple change edge positions.

And I agree with skateluvr--- so tired of the tired I-spin.

ITA agree with this!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was looking at some old skating performances. There was this skater who did a horizontal axel which was kind of cool - Igor Bobrin and some skaters did these double jumps with delays which looked cool - I wonder how hard they are to do - would they be equivalent to a triple jump???

Vash01

Medalist
I would give that honor to Robin Cousins (normal landing in competition in this link)

Hamill's, linked above, was also good.

The most recent great one I can remember is this by Nicole Bobek in a show program. Already in the 1990s it wasn't considered worth doing in competition.

Hm, is Carlo Fassi a common thread here?

However, in 1976 a single axel was a required jump in the short program, so we saw a bunch of delayed ones that year. But Hamill's was the only one I could find online.

Robin Cousins had the best delayed axel. Josef Sabovcek also had a good one.

heyang

Record Breaker
I hope that eventually, COP will stop rewarding the layback into the Biellman. I personally don't think Biellmans should be rewarded at all, except maybe as part of presentation. Some very good skaters will never be able to do them because they don't have the flexibility. On the other hand, a lot of not so good skaters can do them. Skating isn't gymnastics and Irina has retired. So there is no reason to be upping levels for being able to pull one's foot over one's head.

Definitely agree regarding Bielman's. In a thread long ago, it was mentioned that it was unfair to award points for something that's limited by physiology - it's just impossible for some people to do no matter how much they stretch. As much as I enjoy watching it, the same is true for the Pearl spin.

Brenda

On the Ice
sit spins with more than just one change-of-foot, especially if perfectly timed to the music