Music trends | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Music trends

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
About music with lyrics. I've read that someone used in a program and then it was banned, but I remember vaguely. I'm sure that expert members such as gkelly or Ladskater can help us.

Well, I do remember back in the fall of 2001, Todd changed his short program to music from Carmina Burana/Mythodea. The Carmina Burana part had some vocals, which probably raised some eyebrows. There was some discussion that the vocals were allowed because Latin was considered a "dead" language (no offense intended to speakers of Latin). There was probably some music editing done to "muddle" the lyrics & therefore allow Todd to use that portion of Carmina Burana as part of his short program. I don't have any documentation on this, but I do remember reading discussions of it at the time.

Tigger

Final Flight
Wasn't there also some concern about his LP to Fellowship of the Ring Gail? Since it's one of the few LOTR programs, I remember it really well and I know I was worried because Todd used parts from Moria/The Dwarf City and you could hear Dwarvish being sung. I don't remember hearing about any deductions for that though. Elvis ran into the same problem w/his Phantom Menace LP w/the lyrics for the Lightsaber Battle music IIRC.

Eurofan

On the Ice
I've noticed that Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" made a comeback of sorts this year. I'd love to see one of the ladies skate to Laurie Andrews' version, but it's probably too soft. (It's a harp solo.)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wasn't there also some concern about his LP to Fellowship of the Ring Gail? Since it's one of the few LOTR programs, I remember it really well and I know I was worried because Todd used parts from Moria/The Dwarf City and you could hear Dwarvish being sung. I don't remember hearing about any deductions for that though. Elvis ran into the same problem w/his Phantom Menace LP w/the lyrics for the Lightsaber Battle music IIRC.

Tigger, I don't remember reading about questions about the vocal parts of Todd's LOTR program, but I watched it again, and you're right. There are some vocals there. I'll guess that it comes down to sort of "incomprehensible" lyrics? This also led me to revisit out his "1492" competitive performance. Isn't there some Latin in the chorus? Wouldn't the same also be true for Elvis' competitive performances of "1492?" Whatever the case, I :love: all of these programs, so I'm glad that whatever had to be worked out was worked out.

gio

Medalist
After analyzing the 80s (men and ladies), now it's the turn of the 90s in the ladies field.

There was an ethnic/exotic music boom with skaters choosing African, Middle Eastern, South American and Asian music. Michelle Kwan, Olga Markova, Surya Bonaly, Silvia Fontana, Mojca Kopac are the first to come to mind, but there are others.
A mention to Aladdin music that in 1999 was chosen by Malinina, Vorobieva and if I'm not wrong Drei too. That was a movie soundtrack, but with Middle Eastern Music. Same with Nikodinov with the Mummy.

An upsurge of Latin music (both Spanish and South American from flamenco to cha cha) with Kristi Yamaguchi, Michelle Kwan, Irina Slutskaya, Midori Ito, Maria Butyrskaya, Julia Lautowa, Jennifer Robinson, Silvia Fontana, Elena Liashenko Mojca Kopac, Diana Poth, Anna Rechnio, Marie-Pierre Leray, Tanja Szewczenko, Yulia Soldatova and more

Jazzy and blues tunes very popular in the 90s with Maria Butyrskaya, Lu Chen, Shizuka Arakawa, Olga Markova, Amber Corwin, Vanessa Gusmeroli, Anna Rechnio, Elena Liashenko, Marie-Pierre Leray, Tatyana Malinina, Diana Poth and more

And last but not least the most popular trend were movie or TV soundtracks for the LP and even SP with Yuka Sato, Lu Chen, Tara Lipinski, Nicole Bobek, Michelle Kwan, Vanessa Gusmeroli, Victoria Volchkova, Angela Nikodinov, Tanja Szewczenko, Kristina Czako, Diana Poth, Tatyana Malinina, Tonya Harding, Katarina Witt and more

Last edited:

gio

Medalist
Oh, I forgot to mention the titles of the most used music of the 90s belonging in the 4 categories mentioned.

Jungle music, (percussions)

Malaguena, The Two Guitars, Another Cha Cha, Tico Tico, Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, Historia D'Amour

St.James Infirmary, Harlem Nocturne, Fever, Sing Sing Sing, Take Five, In The Mood

Lawrence Of Arabia, Zorba The Greek, Aladdin, Doctor Zhivago, 1492, The Man In The Iron Mask, Gone With The Wind, Titanic, Evita, The Last Of The Mohicans

Last edited:

Tigger

Final Flight
gio...You just posted names of skaters I haven't thought of in a very long time. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I miss Olga Markova. Regardless of how she skated, I always enjoyed her. :)

Gail, I'm w/you. I'm glad whatever needed worked out was worked out for those programs to be used and skated to.

Oh and BTW....I need to go back and rewatch Todd's Fellowship LP to see if the piece from Moria is long enough for anyone interested to try to listen to catch, but...Evil :biggrin:

Blame the members of the LOTR MB I belong to for this one....There is a portion of that piece of music that if you listen carefully enough, you'll hear the choir sing what sounds like, "Who got salami...Who got salami..."

I know that's not what the choir is actually singing in Dwarvish, but it sure sounds like it. For those who have the movie...It happens at the point the Fellowship is on the stairwell and that one part of the stairs turns into a teeter taughter. It's the most noticable when it's just Aragorn and Frodo on it.

And I've done my evil contribution to the world today...Hee!! :biggrin:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Blame the members of the LOTR MB I belong to for this one....There is a portion of that piece of music that if you listen carefully enough, you'll hear the choir sing what sounds like, "Who got salami...Who got salami..."

I know that's not what the choir is actually singing in Dwarvish, but it sure sounds like it. For those who have the movie...It happens at the point the Fellowship is on the stairwell and that one part of the stairs turns into a teeter taughter. It's the most noticable when it's just Aragorn and Frodo on it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

viv

On the Ice
Are you sure about the 76 Olympics? Maybe it was later, because IIRC disco music was born in 1977-1978. But I may be wrong.

Gio, you are right - it was in 1980, and and it was his exhibition where he skated to Michael Jacksons "Don't stop til you get enough". His LP was to a kind of funky tune, but I didn't find out what it was. You can find all of it on youtube. :)

gio

Medalist
Gio, you are right - it was in 1980, and and it was his exhibition where he skated to Michael Jacksons "Don't stop til you get enough". His LP was to a kind of funky tune, but I didn't find out what it was. You can find all of it on youtube. :)

Thanks viv!
I watched his LP on youtube and found these info about his LP:

His LP consisted of
-Belle De Jour
-some disco song I do not recognize. Or is this funky? Maybe they are just similiar genres that melted together at the beggining of the 80s?
-fanfare from Superman
-Murder On The Orient Express movie soundtrack
-Paint It Black (Rolling Stones)

Very unusual for today standards, but very popular in the 80s.

Last edited:

viv

On the Ice
I've found it! It's a song of the "The Mike Theodore Orchestra"

Gio, thank you for sorting that out. I think it's very interesting to watch programs from the 80s - they look completely different from everything we see today. I liked Cousins' programs a lot, though of course they are not todays technical standard. I loved the step sequence in the short and that extremely high single Axel which couldn't be done anymore, of course, due to the scoring regulations.

gio

Medalist
Gio, thank you for sorting that out. I think it's very interesting to watch programs from the 80s - they look completely different from everything we see today. I liked Cousins' programs a lot, though of course they are not todays technical standard. I loved the step sequence in the short and that extremely high single Axel which couldn't be done anymore, of course, due to the scoring regulations.

You're welcome! :)
I like the programs of the 70s and 80s. They were so different from what we see today.
Robert Cousins really skated to the music. I liked his program, even if he did just a 3 triples (with no Lutzes and Flips). Programs can be amazing also without big jumps.

antmanb

Record Breaker
You're welcome! :)
I like the programs of the 70s and 80s. They were so different from what we see today.
Robert Cousins really skated to the music. I liked his program, even if he did just a 3 triples (with no Lutzes and Flips). Programs can be amazing also without big jumps.

Just be mindful of what you mean by big jumps because Robin's single axel (and the variations of it he does/did) was one of the biggest jumps in terms of height and length! :p

Ant

gio

Medalist
Just be mindful of what you mean by big jumps because Robin's single axel (and the variations of it he does/did) was one of the biggest jumps in terms of height and length! :p

Ant

Oh, I mean big jumps as the most difficult ones (4T, 3A, 3Z, 3F), which Cousins did in practice (except the 4T), but not in competition.

His single Axel at the beggining of the program was amazing! A trademark for him. I wish we could see it also today in competitive programs.

viv

On the Ice
... Robin's single axel (and the variations of it he does/did) ... Ant

Is he still doing exhibitions? I thought I read somewhere that he quit skating due to an injury in the late 1990s and turned to dance choreography since... Any information about what he is up to now?