Music trends | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Music trends

Buttercup

Record Breaker
oh no. So will we see 28 Lords of the Rings? Jeremy Abbott, actually, has the perfect look for it: he looks like a Tolkien's character :)
I should hope not. I like the score from the trilogy, but not that much. Javier Fernandez has a hobbit haircut, maybe he should use it ;).
What about soundtracks of David Cronenberg movies? :biggrin:
Howard Shore has worked with Cronenberg quite a bit, most recently on Eastern Promises.

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
This year Volosozhar/Morozov skate to "Pearl Harbour" and during the Euros Chris Howarth said that skate to this music in America for Worlds is "politically correct". Or at least this is what I understood. What do you think about it?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
This year Volosozhar/Morozov skate to "Pearl Harbour" and during the Euros Chris Howarth said that skate to this music in America for Worlds is "politically correct". Or at least this is what I understood. What do you think about it?
I'm not sure that's what he said - I think they were debating if the music was a good idea or not. Personally I don't think it's a political statement, just V/M going with something that they thought sounded good. I doubt most of the audience will even recognize the source - Pearl Harbour was conceived of as a Titanic-like blockbuster and while it was certainly successful, it wasn't that big and I seriously doubt many people recall the soundtrack.

The uniform-like costumes are another matter; personally, I like that they are simple and not filled with elaborate details, artisitically tattered hems and unnecessary sequins (nothing againts sequins, but everything should be done in moderation). But I think for an American audience to see two skaters, who are a. not Americans and b. not military, skating in faux-uniforms - it might not create the right impression. Tatiana in a 40s-inspired dress would probably be a better idea.

ETA: I realize quite a few of the male dancers are wearing sailor outfits in the OD this year - but the ones I've seen look like show/movie costumes rather than the real thing. V/M's constumes look more like actual uniforms.

Last edited:

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I'm not sure that's what he said - I think they were debating if the music was a good idea or not. Personally I don't think it's a political statement, just V/M going with something that they thought sounded good. I doubt most of the audience will even recognize the source - Pearl Harbour was conceived of as a Titanic-like blockbuster and while it was certainly successful, it wasn't that big and I seriously doubt many people recall the soundtrack.

The uniform-like costumes are another matter; personally, I like that they are simple and not filled with elaborate details, artisitically tattered hems and unnecessary sequins (nothing againts sequins, but everything should be done in moderation). But I think for an American audience to see two skaters, who are a. not Americans and b. not military, skating in faux-uniforms - it might not create the right impression. Tatiana in a 40s-inspired dress would probably be a better idea.

ETA: I realize quite a few of the male dancers are wearing sailor outfits in the OD this year - but the ones I've seen look like show/movie costumes rather than the real thing. V/M's constumes look more like actual uniforms.
thank you for your opinion, this fact really interests me. On youtube there is not the LP by British Eurosport and I'm afraid I can't upload it. Usually I understand what the commentator say, but this time I couldn't get the point at all. Chris said tha he was not sure of the wisdom of the choice of music because the Worlds are in Los Angeles, and the other said that he didn't do the association, that he has a particular adversity for political correctness but the interpretation of V/M was just superb. :confused: Of course I missed some words. Anyway, you may be right.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
About the Music Trends

First of all picking out the right music for a skater (any discipline) is no easy task for the skater, the coach or anyone else on board. Most music is chosen according to the skaters present skating level. That is why one will see a simple piece of music used like Moon River for example (which by the way worked well for Josée Chouinard in a pro skate after she retired from amatuer skating).

Some Junior skaters entering the Sr. ranks will stick with a piece of music they are comfortable with while they make the transition.

It is also difficult to find music or selections of music that have not been already used even from previous years. Skaters like Jeff Buttle who have a real ear for music often choose complicated or more sophiticated pieces of music. Also fast music does not always mean better - often slower music is harder to skate to. Again it depends on the skills of the skater.

It's always great to see skaters challenge themselves when it comes to music choice. I think that is what Canadian ice dancers Virtue and Moir have done this season. While I loved their classical piece from last season it's great to see them exploring something completley different.

mycelticblessing

Final Flight

I didn't get to see the British Eurosport commentary for Euros. At CoC however, he did say that it was clever, because it would get a good response from the audience. I'm not too sure about that though. I doubt most of the audience would be able to recognise that the music is from Pearl Harbour. At least I couldn't when I first heard it.

A music trend of the 1990's that I didn't mind at all, and that continues - using movie soundtrack scores. Thanks to following figure skating, I have bought a lot of soundtracks that I've come to :love: through the years (Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Dragon, The Mission, First Knight, 1492 (haven't seen the movie, but I love the music), Sense & Sensibility, Little Women, lots of John Williams ones ...) So many! :rofl: My CD collection has grown by leaps & bounds.

I love that trend too! Especially when it's a movie I love. I like most movie soundtracks, and its really much easier for me to "get" what the skaters are portraying when it's the soundtrack of a movie I'm familiar with.

My favorite program to a movie soundtrack would be Marie-France and Patrice's 2006 FD to Somewhere in Time. I could almost see the story in their skating.

Last edited:

GiuliaPlum

On the Ice
I love that trend too! Especially when it's a movie I love. I like most movie soundtracks, and its really much easier for me to "get" what the skaters are portraying when it's the soundtrack of a movie I'm familiar with.

My favorite program to a movie soundtrack would be Marie-France and Patrice's 2006 FD to Somewhere in Time. I could almost see the story in their skating.

Alissa's "Sabrina" is an absolute masterpiece. She was Sabrina even more than Audrey Hepburn.

redhotcoach

On the Ice
So what are the younger skaters around the world choosing to skate to this season?? We see the senior and junior level at ISU events - but rarely get the chance to see what the novice/intermediate level skaters are skating successfully to. Anyone have any ideas?

gio

Medalist
I'm rewatching programs to try to find those trends and to be in order I started with the 80s.

Today I've rewatched some programs of top skaters (Men and Ladies SPs and LPs) from the 80s and I've noticed a pecularity. Often in the LP they mixed classical music with disco music. It wasn't unusual to start with disco music, then a classical piece, then returning to disco music. Or to have half classical, half disco programs.
I have to say that the 80s in skating were a completely different era from now.

Examples with LPs mixing disco music with classical music were Brian Boitano, Brian Orser, Scott Hamilton, Claudia Leistner, Anna Kondrashova.

Girls often choosed disco music for the SP and classical for LP. Examples are Debi Thomas, Caryn Cadavy, Jill Trenary, Elaine Zayak, Elizabeth Manley

There were ones also who did both programs to classical music (Rosalynn Sumners) or both to disco music (Denise Biellmann).

And there was Katarina Witt who loved to choose music suited to her showgirlship. Just think about her choices of cabaret music, Carmen, Czardas, West Side Story

More to come in next weeks, when I'll rewatch programs from the 90s. Let's see if I can find something interesting.

Last edited:

Tigger

Final Flight
I should hope not. I like the score from the trilogy, but not that much. Javier Fernandez has a hobbit haircut, maybe he should use it ;).

Howard Shore has worked with Cronenberg quite a bit, most recently on Eastern Promises.

You knew I'd stumble in here once LOTR and Howard Shore was mentioned, right? :D

I would love for someone to skate to the music from the final movie in the Trilogy, The Return of the King. To me, that's the best of the music from the three and also screams (to me) Olympic Gold Medal winning program music. Especially the music that goes along w/the Lighting of the Beacons. So majestic and powerful...It would be perfect!!

As for his work w/David Cronenberg, I have the soundtracks to both A History of Violence and Eastern Promises and both have some lovely stuff that would work for a skating program. What I call Tom and Edie's Theme from HOV would really fit a skater who does lyrical and soft well. A lot of the stuff from EP would fit a Russian themed program as that's the cultural basis of the movie. In fact, if you didn't know you were listening to a movie soundtrack, you'd think you were listening to a Russian fok album.

Just my two cents Cdn. :)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
You knew I'd stumble in here once LOTR and Howard Shore was mentioned, right? :D
I was hoping to get someone more knowledgable than myself to weigh in - I was just doing Wikipedia research...

I would love for someone to skate to the music from the final movie in the Trilogy, The Return of the King. To me, that's the best of the music from the three and also screams (to me) Olympic Gold Medal winning program music. Especially the music that goes along w/the Lighting of the Beacons. So majestic and powerful...It would be perfect!!
That would be so cool, the Lighting of the Beacons music is wonderful. And yet for some reason nobody skates to it. It does scream OGM. But who should use it? I'm not sure it suits any of the current guys or ladies. But maybe a pairs team?

As for his work w/David Cronenberg, I have the soundtracks to both A History of Violence and Eastern Promises and both have some lovely stuff that would work for a skating program. What I call Tom and Edie's Theme from HOV would really fit a skater who does lyrical and soft well. A lot of the stuff from EP would fit a Russian themed program as that's the cultural basis of the movie. In fact, if you didn't know you were listening to a movie soundtrack, you'd think you were listening to a Russian fok album.
I'll try and listen to that. It sounds really good.

Tigger

Final Flight
That would be so cool, the Lighting of the Beacons music is wonderful. And yet for some reason nobody skates to it. It does scream OGM. But who should use it? I'm not sure it suits any of the current guys or ladies. But maybe a pairs team?

I know. It would have been perfect for Shen and Zhao to skate to in Turino. It really needs someone w/power to their skating to do it justice, but who that would be in this generation of skaters....I have no idea either.

I'll try and listen to that. It sounds really good.

There's some really good stuff on the History of Violence soundtrack, but that one piece I refer to as Tom and Edie's Theme (Not it's proper name, but it's the music you hear whenever we see the two of them together during two scenes very important to showing their relationship) really is wonderful. It would be a really nice Short Program for someone out there, but it would be for someone whose skating is the soft and lyrical style.

~tapdancer

On the Ice
You can't beat John Williams for great scores. I'd love to see my favorite ice dance team skate to "Across the Stars". I much prefer big, stirring music as opposed to the trendy stuff...at least for the LPs and FDs. I know "Pas de Deux" and "Nessum Dorman" are overused but they are so thrilling to listen to and see skaters skate to it. And don't get me started on LOTR...I just love everything about those soundtracks.

Tigger

Final Flight
I adore John Williams music as well. He really does do the big and sweeping scores so very well.

Another soundtrack I've been lobbying for the last few years is from Hidalgo. Some really beautiful music from that movie and another one w/a piece, this time the opening and closing scenes, that would make a wonderful short program for someone out there. That's JMO of course, but I'm just saying. :)

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Alissa's "Sabrina" is an absolute masterpiece. She was Sabrina even more than Audrey Hepburn.

Alissa does have this old-fashioned charm that you seldom see anymore. I love Dr Zhivago too. Not sure if her costume goes as well with the story though. Her outfit in 2007 really reminded me of Hepburn!

You can't beat John Williams for great scores. I'd love to see my favorite ice dance team skate to "Across the Stars".

I'd really love to see someone skate to that too! I always wondered why no one did.

viv

On the Ice
As to classical music: I would like to see someone doing a program to Claire de lune or to a piece of Satie, but I don't know if it would work. I really love Carolinas Dvorak-program.

As to the question of disco music: I put the question to my mom and she said the first she remembers is Robin Cousins at the 1976 Olympics in Innsbruck, who, as she remembers, did a program to a Michael Jackson tune. Then we both wondered if it was allowed at this time to use music with lyrics. Maybe it was just the exhibition? Does someone remember?

gio

Medalist
Hi viv, welcome here and post long! :) :agree:

Are you sure about the 76 Olympics? Maybe it was later, because IIRC disco music was born in 1977-1978. But I may be wrong.

About music with lyrics. I've read that someone used in a program and then it was banned, but I remember vaguely. I'm sure that expert members such as gkelly or Ladskater can help us.