Narumi Takahashi Comes Out | Golden Skate

Narumi Takahashi Comes Out

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Narumi Takahashi, former Olympian and pairs skater for Japan with Mervin Tran, has come out as queer. She participated in a talk at Pride House Tokyo on October 16th in which she stated she identified as queer.

Article (in Japanese)

It's really special that she's coming out. LGBTQ people/rights aren't viewed quite as favourably in Japan (same-sex marriage is not yet recognised) and very few athletes have come out, especially figure skaters. Considering that Narumi basically started pairs in Japan and has had such a major impact on the skating scene, hopefully this will pave the way for future athletes to feel comfortable coming out and being open in Japan. 🏳️‍🌈 ❤️

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Narumi Takahashi, former Olympian and pairs skater for Japan with Mervin Tran, has come out as queer. She participated in a talk at Pride House Tokyo on October 16th in which she stated she identified as queer.

Article (in Japanese)

It's really special that she's coming out. LGBTQ people/rights aren't viewed quite as favourably in Japan (same-sex marriage is not yet recognised) and very few athletes have come out, especially figure skaters. Considering that Narumi basically started pairs in Japan and has had such a major impact on the skating scene, hopefully this will pave the way for future athletes to feel comfortable coming out and being open in Japan. 🏳️‍🌈 ❤️
That's what I heard too... it takes a lot of courage. Narumi is not only a pioneer for Japanese pairs skating but as an out athlete in Japan. 🌈

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Wow, how wonderful! This will mean so much to the next generation of LGBTQ+ Japanese women athletes, as well as many who may currently be competing across a wide variety of sports and not feel able to come out publicly themselves. I hope Narumi receives plenty of support, because I’m aware that there’s still very much a stigma around coming out in Japan (not that it’s universally easy in any country, of course) and as far as I know there are very few out female public figures period, and many have suffered harassment.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Respect! I don't know if there are more LGBTQ+ people in figure skating compared to other sports, but it feels the community has come a long way in the last few years compared to say football.
Also, even Japan is slowly crawling towards the 21st century it seems.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I am pleased to hear this because I also understood same sex relationships are not looked upon really favourably in Japan. How inspirational! And it's good to note LBGTQ is getting more acceptable.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That's amazing! And yes, it's even more noteworthy when it's a Japanese athlete - e.g. Fumie Suguri - given that Japan isn't comparatively super LGBTQ-friendly, although they are getting more progressive about it. Comings out like Narumi's help further that, so kudos to them for their courage and for living their truth. 🏳️‍🌈

Also a random musing, I do also love how Fumie and Narumi both persevered towards the end of their careers well past their prime continuing to do the sport they love, even though they had so many haters. They did things on their own terms and pursued their passion regardless of what others think or say they should be doing. And the same goes for them coming out in spite of it being taboo or against "the norm". Really proud of them.

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
That's amazing! And yes, it's even more noteworthy when it's a Japanese athlete - e.g. Fumie Suguri - given that Japan isn't comparatively super LGBTQ-friendly, although they are getting more progressive about it. Comings out like Narumi's help further that, so kudos to them for their courage and for living their truth. 🏳️‍🌈

Also a random musing, I do also love how Fumie and Narumi both persevered towards the end of their careers well past their prime continuing to do the sport they love, even though they had so many haters. They did things on their own terms and pursued their passion regardless of what others think or say they should be doing. And the same goes for them coming out in spite of it being taboo or against "the norm". Really proud of them.

Kaitlyn Weaver posted this re. Fumie:

Therefore I believe Narumi is the very first Japanese figure skater to come out explicitly! :)