Nathan Chen | Page 807 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

skfan

Final Flight
Many videos from today are blocked because of copyright...

I can't download anything, because I'm tech clueless, but it was *so* wonderful to watch 'Next to me' on your channel. There's just a glorious freedom to his movements. And such natural grace! It's as beautiful as anything I've seen in more than three decades of following skating.

I couldn't resist thinking how much more fabulous it would look if he would just tuck the white shirt into his pants, but... at this point I'm just grateful I get to see Nathan being all heart and sincerity on ice, as genuine and authentic as any artist I've admired. Nathan with all the charms I've come to love and all the quirks I've grumbled about, lol. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your videos with people who couldn't make it to the show.

Silver Blade

Rinkside
Thank you so much for sharing impressions, feelings and videos from the show!
Seemed I was so tired of skating at the end of the season😂 but found out I missed
desperately Nathan's beauty on ice, so these videos are definitely the thing I need.
Hope Nathan will manage finals and shows and health issues.🙏

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Thank you for sharing all of Nathan's media material :love: , as always the videos are amazing :clap:

PS: Good luck to Nathan in his Yale partial exams :hap10:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Thank you Mamamiia as always for your beautiful Nathan videos:luv17::luv17:

I remember last SOI you weren’t sure if you were going to take video, and a year later you are now the best Nathan fan videographer:luv17:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Regarding Nathan’s health issues - guess they could partially be related to seasonal allergies (haven’t even thought of asthma ...)

Wonder if he was suffering from allergies in Japan due to the large amounts of pollen from cedar/sugi trees.

Mamamiia

Medalist
Thank you Mamamiia as always for your beautiful Nathan videos:luv17::luv17:

I remember last SOI you weren’t sure if you were going to take video, and a year later you are now the best Nathan fan videographer:luv17:

I didn't take videos myself this time. I just set the camera up and had someone doing it for me:biggrin:. :dev2: when I found out the finale wasn't exactly Nathan focused though.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
um ... maybe that was a gift from a (generous) fan. Also the show being in NY, maybe this fan works in the fashion industry and gets a discount ?

I don’t really get Off-White and the prices seem kind of insane :slink: The designer is also the artistic director of Louis Vuitton menswear.

But he can’t possibly be spending that much on his own - we know how much he likes free stuff:)

skfan

Final Flight
um ... maybe that was a gift from a (generous) fan. Also the show being in NY, maybe this fan works in the fashion industry and gets a discount ?

I don’t really get Off-White and the prices seem kind of insane :slink: The designer is also the artistic director of Louis Vuitton menswear.

But he can’t possibly be spending that much on his own - we know how much he likes free stuff:)

I also thought it might be a gift. Maybe it was handed over by his agent Yuki along with the (very heavy) Gravity blanket at the SOI show? I do remember his IG posting with Brandon Kerry, was it, that said, the one and only time I paid for something, lol, and it was a picture of the him and Brandon (?) eating donuts.

Michal Brezina said in a Czech article in March 2018 that Nathan saves all his money to pay for school. And if he's planning med school, he still has, what is it, another half a million to earn to cover med school costs. That's not even counting what he has to pay for undergrad tuition, room and board. And the cost of skating itself--fees for ice time, Raf's share of his earnings (coaching fees), etc.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Per Raf Russian interview, Nathan has a full scholarship covering undergrad expenses. But of course, still a lot to save for.

Though he did get those Off-White mesh shorts before as well ... maybe these were gifts from the brand.

skfan

Final Flight
Per Raf Russian interview, Nathan has a full scholarship covering undergrad expenses. But of course, still a lot to save for.

Though he did get those Off-White mesh shorts before as well ... maybe these were gifts from the brand.

I'm not sure Raf understood correctly. I noticed that part of the interview was absent from the FSU translation.

Also, even if this scholarship actually exists, it may require that he spend a certain number of consecutive terms at Yale or include conditions that are not compatible with his plans to take off time to prepare for 2022 Olympics.

If this jacket came from Off-white itself, it would make sense that it had to go through Nathan's agent first, to make sure it doesn't conflict with Nike's sponsorship before it could be handed over to Nathan.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Normally his fans don't give really expensive clothing. Just Nike gear or colorful sweaters. I think the sweater he wore at the M&G is a fan gift.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I don’t think it’s a new sponsorship? Could be a gift from the brand though.

It seems that Yale is quite accommodating of his needs (time away from school, ice time), so it doesn’t seem that implausible that he received a scholarship.

He also has Off-White x Nike sneakers - one pair he wore to the Celtics game. He received two pairs of another style - in both black and tan.

skfan

Final Flight
A gift from the brand Off-White makes sense, because when Nathan puts it on his IG story he's sort of advertising for them.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I guess a lot of these products are gifts rather than sponsorships. Like the Molecule mattress (most known for Tom Brady), Boosted electric skateboard, Giant bike, the fruit snack pouches, that massage device, NormaTec compression boots, etc.

skfan

Final Flight
I agree. Even so, you have to applaud Nathan's extreme enthusiasm, sticking that 'Boosted' label on his laptop. Talk about fully committed, lol.