Nathan Chen | Page 939 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

frida80

Record Breaker
I love his new programs! I've only seen an excerpt of the free so gotta watch it in full later today. Love the SP, but I always love his SPs - I am so curious as to what his SP costume (Vera or pre-Vera) will look like. I think it needs to be character driven - but not too over the top.

I’m going to guess “Vest Nathan” for his pre-Vera look. Then maybe a slender brown penguin shirt with a white glove for Vera. Because, it makes no sense.

zebobes

Final Flight
I nominate the Le Corsaire costume for the recycled pre-Vera look.

But Nathan's build has changed since the 16/17 season... I would say he is more muscular now, I'm not sure how well it would fit.

The Triple Axels all have such nice swish to them now. It feels like a basketball flying perfectly through the hoop. I wish he didn't flip/turn out of his landings quite so quickly... maybe it works for some of them, but a few I wish he would hold a little longer.

I'm pleased that Nathan has a "balanced diet" of triples and quads, with at least one of each jump type in the Free, and at least one of each quad over the short and free (sans loop and Axel, of course). I remember the years where Nathan's programs had nary an edge jump to be found other than the required axels. This kind of layout gives me the feeling that he's pretty healthy, without any injuries, meaning there are currently no jumps or movements that he has to avoid. The fact that he IS including a loop entry also makes me feel like he's building up to including a quad loop. The 4T-Euler-3F also has a nice rhythm to it that's quite gratifying.

Even though the choreo steps are quite short, I thought it was still fairly effective. I remember in the Polovtsian Dances Free Skate, where his choreo skate was basically a Spread Eagle. Even though this choreo is mainly a Spread Eagle, this one has a lot more OOMPH and gravitas to it. That being said, I hope he can continue to add a little more to it in the future though.

1111bm

Final Flight
I wonder if he's just gonna skate his new FS for COI (I could also see him skate a shortened version of Rocketman) or if he has indeed a new Ex program? And if so, self-choreographed or by someone else?

1111bm

Final Flight
Even though the choreo steps are quite short, I thought it was still fairly effective. I remember in the Polovtsian Dances Free Skate, where his choreo skate was basically a Spread Eagle. Even though this choreo is mainly a Spread Eagle, this one has a lot more OOMPH and gravitas to it. That being said, I hope he can continue to add a little more to it in the future though.

? His choreo sequence back then was fairly long, and did only include a short 'contemplative' spreadeagle amongst other moves:
It lasts until 2:45.

I'd also wish he'd do a little bit more in his new FS, but he hasn't done a spreadeagle as part of his choreo sequence since MLD, so I guess it's okay if he reuses it again, I mean, it does fit well. But I was always a fan of his more unusual choreo sequences of the past two seasons, I thought they were more creative and individual (tailored to the program/music).

sheetz

Record Breaker
Agree that the ChSq in the FS is too short. I wonder if they could add a few seconds of music to extend it a little more?

Article in WSJ about the competition. The orignal article is behind a paywall but this one appears to be a double translation of the article so sounds a bit strange at times.

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
On Weibo they are reporting that his FS score was 209.79 and total 315.32.

The programs have already been taken down from YT, but they are up on Bilibili

SP https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1fp4y1e7i4?from=search&seid=17503454761902674204
FS https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1dk4y1k75k?from=search&seid=17503454761902674204
Thanks so much, I couldn't get the original video stream to work!
Lol at the scrolling text halfway through the SP step sequence - yes, Jacqueline, we love him too :p

Interestingly a part in the middle of the LP sounds like Rain In Your Black Eyes. I guess Ezio Bosso was influenced quite a bit by Philip Glass. Overall the selected Glass music is more complex, though.

figskatefan

Rinkside
Thanks so much, I couldn't get the original video stream to work!
Lol at the scrolling text halfway through the SP step sequence - yes, Jacqueline, we love him too :p

Interestingly a part in the middle of the LP sounds like Rain In Your Black Eyes. I guess Ezio Bosso was influenced quite a bit by Philip Glass. Overall the selected Glass music is more complex, though.
I missed the scrolling text. Guess she couldn’t contain herself. Does anyone know if there’s a name for the jump (where one leg goes over the other) right before the final combo sit spin in the SP. I think that’s a new move for NC, right?

figskatefan

Rinkside
I missed the scrolling text. Guess she couldn’t contain herself. Does anyone know if there’s a name for the jump (where one leg goes over the other) right before the final combo sit spin in the SP. I think that’s a new move for NC, right?
Speaking of Philip Glass, the rhythmic part in the LP sounds like something from his opera Akhenaten.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I don't know if it has an official name, but it seems to be something spreading amongst the young US men. Torgashev is the first I remember doing it, followed by Hiwatashi.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Does anyone know if there’s a name for the jump (where one leg goes over the other) right before the final combo sit spin in the SP. I think that’s a new move for NC, right?
Single lutz with a hitch kick added - Torgashev and Hiwatashi do it too sometimes with either a flip or lutz entry. El Henry calls it the Flying Torg, after her favourite skater and Ted Barton calls it a 'whirly' but admits he doesn't know what it's called). I've seen Nathan do it in exhibitions but this is its first appearance in one of his competitive programmes. His is very graceful :)

Edit: In martial arts there is something similar called a tornado kick.

Ella5555

On the Ice
I love his new programs - both suit him well - and both contain unique elements, such as the aforementioned single lutz with hitch kick (or whatever one wants to call it) and even the arm movement in the spread eagle at the beginning of the way-to-short choreo sequence. There are “little gems” everywhere as Kurt Browning said of one of his programs several years ago.

Last edited:

luckyu2

On the Ice
Enjoyed both programs. I do like sp a bit more. Love love fp music choice and I hope ChSq will be refined and it does feel a bit short. Technically, he is in a good form for the beginning of season. Does anyone know if SA will be held in person without audience?

figskatefan

Rinkside
I love his new programs - both suit him well - and both contain unique elements, such as the aforementioned single lutz with hitch kick (or whatever one wants to call it) and even the arm movement in the spread eagle at the beginning of the way-to-short choreo sequence. There are “little gems” everywhere as Kurt Browning said of one of his programs several years ago.
Kurt Browning did the commentary for the 2015 jr worlds FS for CBC, where he made the “little gems” comment. NC skated to Chopin Piano Concert #1, & it’s one of my favorite FS of his. He was so balletic & was only 15. He didn’t win due to a subpar SP.

lurkz2

On the Ice
Anyone think Nathan's going to enter the second round of the ISP Points Challenge? Maybe fix some things or alter the layout. Perhaps try a 4Lo.
The preparation and entry into the 1st jump is longer than usual; not sure if he can get it done by next month but I think his goal is to start with a quad loop.

I actually think (and hope) he's building up to a 4Lo 4F3T 4Lz 4S 4TEu3F 4T3T 3A program.