Nathan Chen | Page 956 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

1111bm

Final Flight
What did Kurt say about Nathan’s hair? I missed that part.

He was not only paying Nathan a compliment (which was funny, because it's kinda superficial, yet so true at the same time, because I would argue, that Nathan's curls really do enhance his performances, the same way a nice costume might do for other skaters), it was also a self-deprecating comment on the state of Kurt's own hair (and did he lose it rather early on as a young man?).

luckyu2

On the Ice
It probably just means it won’t be ready this season. He said “maybe” so I wouldn’t put too much weight into this. Plus there is a possibility that Beijing Olympics gets postponed.
So... does the couple more years mean he'll keep skating after the '22 Olympics??? 🤔

sheetz

Record Breaker
I sense he's more becoming more noncommittal about retiring after the Olympics so I wouldn't be surprised if he continued competing at least for a few years. He's shown that he can combine school with skating and he had originally planned on going to Yale this season, which is insane when you think about it. Plus I have to think USFS will be doing their best to convince him to continue.

Flashback to SP runthru from GPF19.

sheetz

Record Breaker
New interview about Nathan's post competitive career.

After successfully balancing the two worlds for two years, Chen is now focusing on one at a time. He has stepped away from Yale to focus on his preparation for the 2022 Games, and after Beijing he will complete his college degree and leave the ice – at least for the time being.

"I think it will be highly determined by how I feel after '22," Chen said on the topic of retirement. "Do I still have the drive? I feel like if I don't have the drive anymore, then there's no point. It'll really depend. As of now, definitely the plan is to go back to school, and even then, probably take one or two years off skating for sure, and then reevaluate."

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi all!

I sent a PM out a few days ago regarding the Video Project. If you are interested in doing Nathan (or anyone else), shoot me a PM! :)

1111bm

Final Flight
Some changes to the choreography,

He took out two little things I happened to enjoy a lot! 😭😠
At least I liked the little jump after his 4Lz, which worked better than what he did before.
Also, he either hasn't practiced his SP with a triple as his last jumping pass or he changed the entry steps into his step sequence, since he went into it too early/changed some things, which kinda lessened its impact.

Thanks a lot to our Japanese fans and Korean fans, the videos are out

The SP

If anyone wants a higher def version with a somewhat sharper picture, PM me.

Last edited:

lurkz2

On the Ice
He took out two little things I happened to enjoy a lot! 😭😠
At least I liked the little jump after his 4Lz, which worked better than what he did before.
Also, he either hasn't practiced his SP with a triple as his last jumping pass or he changed the entry steps into his step sequence, since he went into it too early/changed some things, which kinda lessened its impact.

If anyone wants a higher def version with a somewhat sharper picture, PM me.
Or maybe he's training a 4F3T as the last pass

sheetz

Record Breaker
Or maybe he's training a 4F3T as the last pass
Or maybe just 4F with the combo only in case he misses the 4Z3T.

Also noticed he missed the 3A because he added the spread eagle.

I didn't like the new choreo as much but it appears less rushed now.

1111bm

Final Flight
I didn't like the new choreo as much but it appears less rushed now.

I didn't think there were many changes to the choreo. He changed the few steps he does into his first jump, but he's actually been mixing those up each time so far, plus he uses a different set-up for his 4Lz anyway, compared to 4T.

He took out the little jump in-between the spins (which I loved) and he didn't do that little inverted choctaw (?) in his step sequence (which I also loved, he used to do one in his Nemesis StSq as well, and I always liked the look of it).
He also shortened the entry steps into his step sequence, missing 1-2 of those running steps (which might have been a spontaneous on-the-spot decision for all we know), which kinda ruined its timing for me. Yes it made the StSq appear less rushed, but that's what gave it that great intensity in the first place.

Honestly, my impression is, that he sometimes likes to wing it, at least certain parts of his programs. ;) Like in this SP, the part after his second spin always looks a bit different. Maybe he's rebelling against Shae's precise choreo. 😄

Also noticed he missed the 3A because he added the spread eagle.

Yeah, looked like he used this opportunity to test it out. Curious to see if he will take it out again, or if he manages to stabilise it.

Personally I think it would make more sense to add the spreadeagle in front of one of his other jumping passes in the SP, most likely candidate would be the 4T, since this is what he's been doing in his FS for some time now.

alexaa

Final Flight
Last edited by a moderator:

sheetz

Record Breaker

sheetz

Record Breaker
Nathan is one of the athletes featured in new Team Toyota holiday promo.

The film, created in partnership with MediaMonks, a global creative and production partner of Toyota in the U.S., is bookended by a live action shot of a present, which opens up to reveal a paper wonderland world featuring scenes that represent each of the athletes––a snowy hill for Olympic gold medalist snowboarder Chloe Kim, an open road for four-time Paralympian and para cyclist Oksana Masters, an ice rink for Olympic figure skater Nathan Chen, a half pipe for Olympic Hopeful skateboarder Jordyn Barratt, and a track for Para track & field gold medalists David Brown and Jerome Avery.

Each scene was crafted using an artful combination of stop motion, illustration, animation, special effects and meticulous post-production in a world where every detail matters. As each Team Toyota athlete narrates a portion of the poem, the film comes together in a final piece which sparks a feeling of holiday wonder that offers the athletes a chance to share a gift with the world: the pivotal role they play in uniting and inspiring people through more than just medals won.

Last edited: