I'm only sure about Boitano and Rippon.

1. Boitano
2. Wylie?
3. Weiss?
4. Eldredge?
5. No clue. Sounded like Rippon.
6. Goebel?
7 Rippon

Sounded like the last "Nathan Chen" may have been Button.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hmmm ... my original guess for the second voice (heard again later on?) was Jeremy Abbott?
But after reading sheetz's post, I agree that the same voice also could have been Paul Wylie's?

I do feel sure about hearing Boitano, Weiss, Hamilton, Rippon.
Not sure about Button, but it certainly would have been fitting for him to say the last "Nathan Chen."

Just my two cents, but none of the voices sounded like Eldredge to me? I do hope that I am wrong, especially given that he was there in the bubble.

ETA on Feb 15):
LOL, after listening again, I have changed my mind about Eldredge. Maybe it is Todd who says, "Welcome to the five-time ..."??​

Last edited:

alexaa

Final Flight
I'm only sure about Boitano and Rippon.

1. Boitano
2. Wylie?
3. Weiss?
4. Eldredge?
5. No clue. Sounded like Rippon.
6. Goebel?
7 Rippon

Sounded like the last "Nathan Chen" may have been Button.
Third one seemed to be Scott, and I think Johnny might be one of them since he is 3-time national champion. I am not sure if Jeremy is also in there.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Yeah, I can hear Hamilton as #3 now, and Abbott could be #2. #4 is maybe Lysacek? Still can't figure out who said "You are amazing!" Weir? #6 still sounds like Goebel to me.

Last edited:

Gilligan

On the Ice
Hmm, does it have to be someone who has won at least 5 Nationals to welcome Nathan to the 5 times club? If so then Eldredge comes to mind. I think he has 6 US titles?

I think I hear Boitano, Wylie. I'm not sure I'd recognize anybody else's voice. It almost sounds to me like Weiss started the third sentence and Hamilton finished it? Wouldn't be shocking if they asked Dick Button to just say the last 'Nathan Chen.'

Thank you all for your help identifying the voices.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hmm, does it have to be someone who has won at least 5 Nationals to welcome Nathan to the 5 times club? If so then Eldredge comes to mind. I think he has 6 US titles? ...

A couple of minutes before your post, I had edited my earlier post -- because re-listening had changed my mind about the possibility of Eldredge. :)
The voice that says, "Welcome to the five-time ...," does sound sorta like Todd's.

... Still can't figure out who said "You are amazing!" ...

Not sure, but maybe Rippon -- who is heard more than once, I think??

Normally I tend to be quite understanding that NBC's time constraints mean that it must be selective in what it shows. But I do think it is a shame that NBC did not not show Nathan's introduction, after USFS went to the trouble of getting many champions to honor him with their participation.
Do I assume correctly that snippets of video (as opposed to only audio) were edited together to form the introduction, so that Nathan could see the faces on the big screen in the arena?

Gilligan

On the Ice
re: ice coverage's post (too lazy to quote)

I also think I hear the same voices early and also later during the intro.

That's very interesting-- I hadn't considered that Nathan might have seen who was introducing him on the jumbotron--and not just have to guess whose voice that is. I hope so. That would be a nice touch.

alexaa

Final Flight
Hmm, does it have to be someone who has won at least 5 Nationals to welcome Nathan to the 5 times club? If so then Eldredge comes to mind. I think he has 6 US titles?

I think I hear Boitano, Wylie. I'm not sure I'd recognize anybody else's voice. It almost sounds to me like Weiss started the third sentence and Hamilton finished it? Wouldn't be shocking if they asked Dick Button to just say the last 'Nathan Chen.'

Thank you all for your help identifying the voices.
You can hear how he talked last year.

The last person sounded much senior than Scott and Brian, other than the above mentioned, with my limited knowledge, the other persons I could think of are David Jenkins who appeared in that 2010 backstage video with Nathan, and his brother Hayes Jenkins, whose wife Carol Heiss was among the judging panel of that Aerial Challenge. Both of them are 4-time national champion.

David Jenkins at 0:59

Normally I tend to be quite understanding that NBC's time constraints mean that it must be selective in what it shows. But I do think it is a shame that NBC did not not show Nathan's introduction, after USFS went to the trouble of getting many champions to honor him with their participation.
Do I assume correctly that snippets of video (as opposed to only audio) were edited together to form the introduction, so that Nathan could see the faces on the big screen in the arena?
That is my assumption. It would save us so much trouble if NBC showed this. It is a historic moment to see so many faces

Last edited by a moderator:

Gilligan

On the Ice
LOL bonita at Dick joking about how flailling has become wildly important in ISU championships...

that's terribly funny, but I do think Nathan's understated, minimalist FS, where there is no flailing when the music doesn't call for movement, is being under-appreciated by people who call it 'empty,' because they are used to, shall we say, much 'busier' choreo?

I hope Dick saw and appreciated the beautiful nuances Shae and Nathan brought to his 2021 Nationals FS. Yes, I prefer my skating light on flailing and light on melodrama. Not that Nathan can't be plenty passionate when it's called for, such as in Nemesis.

re: David Jenkins video:
aww... the 10 year old Nathan video! T_T
I listened to the voices, thank you for your research. I still think it's more likely Dick doing the intro (less likely Mr. Jenkins). Agree with you it's a more senior person than Scott and Brian.

1111bm

Final Flight
Exogenesis is a warhorse and Nathan doesn't do them
To be fair, marie.francoise said "a program along the lines of Jeremy's Exogenesis" and not the exact song.

But I don't think Jeremy's style is one that would suit Nathan, I don't think it is sth. he would enjoy. Actually Nathan has his own style, and what I like about his Shae-Lynn programs for instance, is how she manages to highlight that.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Nathan's official website home page has been updated to include Jackson Ultima logo alongside Nike and Toyota

Also photos from Nats

Regarding warhorses, I don't think it's so much Nathan having a policy of not using them but rather his choreographers encouraging him to try new things. And judging by his body of work he's clearly capable of moving far beyond the usual musical mainstays used by most skaters.

Last edited:

sheetz

Record Breaker
Nathan talks about his "why's"

For Russian speakers, this is the podcast Nathan mentioned in his IGS. First one features Stasya Konstantinova, who has trained with Raf in the past. She apparently gives her impressions of Raf and Nathan at 47:27

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be fair, marie.francoise said "a program along the lines of Jeremy's Exogenesis" and not the exact song.

But I don't think Jeremy's style is one that would suit Nathan, I don't think it is sth. he would enjoy. Actually Nathan has his own style, and what I like about his Shae-Lynn programs for instance, is how she manages to highlight that.

I agree about the Nathan's unique style. For me, it's a laid back, cool, carefree but controlled vibe. I like it a lot.

I know people get worked up about costumes, but I think his choices suit his personality. They're straightforward, not fussy.

sheetz

Record Breaker