Nathan Chen | Page 1016 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

sheetz

Record Breaker
I don't like the idea of reusing Nemesis, but it may be ok if done in a limited fashion. If he's successful it might be seen as a bold and clever move, but if he fails it might look quite foolish.

kmfee

Rinkside
Depending on the Benjamin Clementine song in question, it might actually suit him really well from a pacing perspective.

which Benjamin Clementine songs could he be using to complement Nemesis? I'm especially interested in which ones you were talking about from a pacing perspective.

sheetz

Record Breaker
ETA: I'm more concerned about the FS rumor mill with the 4lo as the first jumping pass which points to a 6 quad layout. This is from Twitter though and I hate Twt for many reasons lol.

I'm not sure what is the source of that rumor but he attempted 4Lo at Las Vegas Invitational last season, too, so it's not a huge surprise. That still doesn't mean it will make it into his competitive program when the time comes, however.

SaDa

On the Ice
If these rumors are true, this guy is one brave soul. Doing things that are unconventional and/or risky is so Nathan.
I'm super curious about his programs and I'm even more excited to see them now. So, for sure, Shae is doing the choreo to at least one of his programs, right?

Last edited:

lurkz2

On the Ice
Given the consistency of the rumors from different sources, at this point I'd be surprised if his programs were not:

SP - Benjamin Clementine with Nemesis back half / step sequence
FS - Apashe Lacrimosa

Looking forward to seeing them SkAm seems so far away.

Last edited:

mindatwork

Rinkside
I know some people are on the fence about Nathan re-using Nemesis again, but I honestly think it's so brilliant. It's not the exact same cut, so it doesn't have any of the potential baggage the original program did from the 2018 season. But if (when) he skates it clean it'll be a total redemption AND full-circle moment. Plus, the step sequence at the end of Nemesis is not just one of the best step sequences he's ever done, but maybe one of the best step sequences from men's skating, point blank. SLB really did what she needed to do with that program, and I'm excited to see what she does with this one.

zebobes

Final Flight
I think it will depend on the execution of it all. I remember how the Shibutanis back in 2018 made their FD a Coldplay medley, recalling the success of their past Fix You FD, and I thought that the final result had too many melodies that made the overall emotional impact of the FD weaker, imho.

Of course, it is quite different from what Nathan is doing, but the original piece had such a great melodic build throughout the whole song. I look forward to seeing how it flows.

SaDa

On the Ice
I know some people are on the fence about Nathan re-using Nemesis again, but I honestly think it's so brilliant. It's not the exact same cut, so it doesn't have any of the potential baggage the original program did from the 2018 season. But if (when) he skates it clean it'll be a total redemption AND full-circle moment. Plus, the step sequence at the end of Nemesis is not just one of the best step sequences he's ever done, but maybe one of the best step sequences from men's skating, point blank. SLB really did what she needed to do with that program, and I'm excited to see what she does with this one.
I'm really excited to see this too! I've seen some comments wondering why he would deliberately create such a high pressure situation for himself, but I view it a little differently. I think this shows what Nathan's genuine mindset is regarding the Olympics from 2018. He has said before that he's no longer bothered by it and that he wouldn't re-do anything. Well, by doing this kind of a program, it shows that he's perfectly comfortable with what happened. I really think it's just the fans who are still somewhat traumatized. He has to be quite relaxed and confident in himself since he's doing this, and I think that's a great mindset to have. It seems like this will be something of a nod to the last Olympics and to how much he has thrived and grown since.