Nathan Chen | Page 1077 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

asaragena

Rinkside
Hi everyone! I've been a visitor to this forum for quite a few years but haven't really posted. I only would come on to check about Michelle Kwan. I actually named my youngest child, Michelle, lol! I'm a grandmother now and had to move away from my beloved island of Oahu. It's become so expensive that I had no choice but to leave but my heart will always be there. Isn't Nathan's brother living in Hawaii now? Nathan is very impressive and a wonderful young man and now I always check on him! Waimea Valley is on the North Shore of Hawaii and was very important to the Hawaiian monarchy. The beaches and the surf there are magnificent to see. Never go in the water if you don't know what you're doing, lol. As for the chickens, we are so used to seeing them walking around. It's become part of Hawaii but the crowing can get annoying. I'll be checking here to see what other adventures he will be going on before he goes back to school. Aloha Nui Loa!

asaragena

Rinkside
I have a question? I know Nathan is going to give a seminar in Mexico. I noticed that Mariah is going, too. Are any other skaters participating?

Last edited:

sheetz

Record Breaker
I have a question? I know Nathan is going to give a seminar in Mexico. I noticed that Mariah is going, too. Are any other skaters participating?
Not that I know of. But that could change.

Nathan enjoying the Hawaiian surf.

One more group photo with the SOI cast and crew

ISU's top 5 #UpAgain moments.
"Truly I never imagined I’d be able to make it this far in my career and be able to go to two Olympics and have the opportunity that I had today. It really means the world,” Nathan said. “Certainly it's been a pretty long journey, and of course includes a lot of people that have supported me throughout my career. So to be able to have a moment like this and be able to reflect back on all the people that have helped me throughout my time in skating means a lot."

asaragena

Rinkside

That beach looks like Lanikai in Kailua. The waves look calm. That definitely is not Waikiki, lol. If you're thinking of going on vacation. Do Not stay in Waikiki. It's a tourist trap! Go to the West side of Oahu where the locals are.

reneerose

Final Flight

Alice IS short! LOL I love the family bond. They're a tight-knit, loving brood. So fortunate to have that.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Nathan spotted at Honolulu Airport

Peak inside the Time100 issue.

Reminder that Sun Valley tickets are scheduled to go on sale today.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Short message from Nathan to the next generation of skaters.

Sun Valley ticket sales have begun.

At the SOI M&G a Japanese fan asked Nathan what he would skate to at Sun Valley. His answer was that he still didn't know yet but that he's preparing for something new. The fan also posted a bonus clip of the first public performance of Nemesis at Sun Valley!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We are huge Jeopardy! fans, but we are several weeks behind on our viewing of the shows (thank goodness for the DVR). Last night we caught up with the game where there was a sports category (called "Sports Shorts," or something like that). The $2,000 clue showed a clip of Nathan & referred to his Olympic victory in figure skating. I cringed as not one of the contestants could recognize him/respond with "Who is Nathan Chen?" :cry: I was glad to hear Mayim Bialik say something like, "He was amazing," though!

Last edited:

sheetz

Record Breaker
New description of Nathan's memoir on Amazon:
In this exhilarating memoir, three-time World Champion and Olympic gold-medalist Nathan Chen tells the story of his remarkable journey to success, reflecting on his life as a Chinese American figure skater and the joys and challenges he has experienced—including the tremendous sacrifices he and his family made, and the physical and emotional pain he endured.

When three-year-old Nathan Chen tried on a pair of his sister’s figure skates, magic happened. But the odds of this young boy—one of five children born to Chinese immigrants—competing and making it into the top echelons of figure skating were daunting. Chen’s family didn’t have the resources or access to pay for expensive coaches, rink time, and equipment. But Nathan’s mother, Hetty Wang, refused to fail her child. Recognizing his tremendous talent and passion, she stepped up as his coach, making enormous sacrifices to give Nathan the opportunity to compete in this exclusive world.

That dedication eventually paid off at the 2022 Olympic Games in Beijing, where Chen—reverently known as the “Quad King”—won gold, becoming the first Asian-American man to stand at the highest podium in figure skating. In this moving and inspiring memoir Chen opens up for the first time, chronicling everything it took to pursue his dreams. Bolstered by his unwavering passion and his family’s unconditional support, Chen reveals the most difficult times he endured, and how he overcame each obstacle–from his disappointment at the 2018 Olympic Games, to competing during a global pandemic, to the extreme physical and mental toll the sport demands.

Pulling back the curtain on the figure skating world and the Olympics, Chen reveals what it was really like at the Beijing Games and competing on the US team in the same city his parents had left—and his grandmother still lives. Poignant and unfiltered, told in his own words, One Jump at a Time is the story of one extraordinary young man—and a testament to the love of a family and the power of persistence, grit, and passion.

asaragena

Rinkside
There's a funny picture of Nathan here.
It looks like a repost from Olivia Smart. I know she's an ice dancer and her skating partner was Adrian Diaz. Isn't Madison Hubbell going to marry Adrian? Are they getting married soon? I did more research and now I see Adrian has retired and also Madison.
It looks like Cancun from Kaitlyn's post. Mariah is also there.

Last edited:

Apple1078

Final Flight
Nathan is also writing a children's book:

"The Olympic gold medal winner's book, One Jump at a Time: My Story, will be published by Harper on Nov. 22, and HarperCollins Children's Books will release Chen's first picture book in February 2023."

"Chen's picture book promises to be just as inspiring as his memoir. The book, which is still untitled, follows "a young boy who learns to find the joy in sports no matter the outcome," according to the press release. The book's editor, Megan Ilnitzki, says in a statement: "Through his perseverance, talent, and exuberance, Nathan inspires us all to remember that showing up, having fun, and doing the best we can in competition already makes us winners, regardless of what the scoreboard says.""

sheetz

Record Breaker
Nathan also just made the book announcement on his IG.

Pursuing Equity in Sports and Education with Panasonic

SOI wrap up

reader3

Chicago Lady
Final Flight
Country
United-States
We had just flown to Calif. last week to see family and the airport at Santa Ana is near Irvine, where we have to pass to go visit. We had to pay homage to the Great Park Skating rink, where NC did so much of his training. When you walk in, there is the huge banner for the Olympic Champion. That 's my daughter in the pic, who posted here when she saw him in the SOI show a few weeks back in Chicago. ( unfort. her eyes are closed, lol.)

Attachments

• mary nathan great park.jpg
    mary nathan great park.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited: