Nationals Exhibitions | Golden Skate

Nationals Exhibitions

Michelle is da bomb again, except a whole new bomb as in bombshell. I have been WAITING for Michelle to do an exhibition like this for years--a sexy, sassy, soulful, hair-down, "how d'ya like me now" number. To us an overused turn of the phrase, she put the voom in va va. She skated to "I Keep On Falling (in Love With You)" and was so HOT! No wonder Dick Button asked her at IFSC if she was in love. She sure looks like it. The only funny thing was she wore another Vera Wang dress in the style of the ones she wore for her short and long, except this one was white and the only one of the three to keep her "howdies" as Rgal calls them (love that!:laugh:) from saying "Howdy!" when this was the program where it would have been appropriate for at least a "Hi!" Those of you who saw it will know what I mean.

But Michelle was at a whole new level, really expressing mature sensuality. I know she was incredibly sexy in "TFB" but in "IKOF" she was flirtatious and playful as well as "Come and get me boy!" Of course all the technical and skating aspects were there, too. This was the first time Michelle showed me that she has the range that Kristi and Yuka have. I didn't doubt that she had it--at least not since last year--but now she's showed it. Great, great, great and hot, hot, hot!

Sasha skated to "Romeo and Juliet," the Nino Rota version, and was absolutely lovely. Very secure on all her jumps, good expression. Nobody can create sheer magic out of a spin like Sasha, IMO. Same exhibitions costume as last year, the dark one with the peacock pattern. Right before Sasha skated they showed a short piece on Tiffany Chin (they'd been doing that throughout to celebrate ABC's 40th Anniversary of televising Nationals) and I thought how Sasha reminds me in some ways of Tiffany Chin. I saw Tiffany live at '84 Nats and thought she should have won over Roz, although I realized Roz had more on the jumps. Tiffany won Nats in '85 and I'd forgotten she was the first Asian-American to win Nats. Anyway, the combination of Tiffany's artistry and technical ability but problems with consistency reminded me of Sasha. Hopefully Sasha can find the root of her problem and a way, or ways, to solve it. She is simply o beatiful out there.

Johnny Weir skated to John Lennon singing "Imagine" and looks like both a whole new skater and a whole new man. Last year he still looked like a boy. Now the testosterone has kicked in, he's more muscular, and his technique is simply splendid. Also a very elegant and moving interpretation of "Imagine" without being over emotional or mugging. Hit just the right notes in his skating.

Nobody else really outstanding--either they did their SP or exhibitions they'd done a number of times before. Eg, it's time for Tanith and Ben's "Elvis" to leave the building. Inoue and Baldwin looked nice. But once again, Michelle stole the show.
Rgirl

Rgirl, .... never mind, I'll PM you.

About Johnny Weir, I think he's the next Brian Boitano.

Mathman

sk8m8

Final Flight
Talk about a "HOWDY, HI THERE, HERE'S LOOKING UP YOUR ADDRESS!" THe camara man took this INCREDIBLY long shot of Melissa Gregory ( of Silver Medal Dance fame) doing a split lift where you could have had the time to draw a diagram of, as Church Lady used to call it, her "bulbous naughty parts" on her costume as the shot lingered on FOREVER.

What were they thinking??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Guess the director was getting coffee then, eh? :laugh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I thoroughly loved the exhibitions as well. Johnny Weir is amazing. He floats down from his triple jumps and reminds me, in that respect, of Ilia Kulik, but as far as body line and carriage, he's Robin Cousins all over again.

Sasha was lovely........if she could just skate like that when it really counts and I agree, she takes spinning to a whole new level. At that, she's the best.

I am beginning to like Renee and John the more I see them skate. They seemed to be well matched, and what's more, they relate to each so well. He presents her, which I think is lovely.

I like Ben and Tanithe, but wow, the couple that won the silver is amazing (now I remember them from Toni's cheering thread where I said, "Duh, who are they?") Now that's a couple to watch out for.

I loved Jenny's playful number and was glad to see she seems to be recovered from her flu symptoms...........and Michelle, well there you have a whole new side, from drama queen to "Da Bomb".........she is "simply, the best"........42

Antilles

Medalist
Ok, I loved it when Dick made a great comment about Michael Weiss. After Mike ripped his shirt open, Dick made a comment to the effect that Philippe Candeloro was back. Classic Dick.

There were a lot of great performances. I too really enjoyed Rena and John. Michelle was great, as were Johnny, and Tanith and Ben. I missed Melissa and Denis though.

My favourite performance was that of Sasha. I love that piece of music, and she did a fabulous job with it.

guinevere

Final Flight
Michael's program was just embarrassing. I thought it would be fun at first, but it was just a poorly thought out program whose only purpose was to show off Weiss' gymnastic abilities and his abs. Not that there's anything wrong with either of these, but the choreography was lame lame lame.

Nice to see the Jr Champs!

Jenny has really found her niche, programmatically. I used to think her skating looked a bit juniorish, but the over-the-top hairdos (todays was just a ponytail but it still seemed stylized) and fun characters seem to give her something to connect to while she's skating. I also like when skaters have an exhibition program that takes the theme of a competitive program further, in a fun way.

I really liked Innoue and Baldwin's program! I agree with Peggy and would like to see them find that ease and connection in their competitive programs.

Gregory & Petukhov's program just grossed me out. Good thing they won't have a chance to perform this exhibition number at Worlds, I doubt it would go over well internationally. Whenever I see this couple I can't help but think of the Chris and Cathy Dollanganger, from Flowers in the Attic. They are just a little too unreal looking.

GREAT program from Sasha! I love that costume of hers. Hey, it could work for Swan Lake! maybe (pleez?) Sasha would consider exchanging it?

Johnny is a star! I can't wait to see him at Worlds!!!!

Michelle....nice to see her skate w/her hair down, although it's so long I was worried for her on a couple of those jumps! I'm not generally fond of women skaters using contemporary pop songs for exhibition or pro programs - especially if any dance moves are involved - but this was a very nice program, it felt incredibly honest and heartfelt. But the dress did not work for me. Of the 3 VW dresses in this event, this was the only one I didn't like. I thought it was incredibly unflattering - which is hard to do with Michelle IMO. The shirring in the front and the extra center neckline piece made it look like the dress was way too big and baggy. I think the SP dress with the daring neckline would have been great for this program!

guinevere

Edited to remove a typo

Bijoux

Match Penalty
If you liked Michelle's "fallin"

by Alicia keys, you would love Nicole Bobek. She really skates with her full being more than any skater. She is georgeous as a pro, but lacking in jumps. Still she was asked on most of the shows and always on COI Tours.

I can't think of a more beautiful skater with such polish.

In ladies, Jenny was the standout. Her SP and her gala skates were fabulous. She is a dancer like Sasha and I see both of them with SOI, gold medals or not.

I may be in the minority, but I think Michelle's dreaming re her 3rd Olympics. Last year I was impressed and thought she earned it. This year was redux. I think she is trying to top M.Vinson's national's records or tie in 2005.

I don't see at all the gold in Turin. In two years barring injury, Jenny and Sasha will be mentally much stronger, and there are so many still to pop us in the world. Carolina Kostner come to mind. Michelle may fill the stands for USFSA, but the non die hards may have lost interest in a nationals dominated sport by Michelle.
A lot of lesser fan-atics re FS than us want to see new stars.

But I guess USFSA knows it's numbers. I don't think the 6'0s were deserved but she is their best hope for gold at worlds. She has to be the most consistent skater of the last century.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Rgirl, .... never mind, I'll PM you.

About Johnny Weir, I think he's the next Brian Boitano.

Mathman

I don't think so :laugh: Brian didn't wear costumes quite like Johnny's... and Brian skated more for the technical... where as Johnny has very ... fluid arms.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Re: If you liked Michelle's "fallin"

Bijoux said:

I don't see at all the gold in Turin. In two years barring injury, Jenny and Sasha will be mentally much stronger, and there are so many still to pop us in the world. Carolina Kostner come to mind. Michelle may fill the stands for USFSA, but the non die hards may have lost interest in a nationals dominated sport by Michelle.

IMO those who are not fans of Michelles seem to be frustrated that by her continuing to win the gold she is keeping their favorites from it. It's nice that those who claim not to like her skating attribute her with such control over the outcome of a competition, LOL.:D If the other fans want to see new stars then I suggest they tell these new stars that they need to start shining by standing up on their skates for four minutes.

rain

Record Breaker
My one thought while watching the exhibitions was how hideous Michelle Kwan's white costume was. Ugh! I don't care who her designer is, that thing was just really ugly. For one thing it made her upper body (shoulders etc) look huge - which, considering her size is something i would have thought impossible. I loved her costumes for the competition, but this one should be burned. The neckline is the worst offender - for some reason the multiple gathers just reminded me of curtains.

OK. Shallow I know, but sometimes these things stand out!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After Mike ripped his shirt open,
Now, why did he do that??? It was uncalled for and speaking of ta-tas, did he have any?:laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I agree about Gregory & Petukhov. Though I think they probably chose this knowing they would only medal at Nationals. The one thing I did like, though, was the last few seconds of the program, leading into the final pose.

I was impressed with Orscher & Lucash's skate. I don't really like this team, but I though their exhibition number was head and shoulders above what they normally do.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Michael's program was just embarrassing. I thought it would be fun at first, but it was just a poorly thought out program whose only purpose was to show off Weiss' gymnastic abilities and his abs. Not that there's anything wrong with either of these, but the choreography was lame lame lame.
This goes to show you why you shouldn't have your wife choreograph your skating routines.

And I have to agree with rain on Michelle's white costume-enough Vera Wang.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Rain,

I agree with you regarding Kwan's costumes. Although her skating at Nationals was oustanding, I didn't care for her costumes-----any of them. To me, they were all the same costume in a different color with more straps and tucks in some than others. Although I generally like Vera Wang designs, I just didn't care for these.

It seems to me that the attempt with designers of figureskating costumes is to design something different first and foremost at the expense of something of beauty.

I didn't think Kwan costumes did anything to enchance or represent the music or programs and frankly didn't really flatter her at all.

Dizzy

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
so the reason Melissa and Denis's program to "God Bless America" was disgusting was because of the song??? I guess skaters should only skate to songs that strike a sexual-emotion?

I thought Michelle looked fantastic in all of her dresses. Did the white one look like Marilyn Monroe in Some Like It Hot?

Toni, I think that what was called "disgusting" was the really graphic extended right-into-the-camera crotch shot on the carry lift. Ice dancers used to do that all the time, until the ISU told them to clean up their act.

About the God Bless America music, I love patriotic and martial themes, especially for Todd Eldredge. But I thought that this particular version of God Bless America was kind of insipid and without any oomph or flair. They should have used Kate Smith.

MM

windspirit

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
so the reason Melissa and Denis's program to "God Bless America" was disgusting was because of the song??? I guess skaters should only skate to songs that strike a sexual-emotion?
Personally I didn't think their program was disgusting (I thought it was quite nice, actually; lyrical, etc.), but I must say that I did roll my eyes when I heard the song. I know he's waiting for his citizenship, but please... ;) But seriously, IMO I don't like it when skaters choose songs like this. It's almost as if they tried to sway the audience not with their skating but with a theme. Well, at least they didn't choose the song "I’m proud to be an American," which is one of the cheesiest songs ever written, and simply bad, baaad.

As for the rest of the exhibition programs:

- Weiss' program was painfully bad. Oh Michael... *sigh*
- I love Michelle's hair! It really becomes her. It looked great in the contrast with the very white dress (although I thought the dress itself could've been more, um... "delicate", for lack of the word).
- I'm glad they showed two junior single skaters. I wish they'd showed Jahnke, as well (they did show Corwin!).
- Johnny Weir... :D Loved the final spin - when he repositioned his hands three times, finally putting them into "loops" his bent legs made (in a cannon ball position).
- B&A - he makes a really great Elvis. She was great, as well. I like this program, they should've kept it (in competition).
- Sasha was exquisite. I only wish she'd chosen a different hairdo.

I'm glad they showed the fluff piece about L&T. Naomi talked about the letters fans kept sending them, when they (she?) lost the joy they had for skating, and she got all teary when she said, "I didn't realize that people get so much from skating." Someone send them a letter with the lyrics of the song "I Hope You Dance"... and they played a piece of it, "Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance/And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance/I hope you dance....I hope you dance." It was very sweet and thoughtful (of the fans who sent it to them).

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
Re: If you liked Michelle's "fallin"

Bijoux said:
Michelle may fill the stands for USFSA, but the non die hards may have lost interest in a nationals dominated sport by Michelle.
"No one rushed Gretzky/Jordan out the door"

Oh, and you're not fooling anyone with the "lesser fanatics want new stars". Just be honest and say you want Kwan out of your favorites' way.

" Johnny Weir... Loved the final spin - when he repositioned his hands three times, finally putting them into "loops" his bent legs made (in a cannon ball position). -- Winspirit"
That's interesting to me, because that was the only move that I didn't like aboutWeir'sperformance. it looked weird to me. (But then, I think that some of Lucinda Ruh's spins look weird.)

I was most impressed by Weir's form on his jumps. They were so straight and pure, to me. (To Toni -- I thought Johnny's hand and arm movements to be a lot less distracting this year than in the past.) Once he egts his quads down, I think he is going to be the MAN. I think he is already a more lyrical skater than Plushenko.

Mathman

PS.
Michelle may fill the stands for USFSA
She may and she does. God bless America and long live the Kween!

Last edited: