Nationals Exhibitions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Nationals Exhibitions

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I loved all of Michelle's dresses (still not sure about the coral color on her though). They reminded me of the old Hollywood glamour girls. Simple in the glitter/sequin department but oh so elegant in the cut and drape of the fabric. Michelle wears white better than any skater I've seen. The style of the coral one especially with all of the different gathering around the chest would be flattering on Sasha. I love the low cut backs on Sasha but some gathering in the front would be really pretty on her.

windspirit

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Toni, I think that what was called "disgusting" was the really graphic extended right-into-the-camera crotch shot on the carry lift. Ice dancers used to do that all the time, until the ISU told them to clean up their act.
I didn't notice that right-into-the-camera crotch shot, same as I didn't notice when her dress slipped last season... I must be looking at Denis too much. :laugh:

Mathman, I can see why someone might think that spin of Weir looks strange, but to me it was very nicely done, maybe that's why I liked it so much. I thought it was fluid and effortless. And, of course, innovative. :)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
so the reason Melissa and Denis's program to "God Bless America" was disgusting was because of the song??? I guess skaters should only skate to songs that strike a sexual-emotion?
1) When I said I "agreed" about their program, I actually meant that I agreed with disliking this program; I would not have used the word "disgusting" myself.

2) I thought doing a program to "God Bless America" was very cheesy. There are patriotic songs/ programs that I enjoy, but I think it's a fine line -- once you cross it, it's no longer art, it just :rolleye:

3) There is a huge middle ground between "songs that strike a sexual-emotion" and what G&P used.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
1) When I said I "agreed" about their program, I actually meant that I agreed with disliking this program; I would not have used the word "disgusting" myself.

2) I thought doing a program to "God Bless America" was very cheesy. There are patriotic songs/ programs that I enjoy, but I think it's a fine line -- once you cross it, it's no longer art, it just :rolleye:

3) There is a huge middle ground between "songs that strike a sexual-emotion" and what G&P used.

ITA. That is why I hated Phillipe's "I'm Proud to be an American" and Mike Weiss's "purple soldier boy" programs because I feel that they are skating to the patriotic music just to make the crowd cheer for the theme, and make people who didn't like the programs feel guilty or unpatriotic.

There is a funny example of this in Gypsy, where Mama Rose says even if the act is lousy the crowd will forgive you if you have a strong finish. And the finish for their lousy act was Louise twirling a baton to patriotic music with the back up girls holding the American flag in the background.

Smiley0884

Rinkside
Well I happened to like G&P's "God Bless America" IMHO it was done tastefully, with out any "looook at meeee I looooove Aanerica" moves or props, unlike Candeloro who was decked out it red, white, and blue, waving around a flag. Gee maybe Melissa and Denis actually have a love and appreication for America, THAT'S why they might be skating to that song :rolleye:

amykaren

On the Ice
My favorites from the exhibiton:

1-Johnny Weir: Style and power combined. It was a very peaceful and beautiful number. It moved me-the kind of number that you feel instead of just seeing.

2-I. & Baldwin: Out of all the pairs, they looked like as Dick is always saying "Two shall skate as one". They didn't look like they were trying too hard as the other pairs. They made it look easy. A graceful and romantic number.

3-Sasha: When she is on, she is on! A very pretty and graceful number.

4. Michelle: Beauty on ice. I liked the dress and the music, and of course she skated it so well. Her hair is getting so long!!

Other notes:Elvis should leave the building IMHO. I've seen it 20 or so times and I'm kind of tired of it. Michael's number seemed like a repeat of what he usually does, just wrapped up in different dressing.That being said, I'm sure these are programs that would go over better seeing it live and in person-perfect COI numbers for the teenagers and young at heart.

Great to see the junior champs skate.

cianni

On the Ice
Mathman

OH my when I saw michelle in that white dress and skating to that music first thing I thought was OMG Mathman must be going nuts. Good Grief what happened to our little 13 yr. old ponytailed jumping bean. Shes a lovely young women . I agree with Rgirl been just waiting for Michelle to let go and skate to a sexy sassy number. I loved it and Im one of the few who liked her white dress. Hope you enjoyed Mathman. Cianni

heyang

Record Breaker
All I can say is 'I'm grateful my TiVo works correctly'. I've been sick and actually dozed through the Exhibitions. Will probably get around to watching tonight since I'm feeling lots better.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thought Kwan looked and skated great. Loved the hair. I also was reminded of Kristi Yama. Weir has arrived. I think he represents a new trend in men's skating. Cohen was lovely looking and skating beautifully. I haven't liked her much recently but nearly cried when she fell during her LP in the competition. Her exhibition skate represented everything she is capable of. Kirk is on the rise and I hope it continues. I agree that she skates better when she is able to act out a role. Went to the bathroom during Weiss's skate. Really tired of B&A's Elvis number. Not that hot on them yet. Still prefer L&T. Like Inoue and Baldwin a lot. Did last year too. But I wish he were a bit better at throwing her. Maybe he needs a bit more upper body strength. Great to see the juniors. Meisner is so cute and so composed.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I still say that thing that Sasha was wearing makes her look like she's covered with leaches. To see an interesting picture of Mr. and Mrs. Showbiz wearing the same color lipstick, click on the bell:
%

Pookie

Final Flight
Just about the only performance I saw was S & D. It was an improvement over the "Pink Panther" but still not great. I don't understand why they waste their time learning show moves like the Detroiter when their basic pair skating is not that good! It seems like they should be working on what it takes to win competitions before they worry about the "crowd-pleasing" things. It is painful to watch them attempt the Detroiter. :eek:

Re: Mathman

cianni said:
OH my when I saw michelle in that white dress and skating to that music first thing I thought was OMG Mathman must be going nuts. Good Grief what happened to our little 13 yr. old ponytailed jumping bean. Shes a lovely young women . I agree with Rgirl been just waiting for Michelle to let go and skate to a sexy sassy number. I loved it and Im one of the few who liked her white dress. Hope you enjoyed Mathman. Cianni
I did! I did!

Then, again, part of me wants my little jumping bean back. I guess life doesn't work that way. *sigh*

Now I am all conflicted.

Here she is in the white dress. Wow!

http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v32/kwanin2006/Exhibition/2021213dhamtall111200482226PM.jpg

And here is the real Michelle:

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/AXB111011023_1024x768.jpg

Mathman

Pookie

Final Flight
I'm sorry I didn't get to see Michelle's exhibition. I think the picture with the white dress is beautiful. I think this is the best style she has had in a while, along with her SP dress from last year. I love the simple elegance without all the glitz.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Michelle's Exhibition

Loved Michelle's exhibition program and music. I found it very different than her usual programs.

Michelle looks stunning in white but I didn't care for the style. The dress had too many tucks and folds for my taste. Usually Vera Wang has very simple, elegant designs.

Dizzy

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Smiley0884 said:
Well I happened to like G&P's "God Bless America" IMHO it was done tastefully, with out any "looook at meeee I looooove Aanerica" moves or props, unlike Candeloro who was decked out it red, white, and blue, waving around a flag. Gee maybe Melissa and Denis actually have a love and appreication for America, THAT'S why they might be skating to that song :rolleye:

That's how I saw it

Mike's patriotic medly, while I liked the program as a program, was extremely cheesy... Melissa and Denis have used this program for about a year and a half now, it's the first time I've seen it and I think they chose the right version for their style of skating... it was enjoyable... and hey if it WAS a ploy(which I doubt it was) to get some attention to get his citizenship, I see no problem with it, they deserve a chance to skate at the Olys!

I do have to apologise... I was really not going off as a fan of the team(I love them :laugh: ) but I was going off as a big time patriotic music fan :laugh: forgive me?

Last edited:

eliza88

On the Ice
The best of the exhibitions was Michelle, Johnny, and Sasha. Amber was fun too...I really like Sasha's "Romeo and Juliet"--it's my favorite program of hers and the only one of hers where her emotion reaches me. I wish she always skated like that.

My only complaint about the exhibitions was what was up with the cameraman?? I loathed all the weird angles they kept doing--sideways, up, down, tilt the rink, etc. Not only did it make me woozy, but I couldn't get a good feel of where the skater was on the ice...

eliza88

dizzydi

On the Ice
Exhibitions

eliza88,

Thanks for reminding me.....Amber's exhibition was fun. In fact, her skating at Nationals was really great. It was nice to see her success and to watch her joy. She was so happy with her competitive programs and it showed.

dizzy