Nationals Exhibitions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Nationals Exhibitions

Re Idle's photo of Johnny and Sasha:
Awwww! I hope some of Johnny's new found consistency and confidence rubs off (figuratively speaking;)) on Sasha. She's said in the past that they are good friends.

BTW, I think Johhny's lips are that color naturally. Some people have naturally red lips. Angelina Jolie wears gray lipstick (MAC) when she goes out in the day time because her lips are so red.

Piel,
I agree that gathers around the bust might look nice on Sasha. But I must say I just don't care about an athlete's cupsize. When a certain skater recently got implants, I thought she looked worse. Sasha, to me, has a gymnast's body--very lean, broad shouldered. There was a woman I danced with who had a very similar body and also had a cupsize of negative AAA. Her father bought her breast implants--I loved that, parents buying their children body parts, lol--and not only I but also most people thought it ruined her line. BTW, I got a good pair from my mother, so it's not like I'm waving the flag for flatchested women because I'm one. In athletes, I just don't care. I just want the costume to reflect the music and or style of the program, fit well, and not be too busy. When Sasha goes out on the town, then she can worry about decollaboobage.;)

Re Vera Wang--it seems like with Michelle she's doing themes. In '02, she made essentially the same dress in different colors. Last year the dress for "TFB" and "Aranjuez" were different--I liked the one for TFB, though I thought Aranjuez was a strange color and that the gold stuff was distracting. Then this year, the dresses are all our of the same fabric and as someone else said, just in different colors with different straps. Just as it's time for Elvis to leave the building, I like it's time for Michelle to dump Vera Wang. For the amount of money she's paying for these dresses Wang just doesn't seem to be doing a good job. IMO, none Michelle's dresses reflected the character of the music. I thought Michelle looked beautiful in all of them; it's just that they didn't go with the programs, IMO. Come on, Shelly. Give some other designers a chance. I'm sure they'd love it and do a great job of 1/10th the price.
Rgirl

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I liked Michelle's National outfits better than I have the last couple of years. The outfits this year were more sleek and less adorned with all that gold stuff. I remember Fetal saying it looked like someone threw oatmeal at Michelle as she skated arond the rink. To me there has been no more beautiful outfit than Sasha's swan outfit. I just loved it and I got to see her wear it in person and it is more beautiful than what we see on TV.

Dee

blurrysarah

On the Ice
Hmm, hadn't seen the white dress before those pics. It's an...interesting....design, to be polite about it.
.....Ok, I hate everything about it but the colour.

Out of the three Vera dresses, I have to say I like the coral Tosca one the best. The gathered material gave an interesting texture, and combined with the colour I don't think it needed sequins. However, I still prefered the old purple tosca dress. That was just gorgeous. :cry:

dizzydi

On the Ice
Exhibitions...

Dee4707,

I think you make an interesting point. Perhaps costumes do come across better in person as opposed to on TV. In the past, several people have commented that an outfit they didn't like on TV was actually quite attractive in person. Sometimes the color, texture, etc. can be somewhat distorted on TV.

Rgirl,

Thanks for pointing out that Vera Wang seems to be into a theme when designing costumes for Michelle. You are absolutely correct now that I think about it. The past two seasons have been the same in that virtually it was the same dress with either a color change or minor changes with straps, etc. It does show a lack of consideration with matching the program with the costume. You have nailed exactly. Thanks for that observation.

Dizzy

Eliza

Rinkside
I loved Johnny, Sasha, & Michelle in the exhib.

Amber & Jenny were good too.

I am also tired of the B&A Elvis routine.

Michael --- Lose the "tornado", lose the silly looking peroxide streaks in your hair, lose those silly blades & the arrogant smirk that you get on your face when you do tricks with them (you make me want to reach into the TV & slap you!), lose the chair handstand, do NOT lose the shirt - your bare chest is not a pretty sight. Mike, why don't you just get lost --- go join the circus.

Sorry, Mike just makes me cringe.

nymkfan51

Medalist
Rgirl ... you are so right about Michelle's exhibition number. I was in the front row and could not get over her movements and the really sexy looks on her face. I had seen this number at COI and did not have anywhere near the same impression of it. I guess she wasn't in love yet!
I actually loved her Tosca dress ... the neckline and straps were different ... and I loved the color on her. I was lukewarm on TFB dress. The white one was nice, but I do agree with some that it didn't seem to fit perfectly ... maybe too much fabric.
But having said that ... I would like to look that good just once in my life! :laugh:

BTW ... KwanFan1212 sat right behind me, so I had a chance to meet her. What a doll!!!

heyang

Record Breaker
Hey, Rgirl. I was thinking about Vera Wang's slight modifications to make a couple of dresses each year, too.

The various straps did give different looks. TFB purple appeared more exotic than the elegance of the Salmon (but orange on TV) Tosca. I actually thought that the white gave MK an air of 'goddessness' which made me think of Mathman (because MK's one of his goddesses). Overall, they were nice dresses.

However, IMO, the construction of the dresses was not great for skating as proven by the various MK exposed pictures. I would imagine that sensing that one's ta-ta's might be showing would be a distraction.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
nymkfan51-You are so sweet!! Thank you for the mention in your last post. It was SO great getting to sit near you for the exhibitions Sunday!! We sure did have a lot of fun eh?! LOL :D

Highlights of the exhibition for me: MK (I personally enjoyed the white dress!), Ryan Jahnke's program to 'The Lord's Prayer' (which ABC committed a huge sin by not showing to you all), Rena & John, Johnny skating to 'Imagine' perfectly, Melissa & Denis, Amber, Jenny Kirk's Chicago number, Michael W. skating early enough that I could get his program out of my head long before any of my faves skated (LOL), and Kimmie Meissner's cute program. She is just too cute. Great day of skating for sure after a really wonderful week of Nationals. And sitting behind kwanette and nymkfan51 was very fun too! Loved meeting you gals finally! *HUGS* :D

I guess she wasn't in love yet!
Nymkfan, what are you telling me? Do you know something I don't know, or are you just going by Dick Button's speculations?

I was in the front row and could not get over her movements and the really sexy looks on her face.
However, IMO, the construction of the dresses was not great for skating as proven by the various MK exposed pictures. I would imagine that sensing that one's ta-ta's might be showing would be a distraction.
I don't know. Maybe you ladies can enlighten me about this. Maybe the feeling of daring and danger made her feel more sexy, both vulnerable and powerful at the same time, while she was skating? All performing art has an element of exhibitionism.

MM

nymkfan51

Medalist
Mathman ... I was actually just picking up on Rgirls post, where she mentioned Dick's comments on Michelle being in love. Sad to say, I have no inside info ... but she sure does look like one contented lady! :love:

As for the dresses ... I would think that in an exhibition, it would be much easier to go the skimpy route. But for a competition, I have to think that fear of one's ta-ta's coming loose, could be just a tad too daring! :laugh:

shine

Record Breaker
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee I saw Kimmie Meissner. I'm in love. She reminds me a just a bit of Tiffany Stiegler. Beautiful edging, sensitivity, perfect carriage. Finally a lady to root for at Jr. worlds this year. wheeeeeeeee!

Antilles

Medalist
Looking sexy can feel good, but if you have the feeling you are about to fall out of your dress or really show all to the world, that would be rather distracting. I don't think Michelle's dresses would go that far though. They looked pretty safe.

heyang

Record Breaker
I don't think the tops of MK's dresses this season are as snug as usual since she looked more bosomy. When the boobies are snugged down, there's less risk of exposure since they won't move around as much.

Also, the material of these dresses seems softer which makes the dress more prone to movement, too.

For these 2 reasons, there were more cleavage shots of MK skating than usual.

Hornblower

Rinkside
My guess is that Michelle's dresses are safe enough after watching the key moments closely in stop action and slow motion on my VCR. This brought out the old physicist in me (I majored in physics before the draft changed me to a career military bandsman). The greatest sustained upward force came in the camel spins, and I calculated it as 3 or 4 times the force of gravity. There was upward motion but no serious slipping that I could see. There might have been greater momentary forces during jumps but I could not see anything. The SP dress did not appear to be anywhere near embarrassment before she pulled it up a bit after the performance.

Tantalizing tops are nothing new for Michelle. When I first saw the blue Lyra Angelica dress at '98 Nationals, I thought, "Is that thing safe?" The one she wore for the opening ensemble in '02 COI was really stunning.

I would say that Michelle and Vera Wang know what they are doing. Of course an athletic woman would be better qualified to comment than I am.