NBC To Take over US Skating Coverage through Next Olympics | Page 9 | Golden Skate

NBC To Take over US Skating Coverage through Next Olympics

Michelle turned down the offer to do commentary work for NBC in Torino after she withdrew as a competitor. If she has any ambitions along these lines, I hope she will approach the job as conscientiously as she did her skating. She needs to work with a voice coach and to undertake serious training in TV journalism.

On the other hand, I bet we see her in Beijing next summer. :)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Michelle turned down the offer to do commentary work for NBC in Torino after she withdrew as a competitor. If she has any ambitions along these lines, I hope she will approach the job as conscientiously as she did her skating. She needs to work with a voice coach and to undertake serious training in TV journalism.

On the other hand, I bet we see her in Beijing next summer. :)

I don't think that Kwan commentating now (when she hasn't competed for two years) would be anywhere near the distraction she would have been had she stayed in Torino.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't know if it was mentioned in the thread but David Michaels will be the producer of NBC's skating coverage. He was in charge of the skating coverage during the 2002 and 2006 Olympics, so I think this bodes well that we'll get a similar style of coverage for US Nats. (whether you liked the Olympic coverage or not, I'll leave that for you to draw the conclusion). IOW, it should be more comparable to Torino coverage than to Gymnastics coverage.

If you do a simple google search on "NBC US Figure Skating" you'll also get tons more articles (but they all basically repeat what we know already).

Last edited: