New Skater!!!! Am I good??? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New Skater!!!! Am I good???

davincisoprano

Rinkside
Hey so I was thinking about ice dancing. Do you think I can compete for ice dancing instead? My mom said I can get one private lesson a week.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to focus in ice dance, but keep in mind that your private lessons are going to be focused on mastering your basics first. You may be able to do crossovers, but you're going to have to do them at the level judges are expecting. It may be a while before you start any of the dances.

Ice dance is VERY technical. It's also very beautiful. But to test the pattern dances, you have to be able to stay on beat and on pattern and show the right emotion for the dance. IE The dutch waltz is going to look very different from the Canasta Tango.

concorde

Medalist
You should be checking to see if there is a theatre on ice group in your area. Those teams needs skaters of all different shapes, sizes, and skill levels.

I would not say that either freestyle or ice is easier. Both present different technical challenges.

What makes both ice dancer and pairs extremely difficult is you need a 2nd person that complements you.

jf12

Final Flight
Hey so I was thinking about ice dancing. Do you think I can compete for ice dancing instead? My mom said I can get one private lesson a week.

It's not a good idea to start ice dancing unless you have gotten further with your skating. You'll need basic skating skills, as other posters have said. It will also be nearly impossible to do it partnered with only 1 lesson a week, since you need a coach to partner you. It'll be hard to practise on your own that effectively. You won't be able to get a partner unless you get pretty good, so you have to pay your coach to partner you every time you want to skate partnered.

babsseed341

Rinkside
Thank you, I have decided to stay on basics and probably get a 30min private coach per week or 2 weeks, and after that I will see what goes on from there. I am hoping to go to local competitions and land all singles (maybe the axel) and if possible doubles. I also might want to perform in local shows. (If any of those are possible)

loopy

Final Flight
I say, get the coach and take the lessons and have fun. At Beta you can do competitions, be in rink shows, ice theater and there are even beginner synchro teams you might be able to join. Be prepared though to be one of the oldest kids with 5-8 year olds - if that doesn't bother you, you can do so much! You're 12, try and see what happens. At the very least, you will enjoy settings goals, meeting them, hard work, and focus. Also, you can volunteer with your rink at competitions. Have a great time! At a certain point in time, you might find one lesson + classes limiting to your skills, but worry about that when it happens. My daughter is at a competition level with USFS and has only had at the most 60 minutes of lessons a week. She has to really try hard on her own to gain skills, but if it is important to you, you will figure it out.

MasterB

Final Flight
I won't tell you what you can or cannot do but, I will share my situation and hope it gives you some guidance.

I started skating at 11 and came from zero money. My skates cost $30 brand new and I learned to skate from watching others. I was able to teach myself and by the time I was 13-14 year's old I was able to do all of the spins and up to double jumps. I did learn the salchow the old fashioned way (Tara, Sarah, Dorothy). I only skated on Saturdays on public sessions. I didn't compete until I was 14 and I was terrible at it. The nerves killed me but, I still loved it. Eventually my parents could afford lessons and I finally learned proper edges which help tremendously with my over all skating. If your coach sees potential in you they will give you some of their time.

The skating community is like a family and if you stick with it they will support you. There is always someone who is willing to help you move forward and develop your skills. You are very young and anything is possible.