NISA files claim against ISU | Golden Skate

NISA files claim against ISU

G

GSK8

NISA files claim against ISU

You will have to register to view the entire <a href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,4-701168,00.html" target="_new">article</a> but here is a tidbit:

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">The National Ice Skating Association (NISA) has filed a claim with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against the International Skating Union (ISU), the sport's world governing body, over its new judging system.</blockquote>

M

mathman444

Re: NISA files claim against ISU

Hey Paula, I tried to register, but it costs 49.99 pounds (and that's not Euros, LOL) a year to join!

I assume that the NISA is the British skating federation. But I'm not too clear on exactly what the Court of Arbitration for Sport is or what authority it has. Am I remembering right that Kyoko Ina was intending to protest her suspension to that body, before a compromise solution was agreed on?

Does anyone know anything about the CAS and whether the ISU has any reason to care what they think?

If anyone has actually able to read this article, what is the basis of NISA's suit? Is it that the new judging system was put into place in defiance of the ISU's own constitution?

Mathman

G

GSK8

Goodness.....that much??

Here is a quote from the article that I found in another newsgroup. Perhaps some more research at the NISA site might help as well. Haven't had a time to see if the released anything official.

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">The National Ice Skating Association (NISA) has filed a claim with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against the International Skating Union (ISU), the sport's world governing body, over its new judging system.

...snip....

Haig Oundjian, the NISA chairman, claims that the ISU member nations passed the new judging system at Congress last June "purely as a project" to be studied and tested until the 2004 Congress.</blockquote>

J

Joesitz

Just to read that someone is standing up to the ISU is good news. Luv it.

Joe

T

tharrtell

I'm also glad that the ISU is being challenged. Why is it that dictators seem to thrive in these large, international, sports unions? - another example being formed IOC pres., Juan Antonio Samaranch. Speedy should have been overthrown long ago.

G

GSK8

Because the article is copyright, I can't post it. However, I now have the full text version for those who want a copy.

To get it, please email me at [email protected] with Subject: NISA

Paula