Olympic Closing Ceremony | Golden Skate

Olympic Closing Ceremony

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can anyone tell me the symbolism of all the brides??? I was doing something else while watching and didn't catch the meaning.

Dee

Last edited:

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
I'm glad I'm not the ony one! I watched on CBC then again on NBC just to see if NBC would explain it.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Dee4707 said:
Can anyone tell me the symbolism of all the brides??? I was doing something else while watching and didn't catch the meaning.

Dee

I offered my meaning on the thread I started - Olympic Closing - anyway, here goes: Being Italy and Roman Catholic (mainly) I think it was supposed to represent the Brides of Christ and Peace (they assembled into a dove at the end). Makes sense to me.

Hope this helps.

Frau Muller

Final Flight
The IOC would never allow religious symbolism in its ceremonies.

The Brides symbolized Hope for the Future...just as innocent brides marry with sparkle in their eyes and hope in their hearts.

Dibs

Rinkside
I think the NBC announcers said that the brides represented hope. I guess when one thinks of a bride then you're supposed to think of white dress and purity and bride's hope for her future, but that was just my take on it. Then when they assembled into the dove I just figured it meant hope, peace, and the rays of light they carried were the Olympic Spirit being carried on. Maybe I'm off my rocker, but that's what I took from the announcer's comments and the images of all those women in white. I don't think it had anything to do with religion although that's what I thought at first too.