Olympics - team figure skating - | Golden Skate

Olympics - team figure skating -

oceanle

Rinkside
Does this mean Russia won't be competing in the Team Figure Skating? If so, who do you think will podium?

I think it's Canada, USA and Japan.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wait? What? I thought they could compete as a team? :scratch:

oceanle

Rinkside
Really? But they aren't a country. I wonder what the qualifications to enter a "team"?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Nothing has been announced formally regarding Russia's participation in the Olympic Team Event. We are waiting on the ISU to make an announcement, and they have not yet given any indication as to when we can expect one.

If Russia cannot participate, the Team Event spot will go to Australia, who will then have to choose a dance team to join them (likely Kerry/Dodds I'd imagine). Which is why I think it is fairer to make the decision sooner, rather than later. But NOTHING HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED YET.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Although many of us criticize Russian skaters and Russian judging in many ways, I have to say that the Team event feels quite empty without Russia.

The skating country with the lagest amount of athletes in all disciplines and with the greatest skating history maybe has to sit next to the rink.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Look.
You can't make assumptions about things until the ISU makes a decision about it.

The ISU has said that "Olympic Athletes from Russia" WILL be allowed to compete as a team, due largely in part to Medvedeva's wonderful speech.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-su...te-in-pyeongchang-2018-under-the-olympic-flag
Quote form the article: "These invited athletes will participate, be it in individual or team competitions, in the Olympic Winter Games PyeongChang 2018 under the name “Olympic Athlete from Russia (OAR)”. They will compete with a uniform bearing this name and under the Olympic Flag. The Olympic Anthem will be played in any ceremony."

I agree with you. I don't see how a team of Russians would be treated differently than two individuals competing in pairs or dance.

Ziotic

Medalist
Although many of us criticize Russian skaters and Russian judging in many ways, I have to say that the Team event feels quite empty without Russia.

The skating country with the lagest amount of athletes in all disciplines and with the greatest skating history maybe has to sit next to the rink.

Canada actually has the largest team, they qualified 3 entries in 3 events and 2 in the 4th. Russia qualified 3 in 2 events and 2 in 2 events.

Although I agree it would feel empty without them!

skatespin

On the Ice
What is the precedent for this? Have people ever competed in the Olympics in a team event all under the Olympic flag in any winter or summer event?

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
What is the precedent for this? Have people ever competed in the Olympics in a team event all under the Olympic flag in any winter or summer event?

Unified Team 1992. is a most common example of competing in team events under the olympic flag. Yugoslavia for example (that same year) was not allowed to compete in team events under the neutral flag and Serbia, Montenegrian and Macedonian unified team was replaced in team events by Croatia and Slovenia (former parts of Yugoslavia) with their individual national flags. There were some other examples in the past with mixed nationality teams. See for details https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Olympians_at_the_Olympic_Games

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Unified Team 1992. is a most common example of competing in team events under the olympic flag.

Yes, I remember there was quite an uproar about this, as pairs gold medalists Mishkutenok and Dmitriev were surprised that their national anthem wasn't played during their medal ceremony. At least this time, the athletes know what to expect.

kenboy123

On the Ice
For starters, we need to wait to see how many Russians will even show up at the games, some said they will, some said they would not want to, and others have simply dodged questions...Assuming that all Russians do go to the games, i don't know if they will be able to compete as a unified team because they would not be competing as "Russians" or they may not be even competing as "Olympics Athletes from Russia" since that isn't really a team, rather...it's just a whole bunch of Russians representing themselves and they are all individual entries...if some of them don't go to the Olympics, then they can easily find some others skaters to fill the voids, but it wouldn't be the "Russian team"...so, i would say it's up in the air whether they will be competing as a team...for any other event, it is much easier to let people compete, the team one is going to be harder to manage depending on who shows and anyone decides to skip

Here's what what I hope happens. Three Russian ladies, Medvedeva, Zagitova and Sotskova show up to skate as "Athletes from Russia." Then Tsurskaia arrives, saying, I am an athlete from Russia, too. The ISU says, the country of Russia only has three spots. Go home, Polina. Polina says, "No, that's out the window now. The country of Russia cannot select anyone."

Then Konstantinova shows up, saying, hey, I beat Polina at Russian nationals. Polina says, no, there is no such thing as Russian Nationals.

Kenboy123 said:
For starters, we need to wait to see how many Russians will even show up at the games, ...

Seriously, though, i would be astonished if any eligible Russan figure skaters decided to stay home out of spite or self-righteousness. If they want to get even with those hypocritical WADA folks, come to PyeongChang and win! That'll show 'em!

kenboy123

On the Ice
Here's what what I hope happens. Three Russian ladies, Medvedeva, Zagitova and Sotskova show up to skate as "Athletes from Russia." Then Tsurskaia arrives, saying, I am an athlete from Russia, too. The ISU says, the country of Russia only has three spots. Go home, Polina. Polina says, "No, that's out the window now. The country of Russia cannot select anyone."

Then Konstantinova shows up, saying, hey, I beat Polina at Russian nationals. Polina says, no, there is no such thing as Russian Nationals.

Seriously, though, i would be astonished if any eligible Russan figure skaters decided to stay home out of spite or self-righteousness. If they want to get even with those hypocritical WADA folks, come to PyeongChang and win! That'll show 'em
!

Didn't Medvedeva say not representing her country is NOT an option, you gotta think she isn't the only one who thinks this way????...she still might go though IF she is healthy

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't Medvedeva say not representing her country is NOT an option, you gotta think she isn't the only one who thinks this way????...she still might go though IF she is healthy

She’ll be representing her country as an Olympic Athlete from Russia ;)

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
IF she is healthy.....and that isn't her country, the medals will not go towards Russia...

Medvedeva has said in a Korean interview on TV recently that she will participate and the IOC has said that Russian athletes will be allowed to compete in team competitions also. Medvedeva has been also filmed jumping and looks to be healthy enough.

kenboy123

On the Ice
Medvedeva has said in a Korean interview on TV recently that she will participate and the IOC has said that Russian athletes will be allowed to compete in team competitions also. Medvedeva has been also filmed jumping and looks to be healthy enough.

If that is the case, then...we don't have a need for this thread anymore.