Original Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Original Dance

outofafrica

Rinkside
I think a first and fourth are still enough for GPF?? oh god... that was horrible... hope he can get over it very soon!

Final Flight
the big D/S!
fumble-ish from oksana in foot work!
sssssssslow spin

im bored

nice see-saw lift that look struggled....

most disconnected outfits....i laugh when i ever i see maxim...:rofl:
gap meet fruit of the loom meets 90s granny scarf

score: something ridiculous + something ridiculous aka 58.64 = 97.41

yay?!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think a first and fourth are still enough for GPF?? oh god... that was horrible... hope he can get over it very soon!
No, but they can certainly medal still if they skate better tomorrow (which they should).

BTW,Yay for K&N being ahead of D&S in ODs. I think the judges are rightly penalizing D&S for OD that has nothing to do with this year's theme.

missysays

On the Ice
Wow- Khok/Nov won the OD. Good for them. Domnina/Shabalin need to go back and look at their OD. Technically it seemed a little messy in areas and if they're going to do a waltz- style dance it's got to be clean to place over the other teams.

You know one thing I observed- Shabalin in his "hooligan/bum" outfit still moves really smoothly with elegance but Domnina as she moves around in her "lady" outfit comes across as really butch. It's more obvious in this costume than in some of her other more flowing dresses. She moves like a guy- even more so then her male partner. :laugh:

outofafrica

Rinkside
No, but they can certainly medal still if they skate better tomorrow (which they should).

BTW,Yay for K&N being ahead of D&S in ODs. I think the judges are rightly penalizing D&S for OD that has nothing to do with this year's theme.

humm. who's getting the sixth spot? I see them taking the sixth spot even with a 4th place finish here.

Yeah, they will rank higher in the FD, but they have to beat the italians by 7 points to medal though...

MissIzzy

Final Flight
We will have, I believe, three locks for the Grand Prix Finale after this event, provided the standings stay as the currently are. the two D&Ses will be locked with two golds, and it will become impossible also to knock Tanith & Ben out of the top six.
However, at NHK Trophy there are Faiella & Scali, Pechelat & Bourzat, and Samuelson & Bates. Right now I'm think F&S will probably win, but P&B might, and if they do, they're locked. If they do with F&S taking silver, both teams are in. However, that makes it impossible for S&B to get anywhere, so that leaves one spot open, which Meryl & Charlie take over K&N on the tiebreaker.
If P&B do not win, they also go below Meryl & Charlie on the tiebreaker(and probably below K&N on the score tiebreaker too, given how K&N are getting scored here!).
Really, in order to get in, S&B would have to win. If Faiella & Scali take silver, they still get in over both American teams with more points, but that will take P&B out of it completely, and the two American teams both get in over K&N. If P&B take silver in that scenario, the two American teams beat both them and F&S, because they would be reduced to bronze then(and I suspect their scores would give K&N the last spot).
So as long as they drop no further, Meryl and Charlie are in.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Yeah, they will rank higher in the FD, but they have to beat the italians by 7 points to medal though...
It's a tall order, but it's doable. C&L's best FD score is 90.46. D&W's is 100.16. So it's certainly doable. Though D&W's best was at 4CC which perhaps has slightly inflated scores.

outofafrica

Rinkside
For ice dancing, like that step sequence, if Charlie did not fall, it'll be level 3 or 4, so as soon as he falls, it'll be dropped to level 1 automatically? is that how it works?

MissCleo

On the Ice

Well assuming that Dom/Shab wins with K/N second (and D/W 4th), then both K/N and D/W will have 24 points and D/W will be ahead of K/N by virtue of winning at Canada no matter what happens in Japan. If K/N beats Dom/Shab (not too likely, but stranger things have happened) then both K/N and Dom/Shab will be ahead of D/W, then NHK becomes a nailbiter competition for them.

Essentially what MissIzzy posted

beep_beep

Medalist
Am I the only one under the impression that GP dance events are being won at complusories ? A team take a big lead at complusories, they might lose on OD or FD (or wi by the slimmest margin). In the end, their lead at compulsories saved them. (except at SC...)
I know it's not over yet and it can change.

It should make a very interesting GPF: it has no compulsories
Those dance teams are so even (meaning, everyone is in a high level) this season...

One question please

Domnina & Shabalan, who imo danced very well but that Waltz. Is that a dance of the 20s, 30s or 40s??? I thought the Waltz came about during the 19th Century. Please answer.

beep_beep

Medalist
Domnina & Shabalan, who imo danced very well but that Waltz. Is that a dance of the 20s, 30s or 40s??? I thought the Waltz came about during the 19th Century. Please answer.

more like 18th century, I guess. I don't think that goes with the theme this season...

Shouldn't there be a deduction for going out of the theme ???
I think it should...

Last edited:

McWicked

On the Ice
Woah, what happened 2 Charlie?!?!?!? Falling twice, so unlikely of him. My best wishes for tomorrow, they're my favourite couple.

lmarie086

Medalist
more like 18th century, I guess. I don't think that goes with the theme this season...

I think it should...

I think there should. It's a charming OD but it stands out of the theme for the season.

Charlie = [. I'm almost glad I overslept I don't know if I could have handled that. Poor guy, I hope they do better tomorrow!

sophie

Rinkside
It's a tall order, but it's doable. C&L's best FD score is 90.46. D&W's is 100.16. So it's certainly doable. Though D&W's best was at 4CC which perhaps has slightly inflated scores.

C&L
cup of china
TSS:85.37
TES:45.10
PCS:41.27

D&W
skate canada
TSS:88.24
TES:45.00
PCS:44.24
Deduction: 1.00

I think it should...
No offense to the parties concerned, but I think it calls for a disqualification. And waltzing on ice is the easiest of all the dances.

I mean things lightened up after Stalin. They should have been aware of those old hollywood movies.

decker

On the Ice

I thought the rhythm and dance must be representative of the selected time period (1920s, 30s and 40s this season). They need not have been invented during, or exclusive to, the time period.

That said, the Shostakovich Variety Stage Orchestra Suite #1* dates from the 1930s. The jazziness is clearly characteristic of the (rather wide) time frame. The waltz is probably more characteristic than the polka movement from the same suite :) But I dunno. I think one of the just plain "dance" movements in the same suite that would be a better choice in terms of adhering to the rules.

Then there's the whole question of whose idea of representativeness should set the standard. Should something be deemed unacceptable just because it was characteristic of the 1930s Soviet Union instead of the West?

*Useless trivia for the day ... Dom/Shabs are using the old title, Jazz Suite #2, which has now been correctly reassigned to the real JS#2, a completely different suite of music. JS #2 was lost during WWII. Then it was thought to be found (the suite D/S use). Then some new music history detectives hit the trail and determined there had been an error.

Susan

I thought the rhythm and dance must be representative of the selected time period (1920s, 30s and 40s this season). They need not have been invented during, or exclusive to, the time period.
So you believe the Cha Cha, Merengue could have been used? The Tango came into being in the 20s. Why bother with the specifics of the requirement. if an old 17th century dance is ok?