Original Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Original Dance

beep_beep

Medalist
So you believe the Cha Cha, Merengue could have been used? The Tango came into being in the 20s.

Well, for the tango it is stated in the rules that it could not be used. As for the latin dances that came on the period, I thought they could be used, even some 1930's samba (gafieira, choro, breque...). Sure, they are not considered as characteristic of the period in question, but they came along during that time and they are not ballroom.
Is there something on the rules that indicate these dances cannot be used ? (then again, there's nothing on the waltz...) :think:

Why bother with the specifics of the requirement. if an old 17th century dance is ok?
True...
I wished they dropped that program and got some quickstep or something like it, they are lovely at it.

Last edited:

Mafke

Medalist
Sure, they are not considered as characteristic of the period in question, but they came along during that time and they are not ballroom.
Is there something on the rules that indicate these dances cannot be used ? (then again, there's nothing on the waltz...)

IINM the waltz isn't mentioned by name, but the dance is not supposed to ballroom (and I thought it doesn't get any ballroomier than a waltz). It's certainly a violation of the spirit (if not the letter) of the rules. The (very mild) jazz interpretation doesn't change the fact that it's not a 30's rhythm by any stretch of several imaginations.

But if they've gotten away with it twice so far (and it looks like they have) I predict they'll get away with it for the rest of the season. I'm not sure what recourse judges have in the matter at this point. Maybe it's okay if you're Russian and coached by an OGM....

What about Ernesto Lecuono's Malaguena? It was written in the 30s and is often danced as a flamenco?

C'mon, a waltz is a waltz is a waltz whenever it was written. Richard Rodges has at least one in every show he did during the 30s and 40s.

pista04

On the Ice
Sorry if this is getting totally passed over for a reason, but what did their coach say? If you don't feel comfortbale saying it in here, feel free to message it to me.

And, poor Davis/White! =[ Ruined my morning hearing they had that mishap..and especially poor Charlie. I hope they can pull it together tomorrow, and all the scenario's of how they are locked for GPF work out as we think they will.

lmarie086

Medalist
I've got to admit, I was in denial a bit when I was reading all the comments about D/W. And then I saw it. Yep, we know what Sphilband said. I said it too; the only way I could react to that.
And in all honesty, my heart broke a little bit for them. Charlie, I hope someone is giving him a hug because he needs it!

They've got a very demanding OD. And it looks as though they've added little stuff here and there, and the speed looked increased as well since SC. So really it's a very strong team making very silly mistakes because IMO if you take out the falls, it was a far superior performance to that at SC and would have scored very, very well.
In the slss, that's the same spot Charlie slipped on at SC, so they need to look at that closely. I don't know what happened at the end of the diagonal line; did his blade get caught in a rut or something? He just slipped so randomly, he looked so surprised!
While they have great twizzles Charlie always make me nervous because he goes into it with such abandon. He needs to control it better; the second twizzle is usually excellent but he just needs to calm down on the first one.
(((Charlie)))

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I've got to admit, I was in denial a bit when I was reading all the comments about D/W. And then I saw it. Yep, we know what Sphilband said. I said it too; the only way I could react to that.

(((Charlie)))

Sorry to be stupid, but WHAT did Shpilband say???

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Didn't see it but I imagine it rhymes with Shuck! or Fit!

Oh, ok, of course -- duh.

Something about the several comments here about "what Shpilband said" made me think he'd expressed some concern about Meryl and Charlie in the OD or some such before the competition -- as though he'd had a feeling they wouldn't do well or something.

As their coach, I'm sure he had several expletives to say!

gold12345

Medalist
I thought it was like uck with a specific letter in front of that.:cool:

Tell me why Ice Dance frowns on falls so much and Carolina can fall all day and it's just a bobble?

Because Carolina usually rotates her jumps. The actual landing is just the little unimportant thing that happens at the end. ;) :rofl:

Last edited:

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Am I the only one under the impression that GP dance events are being won at complusories ? A team take a big lead at complusories, they might lose on OD or FD (or wi by the slimmest margin). In the end, their lead at compulsories saved them. (except at SC...)
I know it's not over yet and it can change.

It should make a very interesting GPF: it has no compulsories
Those dance teams are so even (meaning, everyone is in a high level) this season...

I think that the older dancers (the two D/Ss) will be the most disadvantaged without the CD. Most of the top teams are really close in the ODs and FDs, and without the CDs which really set them apart, someone else might just catch up and win the GPF.

Kypma

Final Flight
I think that the older dancers (the two D/Ss) will be the most disadvantaged without the CD. Most of the top teams are really close in the ODs and FDs, and without the CDs which really set them apart, someone else might just catch up and win the GPF.

But wasn't there a theory last year that Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir had been held down at the final? They had even beaten one of the top couples (Domnina-Shabalin?) in the original and free dances at NHK, yet at the final they finished fourth. I never watched the programs, so this is just what I can remember from reading this board (I think).

-Kypma

beep_beep

Medalist
But wasn't there a theory last year that Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir had been held down at the final? They had even beaten one of the top couples (Domnina-Shabalin?) in the original and free dances at NHK, yet at the final they finished fourth. I never watched the programs, so this is just what I can remember from reading this board (I think).

-Kypma
NHK last season... I think it was Delobel/Schoenfelder (did I spell it right ?)

Fashionista

On the Ice
Hi everybody!
I'd like to say a few words about D/S' waltz. The point is that waltz was the sound of Soviet 20's-30's - it was the most popular dance right before and during the WW2. So they had a right to choose this theme and I don't think the judges make any punishment for their music choice although there might be those who know nothing about culture and history of pre-war Soviet Union.

^^^
I'd like to see that exception in official writing. Who was dancing, the Soviet Team or the Russian Team? Maybe an Armenian team could do a knockout waltz to the Katchatorian Waltz? Would that be ok, too?

Fashionista

On the Ice
Why do you call it exception? In official writing there's said that this season's OD is a rhythm of "the swinging 20s-30s", right? There's no any note that it should be the American 20s or 30s. It can be Chinese 20s or Soviet 30s as well. Why not? Different cultures had different 20s. There was no swing or blues in USSR that time but there was the time of russian romance and waltz. I think sometimes it's very useful to be a little bit more open-minded.

Last edited: