Painful coach-skater splits in the past | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Painful coach-skater splits in the past

76olympics

On the Ice
Jaana, I thought about Kulik/Tarasova as well. He seems like an independent thinker to me and wasn't drawn to a maternal coach relationship like the one she achieved with Yagudin. I "think" it was his decision to turn pro and leave the coaching relationship and she was not happy about that.

In regard to Frank Carroll and his skaters, he said a few times that he achieved more "detachment" by the time he worked with Michelle due to his prior experiences with Fratianne and Bowman. He said -due to youth and inexperience- he was too emotionally invested in Fratianne and it wasn't good for his health and -of course- Bowman was a nightmare by the end. He said everyone thought he looked ten years younger after he stopped working with Bowman. He was able to handle the situation with Michelle so professionally because he had gone through the crucible in a few different ways. From the start, his coaching relationship with Michelle and her family was professional and this probably helped him to handle the split so well ( that and Michelle's personality which is diplomatic).

Yuna was Brian Orser's first outstanding student and he has a lot more living to do as a coach.

Ellen

Rinkside
Mishin essentially fed him and trained Plushenko for free. Plushy owes everything to Mishin, quite literally. People critizize Plushenko for really a lot of things but I think its a good thing about his character that he recognizes where he came from.

I wish though that Mishin would have realized his weaknesses and helped Plushenko get better choregraphy etc.

Exactly! If Evgeny starts skating in competitions again he MUST change choreographer and change his programs construction. I wonder why the officials/consultants in Russian FS federation (T. Tarasova, for example) had not interfered in the preparation of his Olympic program. Or maybe somebody tried to give Evgeny some advises but Evgeny trusted Avdish so much and did not want to work with anyone else..
I think that Plyushenko and A. Mishin are good tandem, but they really need a different more professional choreographer.

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
Eh, Plushenko's plan almost worked, so it's hard to fault him for sticking to his comfort zone.

It's true. First of all, his FS had a higher base value than Evan's didn't it? If he had had those few bobbles he would have won gold. He won silver, which for a comeback after four years away and his third Olympics, etc, etc, is soooooooo impressive. I mean, who does that?
It is a shame that all that was lost by the all ill will at the end.

Tonichelle: thanks. I'll look for those forums. I do know all about the arm pulling and all ... just could never seem to find anything about her blunt comments about Sarah and Sasha.