Pairs FS Worldwide: The Divine Discipline | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Pairs FS Worldwide: The Divine Discipline

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
No, it didn't in 2018.
I skipped that one.
But what I remember from previous times, the year after OG is usually when athletes retire, change partners/coaches and fail to qualify as a result, take a year off etc. etc.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I skipped that one.
But what I remember from previous times, the year after OG is usually when athletes retire, change partners/coaches and fail to qualify as a result, take a year off etc. etc.
I don't remember it ever feeling like the discipline is done for.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I don't remember it ever feeling like the discipline is done for.
Well, that's subjective. A good part of the posters on this thread don't feel like that. Me included :) I'm team "it will be interesting to see how federations will scrap the bottoms of their barrels".

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Well, that's subjective. A good part of the posters on this thread don't feel like that. Me included :) I'm team "it will be interesting to see how federations will scrap the bottoms of their barrels".
Lol. I've already seen it in the 2022 worlds, and it wasn't at all interesting. It was also really dangerous to put pairs who are not prepared to a competition that is too high for their level of preparedness.

Ganya

Rinkside
Out of sheer curiousity, perhaps. Wonder if it will be fun enough then to see these bottoms of the barrels actually perform:wink:

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Lol. I've already seen it in the 2022 worlds, and it wasn't at all interesting.
That's subjective, too.

Out of sheer curiousity, perhaps. Wonder if it will be fun enough then to see these bottoms of the barrels actually perform:wink:
I don't think so. You can find amazing things at the bottom of the barrel.
There are many ways how to create a pair: put together two singles, bring back somebody who has had a longer break, bring in roller skaters. There will be room to experiment. And, as this is the very beginning of the quad, we can expect pretty serious results by the next OG.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
That's subjective, too.
Where did I say otherwise? Even if the quality is subjective, and someone may have enjoyed what was shown during the Worlds, the facts are facts.

15/24 of the top ranked pairs will not be active next season.

In JWC, only 10 pairs entered, when in 2019 it was 16.

Japan curtailed pairs entries to only 4 in JPF this year.

Hence, pairs are declining as discipline in numbers. I mean, I get it that there is this giddy sentiment, but there are not many pairs left and no talented young ones in the wings unless JWC is going to show otherwise.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't see any danger for pairs at Worlds due to inexperience or preparedness? I've seen this comment before, and I am wondering where it comes from?

Ashley Cain-Gribble was the only pair skater injured at Worlds, that I know of (I could be missing something). She and Timothy are seasoned world-class competitors who were performing elements that they had successfully performed many many many times before in international competitions. They were certainly prepared.

I have seen junior pairs skate live, and yes, in comparison, you can see how even the lowest ranked senior pair is stronger and more accomplished, but everyone has to start somewhere.

And no one was at Worlds who had not qualified under the standards, was there?

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
What? According to that sheet, Kadyrova/Balchenko and Pepeleva/Pleshkov are confirmed splits? This is the first time I hear of that.
It's been floating around on Twitter for a few days that Kadyrova is now with Kolesov (Akhanteva's partner), heard from a Russian forum. Not really confirmed but apparently these forum rumours usually end up being true. I hope the P/K rumours are not real! :pray:
Pepeleva/Pleshkov is probably speculation due to Alina's break and their coach's tendency to split pairs and create new ones.

To me it's a bit scary to think that you cannot take time away for health or injury without worrying about having a partner when you return. 🥺

noskates

Record Breaker
Geez, why all the doom and gloom? A lot can happen in a year and it would seem to me that the beginning of any quad is a building year. I'm definitely not ready to give up on pairs as a discipline. Think it's a little too early to even be thinking about it.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lol. I've already seen it in the 2022 worlds, and it wasn't at all interesting. It was also really dangerous to put pairs who are not prepared to a competition that is too high for their level of preparedness.
Every single one of those teams had tech minimums, so it shouldn't have been "too high for their level of preparedness." And there's no reason to believe any of them would not have been there had China and Russia been there. They were already entered.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I think the bigger issue is the lack of teams just below the top tier waiting to move up as the teams at the very top retire. Every country—yes, even Russia and China—is looking rather thin at the moment.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the bigger issue is the lack of teams just below the top tier waiting to move up as the teams at the very top retire. Every country—yes, even Russia and China—is looking rather thin at the moment.
It is nuts. I hope to hear of more pairs being formed and that they stick together. All countries

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Strange that James/Radford are missing. When Aljona/Bruno stopped competing they stayed in the ranks for quite a while, just because of the points they piled up in 2017/2018. But perhaps Covid changed such things? But they must have gotten good points at Worlds? Even Nika Osipova and Dmitry Epstein are in there (and they had an awful season because of Covid).

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don’t see Moore-Towers/Marinaro either. Someone doesn’t like Canadians?