Parents and coaches | Golden Skate

Parents and coaches

coppertop1

On the Ice
I was reading an older forum in the archives here about Mira Leung, and apparently she had one of those interfering mothers who many think hampered her daughters chances, it sounds like Caroline Zhang may have also had an interfering mother, and a comment I saw inferred the same of Sasha Cohen's mother (Don't know if it's true). Why do you think parents interfere with their child's career? Is skating really what these parents one, more than the kids? How should coaches handle the parents?

Also, is it a good idea for a parent to coach their child? I think it would depend on the situation. Sometimes it can be a very bad idea, the most infamous being Surya and her mother. Surya's coach was never a skater and so couldn't teach the basics. However, in other cases it works. Krisztina Czako of Hungary was coached by her father, I think Yuka Sato was coached by her parents. In these cases, the parents were also skaters.

What are your thoughts?

And I think Denise Biellmann was coached by her mother. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about this; I'm going on memory) Denise had a long career in both the eligible and pro ranks, and she maintained her skills well into her thirties. Someone was doing something right!

So I agree with you that coaching one's child can work in certain circumstances.

As for "stage mother" skating parents, I suspect that some people are just difficult and are control freaks. They have to run the show, whether or not they understand the factors involved. Others may feel that skating is so political, they have to keep a tight rein on everything to protect their kids. And many parents live their own dreams through their child, which is often very wearing on the child.

Barb

Record Breaker
Did you read Lucinda Ruh´s book :cry:?, her mom was really intense, she woke her in the middle of the night to run around the neighborhood and she beat her too, Lucinda trained like maniac, every minute of her day was planned and had no time for nothing else, barely slept, when she did tour with stars on ice she was surprised find that the olympic champions didn´t trained so much like her, really her mother did a lot of sacrifices for her daugther and truly she loved her but she did some things just wrong :no:.

coppertop1

On the Ice
And I think Denise Biellmann was coached by her mother. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about this; I'm going on memory) Denise had a long career in both the eligible and pro ranks, and she maintained her skills well into her thirties. Someone was doing something right!

So I agree with you that coaching one's child can work in certain circumstances.

No, you're right. Denise was in amazing shape, I saw her as a pro! It's insane that she could still do the tricks! I don't know a lot about her mother but it obviously worked there!

If the parent knows the sport and gets along with their child it can work.

As for "stage mother" skating parents, I suspect that some people are just difficult and are control freaks. They have to run the show, whether or not they understand the factors involved. Others may feel that skating is so political, they have to keep a tight rein on everything to protect their kids. And many parents live their own dreams through their child, which is often very wearing on the child.

Yeah, they don't get that it's not their call and it can get frustrating. I remember reading that after France didn't win any medals in 1996, the French Skating association told Surya's mom to let someone else coach Surya. You can tell a parent to back off but you can't force them too. Some have accused Tara Lipinski's mom of being a stage mom, but I don't know how true that is. Mrs Lipinski has said she's tried to make sure Tara stayed grounded, and that she understands she has to work hard. I remember reading that Frank Carroll said he was getting calls from parents at 2:30 am to coach their child! That's insane!

Did you read Lucinda Ruh´s book :cry:?, her mom was really intense, she woke her in the middle of the night to run around the neighborhood and she beat her too, Lucinda trained like maniac, every minute of her day was planned and had no time for nothing else, barely slept, really her mother did a lot of sacrifices for her daugther and truly she loved her but she did some things just wrong :no:

I didn't know Lucinda had a book out! What's it called? Yikes! That is brutal!