Peter Pan | Golden Skate

Peter Pan

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Did anyone see it live last night? I forgot of course. Does anyone know when or if they will air the taping. I liked last years Sound of Music very much. It reminds me of Olympia- she liked these things. If anyone knows the repeats please post and any review appreciated. Thanks.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I watched it...well, I tried. My attention started to wane about halfway through. I can't say I really liked it, but it was an interesting novelty for a little while (I didn't see the Sound of Music last year, so I have nothing to compare it to). Christopher Walken seemed to be phoning it in, and Allison Williams is just not very charismatic. Anyway, maybe I'm just picky...give it a try.

heyang

Record Breaker
It airs again in the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area on Saturday evening.

I though Allison Williams did well. She can act and sing. I enjoyed the I Don't Want to Grow Up routine a lot.

I didn't realize Minnie Driver was adult Wendy - so, that was a nice surprise.

I liked the vibrancy of Neverland.

I didn't think 'Wendy' was charismatic enough.... but not everyone agrees with me.

I did get a little bored and didn't actually watch the whole production, but I haven't been able sit through the entire Peter Pan Disney movie either.

Overall, I thought it was produced better than last year's Sound of Music.

NBC has already decided to do a live broadcast of Music Man next year.... on WPLJ, one of the morning DJ's said that Jimmy Fallon would probably be amazing in the lead role and I have to agree!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It airs again in the NY/NJ/CT tri-state area on Saturday evening.

I though Allison Williams did well. She can act and sing. I enjoyed the I Don't Want to Grow Up routine a lot.

I didn't realize Minnie Driver was adult Wendy - so, that was a nice surprise.

I liked the vibrancy of Neverland.

I didn't think 'Wendy' was charismatic enough.... but not everyone agrees with me.

I did get a little bored and didn't actually watch the whole production, but I haven't been able sit through the entire Peter Pan Disney movie either.

Overall, I thought it was produced better than last year's Sound of Music.

NBC has already decided to do a live broadcast of Music Man next year.... on WPLJ, one of the morning DJ's said that Jimmy Fallon would probably be amazing in the lead role and I have to agree!

The nationwide "encore presentation" is on Saturday, December 13, 8 -11 pm ET -- anyone interested should check your local listings.

I generally liked the cast -- esp. the actress who played young Wendy. :)
Christopher Walken always is enjoyable to me. I too was not expecting Minnie Driver, and I agree that she was a pleasant surprise.
Allison Williams was fine, but through no fault of hers, I don't get why Peter always "must" be played by a female. (I'm aware of Mary Martin, etc., but is tradition the only reason??)

Easier said than done, I'm sure, but the flying did not look as "magical" as I would have hoped.
The suspension lines and harnesses were terribly conspicuous.

And three hours was too long ... esp. after the over-promotion. The "making of" preview special arguably was more interesting than the live spectacle itself.

Thx for mentioning Music Man. I wasn't aware. Agree that Fallon would be a good choice.

Allison Williams was fine, but through no fault of hers, I don't get why Peter always "must" be played by a female. (I'm aware of Mary Martin, etc., but is tradition the only reason??)

The role of Peter has always been played by an adult woman, going back to the original stage play in 1904. I guess this ensures that Peter will never become a man. The whole play (adapted from a novel for adults) is about Wendy's resistance to becoming a women, where men will menace her with their hooks, etc. Captain Hook is often played by the same actor as Wendy's father (Mr. Darling was Smee in this production). With Peter and the Lost Boys, Wendy gets to play at being a wife and mother without, you know, all that.

Hook, in turn, is pursued by a clock (I mean, a croc that has swallowed a clock) -- time will eventually diminish and extinguish his hookiness. And at the end of the play the adult Wendy must send her own daughter off to the inevitable adventure awaiting her in Neverneverland.

In this production I thought the dog was outstanding. He did everything perfectly and didn't look off to the side at his trainer.:rock:

Last edited:

Skategmt

On the Ice
I saw the first hour of it, and then I changed the channel because I was getting bored with it. My thoughts...

Allison Williams was good playing Peter Pan

Christopher Walkin was too old for Captain Hook, and he wasn't the best singer

They should have got a younger girl to play Wendy, the actress who played her is 21 years old and Wendy is supposed to be 12

The Song "I'm Flying" lasted a little to long for me, and there was too much singing (I know it's a musical but come on! We don't need music every second)

There were some funny mistakes that happened, like when the flying harness was pulling on the younger boy's pajamas. I thought the Sound of Music was so much better, but maybe that's because the story line its self is better.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The role of Peter has always been played by an adult woman, going back to the original stage play in 1904. I guess this ensures that Peter will never become a man. The whole play (adapted from a novel for adults) is about Wendy's resistance to becoming a women, where men will menace her with their hooks, etc. Captain Hook is often played by the same actor as Wendy's father (Mr. Darling was Smee in this production). With Peter and the Lost Boys, Wendy gets to play at being a wife and mother without, you know, all that.

Hook, in turn, is pursued by a clock (I mean, a croc that has swallowed a clock) -- time will eventually diminish and extinguish his hookiness. And at the end of the play the adult Wendy must send her own daughter off to the inevitable adventure awaiting her in Neverneverland.

In this production I thought the dog was outstanding. He did everything perfectly and didn't look off to the side at his trainer.:rock:

Thx, MM. I was/am aware that Allison W. was following in the footsteps of Mary Martin, Sandy Duncan, Cathy Rigby, and other actresses who have played Peter, but from your post :), I have learned that the tradition goes back to 1904.
Appreciate also the other bkgd. The NBC production did not hold my full attention throughout the three hrs, so some of the details of the plot had escaped me.

My "thing" is that in spite of the theme of innocence, at least the NBC version seemed to dwell a lot on unrequited feelings of Wendy the girl for Peter the boy, no?
Wendy's frequent gazing at and sighing over Peter/Allison created a weird dynamic.
Given that I as an adult was struggling to suspend my disbelief, I kept wondering how the target audience of young kids was reacting to the confusing (although traditional) casting. Young kids could not be expected to know/understand that the precedent was set over a hundred years ago.

:agree: Agree 100% re the NBC dog. :cool: :)

My "thing" is that in spite of the theme of innocence, at least the NBC version seemed to dwell a lot on unrequited feelings of Wendy the girl for Peter the boy, no?

Wendy's frequent gazing at and sighing over Peter/Allison created a weird dynamic.

I think that the early print and stage versions made a lot more of the three-way rivalry among Wendy, Tinkerbell, and Princess Tiger Lily (representing three different feminine stereotypes) for Peter's favor. Tinkerbell, after all, tries to kill Wendy out of jealousy. As time went on the story was marketed more and more for children, and they toned down that aspect. Also, I believe that the contention between Captain Hook (father) and Peter (boy friend) over Wendy was more explicitly drawn in earlier interpretations.

Skategmt said:
I saw the first hour of it, and then I changed the channel because I was getting bored with it.

It's funny how we have different expectations of different entertainment media. For a television show, the pace of this production was plodding. There was too much singing and dancing and too little getting on with the (scattered and convoluted) plot. We like our television shows fast-paced with everything neatly tied up in an hour.

A show on Broadway -- that's a different animal. Bring on the chorus line. More pirates, more Indians, more mermaids, more big production numbers and elaborate choreography. :yes:

The Disney cartoon is 77 minutes. Just right for an animated feature.

http://neverpedia.com/wiki/images/thumb/5/59/DisneyTigerLilyPeter.png/250px-DisneyTigerLilyPeter.png

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/...Nn6Ex6uPy69Eofq5oL6nc9OAV9GKWxABPQtEhor-O5BIw

Disney's version of Tinkerbell -- or is it Marilyn Monroe? ;)

http://neverpedia.com/wiki/images/thumb/5/50/TinkerBell-Disney.jpg/300px-TinkerBell-Disney.jpg

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoyed it overall, but Christopher Walken can't sing! I think Allison Williams did a good job with her part. The kids were adorable.

Thrilled that Kelly O'Hara was in it.

Nana was great. Loved the crocodile, wanted to see more of him!

Music Man for next year - woohoo! Yeah, I think Jimmy Fallon would be a good choice for that.

Last edited:

Johar

Medalist
I felt it was a bit too long. Allison Williams as Peter did a great job. I agree the actress playing was too old.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
I watched it...well, I tried. My attention started to wane about halfway through. I can't say I really liked it, but it was an interesting novelty for a little while (I didn't see the Sound of Music last year, so I have nothing to compare it to). Christopher Walken seemed to be phoning it in, and Allison Williams is just not very charismatic. Anyway, maybe I'm just picky...give it a try.

I made it 45 minutes - till the Pirate number and then I couldn't keep going. I put in a Mannix DVD instead.

Walken looked awful. Is he having health problems?