Phoenix Blades | Golden Skate

Phoenix Blades

sashavis

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Hi everyone! I'm back again with another question. Today when I went to get my blade placement adjusted, my skate tech showed me the new Phoenix blades by John Wilson. I was shocked at how light they are, and I know they are not officially out for purchase yet, but I was wondering if anyone here has heard anything else about them, or knows anyone who has tested a prototype. I'd be incredibly interested to hear more about them. I know I'll need new blades eventually, and I'm sure there will be more info on these by the time that need rolls around, but I'm simply curious. I know they'll be the top blade of their lines, so probably quite expensive, but they seem interesting. When I picked the model up in store today, it was SHOCKINGLY light. Any thoughts?

jcskates

Rinkside
Country
Canada
here's what I got from John Wilson when I asked them about this months ago:
soon we will be releasing more marketing material to distinguish between traditional, Revolution and Phoenix. Each category has it's own level of responsiveness and the Phoenix Gold will not be tapered and hollow ground unlike Gold Seals. Stay tuned as we have more informative content lined up
I'm assuming they'll create a whole line of phoenix blades from their current lineup of traditional blades.

Someone asked if the blades need a unique sharpening equipment/jig like in matrix blades and here's their response:
nope! We've designed this to have parallel datum flats for ease of maintenance!

simi

Spectator
Have you guys hear anything back about these blades? My shop ran out and other shop told the blades won’t be back for another 3 month.
My boots are already broken (can’t jump anymore) and I have new pianos just waiting to decide Phoenix or revolution.

Elija

On the Ice
Have you guys hear anything back about these blades? My shop ran out and other shop told the blades won’t be back for another 3 month.
My boots are already broken (can’t jump anymore) and I have new pianos just waiting to decide Phoenix or revolution.
Matt Redmond on YouTube did a really interesting video on them, have you seen that? I have also seen random Instagram posts here and there from people who like them, but don’t know if anyone has had them long enough yet to do an in-depth review.

simi

Spectator
Matt Redmond on YouTube did a really interesting video on them, have you seen that? I have also seen random Instagram posts here and there from people who like them, but don’t know if anyone has had them long enough yet to do an in-depth review.
Yes did see Matt’s video. He just replied, apparently great feedback:)

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Considering they're vastly different (polar opposites actually), the decision should be fairly easy if you dictate what you like to a good tech.