Plushenko is back in training! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Plushenko is back in training!

hanca

Record Breaker
I don't see what the one has to do with the other. If we all waited until we were perfect to have an opinion about anything, we would never open our mouths. The fact is that Plushenko has a far less stable chronic injury than most other skaters, and it's natural to feel concern for him whether one has a bad lifestyle oneself or not. It would be less humane to say, "I don't care what Plushenko does to himself because I'm much more worried about my own health. As soon as I give up sugar/liquor/tobacco, I'll start caring about other people. And since I'll never give up sugar/liquor/tobacco, I'll never care about anyone else." That approach doesn't really work for me.

(By the way, I don't drink or smoke or overeat, so maybe I can be permitted to express worry about a skater I admire.)

But he needs to live the life as he wants to, not as some people are telling him to do. If he wants to skate, let him skate. If he wants to compete, as long as he is good enough to be sent by his Federation, he should compete. Is it healthy? probably not, but elite skating as such is not very healthy anyway. The amount of injuries every year...but that's life. That's the unfortunate part that comes with most of elite level sports.

Look I am not saying that people should not be expressing their worry, but what I am reading on the forum goes a bit further than just expressing worry. I think that anyone who does not live the perfect super healthy lifestyle should not criticise someone else for doing something unhealthy. The pot calling the kettle black...

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Wow... is he in trouble with the Russia's mafia? How to explain?!
He is like a living character from True blood or Twilight something. Good luck to him, and as long as he skate, I will be watching in complete :eek:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
If financial troubles are at play, it's not going to be Plushenko's financial troubles--it's likely the financial troubles of Mishin and the whole St. Petersburg school. I don't know what the situation is there, but it doesn't look bright. Few elite senior students left. :no:

If it's not that, then it's likely Plush just wants to finish his career with something that's not a WD. Or he's insane and will truly keep competing forever and ever like a robovampire.

But this is all speculation. He's training for shows right now--that doesn't mean he's returning to competition.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If financial troubles are at play, it's not going to be Plushenko's financial troubles--it's likely the financial troubles of Mishin and the whole St. Petersburg school. I don't know what the situation is there, but it doesn't look bright. Few elite senior students left. :no:

If it's not that, then it's likely Plush just wants to finish his career with something that's not a WD. Or he's insane and will truly keep competing forever and ever like a robovampire.

But this is all speculation. He's training for shows right now--that doesn't mean he's returning to competition.

This might be his motivation. His exit in Sochi didn't negate his amazing career, but damn, it was a pretty unfortunate way to go out. He might feel like he needs to redeem himself given the flak he faced after leaving Russia with no representative in the men's competition for the first time in, like, ever -- on Russian ice, no less.

Alba

Record Breaker
Wow... is he in trouble with the Russia's mafia? How to explain?!

Really?! Is the Russian mafia the first thing that comes to your mind when a skater does want to continue skating?! :sarcasm:
Sorry but why would you associate him with the mafia?:unsure:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
:D If he does another competition, I worry that his body is going to break apart on the ice! It happened to him in Sochi and it certainly can happen again!
In Sochi one of the 4 screws broked in his spine. But in the last surgery, the screws have been removed. Rehabilitation is much faster than last year.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm thinking this is pretty ridiculous. How many more years do we have to read about this, listen to it, comment on it. It's time! Move on.

hanca

Record Breaker
I'm thinking this is pretty ridiculous. How many more years do we have to read about this, listen to it, comment on it. It's time! Move on.

Maybe we shouldd move on from the commenting on his actions/reading about it and let him do whatever he wants to! :p

Amei

Record Breaker
My feelings are that he is a grown man and if he wants to cripple himself then that's between himself and his wife. My only hope is that the federation learned from the Olympics that any kind of Olympic/Worlds, etc. teams should be based mainly off the current season results, not some special closed door performance - especially if a skater has missed numerous competitions due to injuries.

Amei

Record Breaker
When? In ECH 2013...and ?

Pulled from Wikipedia:
2013 Rostelecom Cup - Withdrew after the short due to injury
2013 Euros - Withdrew after the short due to injury
Missed 2012 Worlds due to needing surgery

Looking at the last 2 years of Plushenko competing, it appears to me that the surgeries he's getting are not fixing the problem, it's only temporarily holding things together. It was a big gamble to choose him for the Olympic team when they only had 1 spot and Plushenko's recent history shows that his body just isn't holding up.

LRK

Record Breaker
Here's a newsclip from Plushy's first day on ice - originally posted by galiavich in the Plushy fan thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJIMzVjfiPM

I'm reposting here primarily in the selfish hope that some kind person will translate what Plushy is saying. (Apparently all of us Plushy fan thread regulars are non-Russians... )

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Pulled from Wikipedia:
2013 Rostelecom Cup - Withdrew after the short due to injury
2013 Euros - Withdrew after the short due to injury
Missed 2012 Worlds due to needing surgery

Looking at the last 2 years of Plushenko competing, it appears to me that the surgeries he's getting are not fixing the problem, it's only temporarily holding things together. It was a big gamble to choose him for the Olympic team when they only had 1 spot and Plushenko's recent history shows that his body just isn't holding up.

I don't need wikipedia

2013 Rostelecom Cup. He wasn't there. He simply wasn't ready for the competition. The wikipedia is incorrect.
2012. Yes, he wasn't there he had surgery but his name wasn't on the WCH list.
2012 is right as I wrote.