Pogorilaya ends season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pogorilaya ends season

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Oh Anna... get well soon. Too many injuries this season.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
She needs a major overhaul, from technique to coaching situation. I think 2-3 years to rebuild and recuperate and she might challenge for a medal again.

She doesn't have enough time. Just no way. In the 2019-2020 season the most talented Russian junior crop ever will be senior eligible and I just don't see a world where Pogorilaya can make something happen at that point. Really, the next season is the only realistic opportunity she has left.

Amei

Record Breaker
Didn't Yulia retire at 20? Adelina also is at that age. Anna is getting kind of "long in the tooth" by Russian standards. I mean isn't Evgenia considered senior. Already Alina is getting pushed out the door slowly by up and coming juniors. how sad you are over the hill before you get out of highschool?!?!?! Sarcasm with some truth. i really found Anna far more interesting than Maria but life is cruel or rather skating is cruel. I hope she gets better but this sounds kind of Angelina Krylovaisq.

I don't really count Adelina though in the bunch - she barely competed after the Olympics, like most OGMs I feel she didn't regain her desire for competition after winning.

As far as Anna's back injury - watching that girl fall makes my back hurt.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Unfortunate news - another skater out with an injury.

This makes the Russian Olympic team for ladies much clearer - likely, Medvedeva, Zagitova, and Sotskova.

I'm not sure if Anna would want to return to skating in a field where the Russian juniors are doing very difficult jump content and are ultra-competitive. But I'll support her if skating still makes her happy. I would understand if she wanted to focus on something else.

DorYiu

Let’s go crazy
On the Ice
:( sad news... the moment I read this thread title, the memory of her falling on her back at Skate Canada come up again, that’s really heartbreaking end of her season.

I wish her speedy recovery and come back next season.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Didn't Yulia retire at 20? Adelina also is at that age. Anna is getting kind of "long in the tooth" by Russian standards. I mean isn't Evgenia considered senior. Already Alina is getting pushed out the door slowly by up and coming juniors. how sad you are over the hill before you get out of highschool?!?!?! Sarcasm with some truth. i really found Anna far more interesting than Maria but life is cruel or rather skating is cruel. I hope she gets better but this sounds kind of Angelina Krylovaisq.
Yulia isn't 20 yet. She retired at 18.

tyrion14

Spectator
Maybe Anna can pull a Tuktamysheva and come back strong next season.

Even when Anna was healthy, she was always in the 3rd spot behind Zhenya/Elena and Zhenya/Masha. Now that Masha has gotten more consistent and Polina/Alina are in the mix it would be very hard for Anna to even make it to Worlds or even GPF.

musicfan80

Medalist
She needs a major overhaul, from technique to coaching situation. I think 2-3 years to rebuild and recuperate and she might challenge for a medal again.

Maybe Anna can pull a Tuktamysheva and come back strong next season.

I wish the best for Anna and what skating she wants to do in the future. But I'm pretty sure that back injuries tend to end up being chronic, especially if they involve the disks/vertebrae. :(

evasorange

Final Flight
What a shame! When Anna is "on" I find her to be much better artist then Maria, stronger more powerful jumps then Evegenia, and a more engaging on ice presence then all of the Russian girls combined. So sad she was never able to pull it together to be Russian number 1.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm really sad to hear this.

When she was on, she was spectacular. Of course, when she was off... well, there was no half-way.

The pressure to even make the Russian team must be immense.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I loved her skating, and am so sorry to hear this news. I just hopes her back heals completely. Please be well and happy, Anna :cry:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
No one would ever wish this on any athlete. Anna seems lovely, and I hope she can return to her full potential, soon.