Quad pain in landing leg during off-ice jumps | Golden Skate

Quad pain in landing leg during off-ice jumps

corgisfirst

Spectator
Hello! Over the past few months, I've been trying to learn all my single jumps off the ice. I thought if I were to encounter any pain in my landing leg that it would be in my hip, knee, ankle, etc...but I'm actually having reccuring pain in my quad muscles! Any contraction of my quad - both jumping off and landing - makes my upper quad muscles ache. It can take a week or more for the pain to go away completely, but usually within the next day or two of jumping they will hurt again :(.

I cannot tell if I'm continually pulling these muscles or if it's just soreness. The fact that it takes 1 week+ to heal makes me think I'm pulling the muscles again and again :con3:. Has anyone encountered this, especially during off-ice jumps? I don't have a lot to compare it to on the ice since I've only ever done a questionable waltz jump on the ice :eek:hwell:.

Thanks in advance!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! Over the past few months, I've been trying to learn all my single jumps off the ice. I thought if I were to encounter any pain in my landing leg that it would be in my hip, knee, ankle, etc...but I'm actually having reccuring pain in my quad muscles! Any contraction of my quad - both jumping off and landing - makes my upper quad muscles ache. It can take a week or more for the pain to go away completely, but usually within the next day or two of jumping they will hurt again :(.

I cannot tell if I'm continually pulling these muscles or if it's just soreness. The fact that it takes 1 week+ to heal makes me think I'm pulling the muscles again and again :con3:. Has anyone encountered this, especially during off-ice jumps? I don't have a lot to compare it to on the ice since I've only ever done a questionable waltz jump on the ice :eek:hwell:.

Thanks in advance!

Have you been properly taught technique to be doing these specific jumps off-ice? If not, stop and stop now, you are just doing damage to yourself. Also, please consult a doctor for your (possible) injury.

corgisfirst

Spectator
Have you been properly taught technique to be doing these specific jumps off-ice? If not, stop and stop now, you are just doing damage to yourself. Also, please consult a doctor for your (possible) injury.

Not with a coach in-person, only by attending online jump classes that various coaches have offered to the public :/. You're right, I really should wait till I can start with a coach in-person. There's no sense in injuring myself now before even getting back on the ice.

Elija

On the Ice
Not having proper technique could definitely be the issue. Also, do you warm up properly and wear proper footwear when doing off ice jumps? Wearing the wrong shoes/no shoes on a hard surface or not warming your muscles up before jumping is a recipe for injury.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Not with a coach in-person, only by attending online jump classes that various coaches have offered to the public :/. You're right, I really should wait till I can start with a coach in-person. There's no sense in injuring myself now before even getting back on the ice.

Never do anything without having been properly taught by a certified coach. Also, please get checked by a doctor, that pain should not be happening and I fear you have already injured yourself.

corgisfirst

Spectator
Not having proper technique could definitely be the issue. Also, do you warm up properly and wear proper footwear when doing off ice jumps? Wearing the wrong shoes/no shoes on a hard surface or not warming your muscles up before jumping is a recipe for injury.

I do warm up a lot, but it's funny you mention shoes because I realized today how old my shoes are and that I need new ones. I think this has something to do with it, in addition to not having the right technique.

corgisfirst

Spectator
Never do anything without having been properly taught by a certified coach. Also, please get checked by a doctor, that pain should not be happening and I fear you have already injured yourself.

Thank you, I'm going to get it checked out.