question on buying new skates!!! | Golden Skate

question on buying new skates!!!

amyskater

Spectator
Sorry if this post ends up in the wrong place, i’ve only registered 2 mins ago😂

Hi everyone! As you can tell from the title i need LOTS of advice on buying new skates. The last skates i’ve worn (still wear them!) were Edea Chorus and i’ve had them for the past year. i’ve landed some doubles- double loop double salchow and double flip- i can’t get my double toe yet or my double lutz because i can’t get on the outside edge😂 I can’t wear my Chorus anymore because i’ve totally outgrown them. I don’t know how other skaters around the world measure their boots, but where i live my skates are a size 245 and i’m a 260, no wonder i’ve been in pain

I had went to the ice skating shop (inside the arena) where they sell skates. I’ve had a look at ridells and tried on 435 bronze star. Never in my life had i been so desperate to take off a skate. I guess this was a results from always wearing Edea skates and i wasn’t used to not having as much padding and comfort. My parents said i had a budget of £450 which is a lot of money. I thought i could manage to buy Ice Flys with John Wilson’s Corination Ace blades. I was £100 off my budget with that😂

The shopkeeper decided to make a deal with me. He couldn’t bring down the price in the flys but he offered his last PIANO SKATES for £450- £100 cheaper than Ice Flys- they were the same size and everything! He had been trying to sell them but no one had bought them because of their price and as well that someone in our rink bought them and threw them across a room because they didn’t like them. No one wanted to buy them after that because they thought they weren’t good. When I tried them on my feet the slipped right in and felt so comfy for a pair of new skates.

But i shouldn’t have them. The Pianos are designed for triples and quads and I can’t even land all my doubles. I realised because they’re so stiff i might not be able to skate in them and a lot of people would talk behind my back that i am not good enough for those skates. I can either buy another Chorus or i can get the Pianos, definitely not Ridells😂.

Can anyone please give me advice on what to buy? thank you!!

jf12

Final Flight
Some people do doubles in the Piano. However, if you’re still at the stage where you’re outgrowing a pair of boots in a year, before you break them down, it’s probably best to stick with the chorus. What happens if you get used to them, grow out of them in another year and there isn’t another discounted pair to buy?

treesprite

Final Flight
Some people do doubles in the Piano. However, if you’re still at the stage where you’re outgrowing a pair of boots in a year, before you break them down, it’s probably best to stick with the chorus. What happens if you get used to them, grow out of them in another year and there isn’t another discounted pair to buy?

What jf12 said is a good enough point to be a decision-maker, if there will be an issue with money next time. It would be difficult to downgrade boot stiffness even if you would be ok with less stiffness. I use boots intended for triple jumps and will probably never do more than singles in them, but I am so used to super stiff skates that anything less feels scary.