Recommendations for first pair of skates? | Golden Skate

Recommendations for first pair of skates?

angielol6

Spectator
Hiii!!! I'm new to the figure skating world and I have just started group classes at my local rink. Once I finish this course (ISI pre-alpha) I plan to buy my first pair of skates. I am 19, 5'2 (~157cm), 140 lbs (63.5 kg). I would like to get to the point of doing jumps and I am a super fast learner as I am already doing some spins and hops.

I prefer a good amount of ankle support. I have a Greek foot shape and wide feet. I also have extremely high arches.

I am a college student so the price needs to be reasonable (under 200 preferably). Any recommendations are appreciated! My rink has a pro shop so I will be visiting while keeping in mind any recommendations! Thank you :)

silverlily1

On the Ice
I'm sorry, but I don't think anything in that price range is going to be the right fit for your body and skill level. You need a certain stiffness level in the boots for your skills and that increases when you weigh more than a child, because your weight affects how much your body can bend the boots. The softer, cheaper boots will degrade far too quickly, and I know firsthand what skating on the wrong boots can do - I broke two bones in my ankle due to lack of support, took a 10-year break from skating, and just bought new skates again due to a skate tech fitting me poorly a year ago and an increase in my skill level making that problem even worse.

I'm sure more experienced people will chime in soon, but I suspect you'll need something like a Jackson Freestyle ($350-400-ish). Maybe for Christmas ask for help towards a skate purchase?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hiii!!! I'm new to the figure skating world and I have just started group classes at my local rink. Once I finish this course (ISI pre-alpha) I plan to buy my first pair of skates. I am 19, 5'2 (~157cm), 140 lbs (63.5 kg). I would like to get to the point of doing jumps and I am a super fast learner as I am already doing some spins and hops.

I prefer a good amount of ankle support. I have a Greek foot shape and wide feet. I also have extremely high arches.

I am a college student so the price needs to be reasonable (under 200 preferably). Any recommendations are appreciated! My rink has a pro shop so I will be visiting while keeping in mind any recommendations! Thank you :)
Hi and welcome. I'm going to be up front with you here. You are going to need either a Jackson or a Risport and the styles you need of boot (blade separate) are going to be well over your price point. The styles I would recommend would be RF3 Pro or Royal Pro (try both, they fit different)--Risport is going to be good for very high arches (I have the same brand and have worn and competed/skated pro in them for years), and the two styles I recommended are stiff enough for your needs and stats. Or Jackson-you might be able to get away with a Debut but more than likely will need more like they Synergy Elite.

You will need to pair whatever boot you are looking at with a good intermediate blade: MK Pro, John Wilson Coronation Ace.

Good luck!

victoria7988

Spectator
Unfortunately, a good blade alone is going to run you around $250-300. I recommend the same blades a previous reply said (MK Pro, Coronation Ace, but also the Legacy blades made by Jackson, which can be around $50 cheaper than the rest). From what I have read, Jackson blades seem to be hit or miss with the higher-level skaters, but all the intermediate skaters at my rink love them, me included.

The boots you'll need will likely be around this price point as well. As a Collegiate skater, I know how tough money can be, but I can assure you, that investing in a good pair of boots/blades is so much better than skimping and having to deal with an injury or having the boot break down after just a few months, leaving you needing to re-purchase.

If your Pro-Shop is anything like mine, they may recommend the Jackson Mystique or Artiste. God forbid they do, but please turn these options down SO FAST. These skates are within your budget but are made for children. They are not designed for adult skaters, let alone those who want to jump. They will break down within a month and offer you no ankle support. I know the deal sounds good, boots and blades for under $200 but it's just not worth it.

Off-topic, but see if your university has a figure skating club or class! I am part of the PE class, club, and competitive team at my university and it's the best thing I've ever done. So many awesome people who share the same interests as you. I can't speak for every collegiate club out there, but in my club, we have people who are just barely learning how to stroke across the ice. I've also seen some competitors at the competition who are competing with 2-foot spins. You are never too low of a level to join a club or PE class (competition teams are a different story and vary depending on your university).