Recommended beginner skates for 80kg adult skater | Golden Skate

Recommended beginner skates for 80kg adult skater

cpt.plague

Spectator
Hello wonderful people of this forum.
I am a 17 year old guy who weighs around 75-80kg and I've been wanting to start figure skating! I previously roller skated and enjoyed a pair of Edea Rondos.
Slight problem I am facing, I don't believe I have a pro shop anywhere around me. I've tried contacting the two rinks closest to me (30 mins away and an hour and a half away) and both said they don't offer skates.
So I have been starting to look at online places. So far I've seen the Edea Overtures and the Risport Antares reccomended for semi beginner skaters who want to get their singles.
I will be training alone for the next year, so I dont expect to be more than an hour of ice time per week.
I want to try and get my singles on ice, but don't want to spend an obscene amount of money on something I'm not too sure I can continue passionately.
Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello wonderful people of this forum.
I am a 17 year old guy who weighs around 75-80kg and I've been wanting to start figure skating! I previously roller skated and enjoyed a pair of Edea Rondos.
Slight problem I am facing, I don't believe I have a pro shop anywhere around me. I've tried contacting the two rinks closest to me (30 mins away and an hour and a half away) and both said they don't offer skates.
So I have been starting to look at online places. So far I've seen the Edea Overtures and the Risport Antares reccomended for semi beginner skaters who want to get their singles.
I will be training alone for the next year, so I dont expect to be more than an hour of ice time per week.
I want to try and get my singles on ice, but don't want to spend an obscene amount of money on something I'm not too sure I can continue passionately.
Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated!
Hi and welcome. There is alot to unpack here so please bear with me while I try to address your concerns and questions one by one.

First of all if you are 80kg male you need a stiffer boot than is recommended for beginners, or they won't be able to hold you and you risk injury.
Weight is not the only thing that would be needed for a proper fit. Foot shape, arch height (none, low, normal, high, extra high), are others.
You really need a fitter and if you let us know about where you are in the world, we can help find one.

And last but not least, please DO NOT try to teach yourself, you will not learn proper technique and risk injury. Don't even consider teaching yourself to jump. You need a coach.

Good luck!

Last edited:

cpt.plague

Spectator
Hi and welcome. There is alot to unpack here so please bear with me while I try to address your concerns and questions one by one.

First of all if you are 80kg male you need a stiffer boot than is recommended for beginners, or they won't be able to hold you and you risk injury.
Weight is not the only thing that would be needed for a proper fit. Foot shape, arch height (none, low, normal, high, extra high), are others.
You really need a fitter and if you let us know about where you are in the world, we can help find out.

And last but not least, please DO NOT try to teach yourself, you will not learn proper technique and risk injury. Don't even consider teaching yourself to jump. You need a coach.

Good luck!
ah, thanks! i live in Israel, if you know of anyone.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
ah, thanks! i live in Israel, if you know of anyone.
There used to be a skate shop (or at least, a sporting goods store that sold skates, with a knowledgeable fitter) in Jerusalem, but it may not be there anymore. A Scottish friend of mine had a shop selling modest covered-up athletic clothing for women and girls, and was selling leggings and catsuits to skaters. A customer persuaded her to buy skates (Grafs) herself and take lessons. However, she returned to Scotland about ten years ago so I don't know if that skate shop still exists or what its name was. But there was one. (Oh, that was a big help, wasn't it :slink:) Good luck!

leia1979

Rinkside
Were you actually fitted for the Edea Rondos? Edea and Risport both make artistic roller boots and ice boots, and if Edea fits your feet well, you could probably stay with Edea. But for ice, you need to go quite a bit stiffer because you don't have the lateral support of four wheels. The fit and shape of Edea vs Risport are very different.

However, I definitely agree with finding a coach somehow. Bad habits are hard to un-learn.