Rippon: "I take full responsibility" | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rippon: "I take full responsibility"

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I was shock as well, when I heard Tara said during Adam’s SP: Adam said US national is his coronation.
But if you know Adam and follow Adam, you know he is the drama Queen, and its just his character, it kind of make me laugh (in a good way), he is just not the humble type.
I actually admire him saying he is 100% responsible of the outcome, and he agree that’s a bad skate that put him behind Vincent and Ross.

Tbh I took the term "coronation" as in a coronation of a great season so far, not to say that he was going to be king, nothing majorly arrogant.

I love his FS this season, and I genuinely do think he just had one bad skate - contrarily to Ashley's bad season. His SP 2 days ago was wonderful. I hope they pick him, but we shall see. Also, Vincent's PCS are a joke. Quads =\= artistry.

Weathergal

Medalist
Tbh I took the term "coronation" as in a coronation of a great season so far, not to say that he was going to be king, nothing majorly arrogant.

I love his FS this season, and I genuinely do think he just had one bad skate - contrarily to Ashley's bad season. His SP 2 days ago was wonderful. I hope they pick him, but we shall see. Also, Vincent's PCS are a joke. Quads =\= artistry.

I regret that I only have but one thumbs up to give this post.

Maribelle

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Rippon popped 2 jumps, did not perform well under pressure. His talk was bigger than his skating. Jason Brown seems more humble. Which skater they send can be the best back up to Chen in the team competition? They should look at consistency and the highest scores posted. I am not sure who that is.

moriel

Record Breaker
Rippon popped 2 jumps, did not perform well under pressure. His talk was bigger than his skating. Jason Brown seems more humble. Which skater they send can be the best back up to Chen in the team competition? They should look at consistency and the highest scores posted. I am not sure who that is.

nobody can, really.
Out of the current group, i would say Adam is the most reliable as a backup for Nathan.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have a wonderful idea to deal with this problem: all figure skaters must give their voice to Ursula the sea witch as soon as they hit the Senior Circuit, and they can only get it back when they legitimately retire from the sport.

Oh wait, then this forum will die off, because we won’t have much to gripe about. :confused2:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
“my mentality going into San Jose is this is just going to be my coronation” - A very self affirming positive mindset to have but not to announce.

“the only argument is if other competitor’s mothers are on the selection team.” - A very negative mindset indicating insecurity and need to tear down others to boost himself. The focus should be on himself.

Announcement of both is negative and comes across as hubris inviting karma in both results and reactions.

qwertyskates

Medalist
“my mentality going into San Jose is this is just going to be my coronation” - A very motivating positive mindset to have but not to announce.

“the only argument is if other competitor’s mothers are on the selection team.” - A very negative mindset indicating insecurity and need to tear down others to boost himself. The focus should be on himself.

Announcement of both is negative and comes across as hubris inviting karma in both results and reactions.

Yet he bumped the silver medalist off the team...:palmf:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
“the only argument is if other competitor’s mothers are on the selection team.” - I wonder which competitor has multiple mothers? :think: Fortunately for Adam, evidently they are not on the selection team.

(I know I know, it's the writer who chose where to put the apostrophe.)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Boy the last two Nationals in Olympic years were not kind to either Adam or Ashley. I think in both years they were both a little to cocky and paid the price for it but both got bailed out once and got to live their Olympic dream even though neither of them made the podium. Amazing.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
“my mentality going into San Jose is this is just going to be my coronation” - A very self affirming positive mindset to have but not to announce.

It was sarcastic you know. But now ... oh irony ... he gets Ashley'ed and Ross gets Nagasu'd or maybe Miner'd.

jaylee

Medalist
Boy the last two Nationals in Olympic years were not kind to either Adam or Ashley. I think in both years they were both a little to cocky and paid the price for it but both got bailed out once and got to live their Olympic dream even though neither of them made the podium. Amazing.

I feel like the USFSA is sending the wrong message to US figure skaters. Yes, exceptions should be made for extremely rare and unusual circumstances, i.e. an injury prevents an Olympic contender from performing their best at Nationals (i.e. Kerrigan in 1994 and Michelle Kwan in 2006).

The message the USFSA thinks it's sending: "Every competition counts, so be consistent at all of your important competitions."
The message the USFSA is actually sending: "Try to be consistent at all of the competitions so that if you mess up at a really important one, we'll be able to save you--if you are one of our 'favorites'."

Barring unusual and exceptional circumstances, i.e. a serious injury to a world medalist, that keeps them from performing their best at the Nationals prior to the Olympics, I see no reason why standards have to be compromised for skaters who delivered in lower pressure competitions but fail to deliver at the big ones. You want to go to the Olympics? Get in the top 2 or 3 at Nationals. Period.

Nathan Chen did not deliver a perfect performance (by his standards) but he delivered well enough to get the job done. He didn't meltdown. He is the only man who deserved a 'bye' if necessary, but he proved he didn't need it. That makes me hopeful for his Olympic medal chances.

I agreed with sending Nancy Kerrigan to the Olympics in 1994, with sending Michelle Kwan in 2006, and yes, I agreed with sending Ashley Wagner in 2014. But unfortunately, naming Ashley to the team and overlooking her poor Nationals performance -- which had no injury reason, but instead was purely due to her not being able to hold it together under pressure -- set a poor precedent. I am not a fan of setting the expectation that skaters may be given a lifeline if they choke. That's not a championship mentality. Skaters need to learn to deliver under pressure without the hope that they're getting bailed out due to favoritism.

Icey

Record Breaker
Adam and Ashely ought to record a duet: I'm Furious and I'm Cuter. Wouldn't that be cute?:laugh2: