above. Now ehter are athletes and coaches, who work with them. The other
issue is that the majority of coaches are pension-age, but the athletes are
very young. It's necessary to find a worthy replacement of such a
distinguished generation of coaches and it will be very difficult. You
cannot realistically make a conveyor of persons. Probalby we wouldn't be so
worried if we knew that there were new young talents coming up. but
unfortunately, today, we don't see much potential." - Irina Rodnina

Maureen ADDS:
In addition, Rodnina criticized Moskvina for teaming Kawaguchi with Smirnov.
"Such a beautiful Russian man should have a Russian partner"... but
"probably Japanese parents pay more for lessons" than Russians could. She
also was pessimistic about Kawaguchi's chance to attain citizenship in time
for Vancouver, "unless she gets married... What's a girl to do?"

BTW, Rodnina is head of a group called "Athletic Russia". It's an NGO, but
intimately connected with Putin's parties. For example, I read in "Gala"
magazine where she said "we gave Sikharulidze" to the United Russia party
and he got the spot on city council. In return for athletes who enter
government, there should be guarantees of government support for sport that
will be lasting after Putin leaves presidency....

Piseev Responds to Rodnina's Comments
24 April
"What else can you expect from Rodnina? One gets the impression that Irina
Konstantinova just was counting down the days for this moment. First she
left for the USA and for some reason thought that without her, our figure
skating would fall apart immediately. It didn't. We held the leadership for
decades. I believe that in coming years we'll return to the pedastal - after
all, Russia has a wonderful school of coaches.

"It's upsetting to me when our coaches here unfair accusations from
Rodnina's lips. In her latest attacks, she even didn't avoid criticizing
Stanislav Zhuk and Tatiana Tarasova. She is trying to make a wedge between
the coaches and federation leadership. I can assure Irina Konstantinova that
it won't work.

"Yes, and she even knows it herself. I respect Irina as a wonderful figure
skating. But sometimes I feel pity for her, really. Her attempts at
administrative, organizational and leadership careers failed. Whatever she
tried, wherever she went, practically nothing ever worked. So how has she
helped this sport? She is just trying to attract publicity for herself
through provocative statemetns. But I am used to them. Yoiu can't expect
anything else from Rodnina. I feel a condescending irony toward many of her
actions."
- Valentin Piseev

Thanks for the interesting post. Sounds like Rosie O'Donnell and Donald Trump, LOL. IMHO Piseev should have taken the high road and not responded.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the translation! I would be eager to hear what Rodnina has said about Tarasova...

layman

On the Ice
Rodnina's comments about Kawaguchi sound racist to me. Does she think she's not good enough to skate with the "beautiful russian man" because she's Japanese?

nymkfan51

Medalist
Rodnina's comments about Kawaguchi sound racist to me. Does she think she's not good enough to skate with the "beautiful russian man" because she's Japanese?

My guess (since I have no knowledge of exactly what Rodnina meant) is that her thinking was "why have to go to another country to find someone to skate with this "beautiful Russian man", when we could place him with someone from our own country."

Rodnina certainly cares about the Russian leadership of figure skating and while she seems to be pointing the finger at Piseev, she is also challenging his successor if one comes about. I don't think she is looking for the job, but I am not sure of that.

Piseev in his response, does not defend his recent role in Russian figure skating but turns on Rodnina exclusively.

The Soviet system which culminated in Torino was based on the best possible sportspeople. The State would take care of them and that is why they could get some very talented students from the working class who did not have much in the way of financial support.

They should ask, how do the Americans run their shop?, and try to emulate it in a Russian manner. The USFS does not have scouts like pro team sports do. They rely on coaches who recognize talent and make adjustments in their fees. They may even know of corporations who would sponsor a talented student. Figure Skating is a damn expensive sport and all those frilly costumes one sees in competitions are, imo, a waste of money. However, I believe Russia has to consider these things and start building a first rate Federation. If the Russian coaches are looking for big bucks, they have to come to Amercia. The Federation could begin to train new and equally as good as its former coaches.

Joe

layman

On the Ice
My guess (since I have no knowledge of exactly what Rodnina meant) is that her thinking was "why have to go to another country to find someone to skate with this "beautiful Russian man", when we could place him with someone from our own country."

I am of the opinion that Tamara Moskvina knew what she was doing when she teamed Kawaguchi with Smirnov. She obviously made her decision based on ability rather than race, culture or nationality.

I am of the opinion that Tamara Moskvina knew what she was doing when she teamed Kawaguchi with Smirnov. She obviously made her decision based on ability rather than race, culture or nationality.
That is Moskvina, but was Rodnina driving home the pride of Russia? I do know that Japan will not give Kawaguchi duel citizenship and so Olys are out of the question unless she drops Japanese citizenship. I believe she does not want to.

Joe

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Maureen ADDS:
In addition, Rodnina criticized Moskvina for teaming Kawaguchi with Smirnov.
"Such a beautiful Russian man should have a Russian partner"... but
"probably Japanese parents pay more for lessons" than Russians could. She
also was pessimistic about Kawaguchi's chance to attain citizenship in time
for Vancouver, "unless she gets married... What's a girl to do?"

I find things Rodnina said about Yuko-chan, inappropriate. I don't care much about Smirnov's looks (not my cup of tea), but I do think Yuko is an extremely cute girl:
http://pics1.rfn.ru/b_27638.jpg

And what is more important, Yuko works hard. The progress the couple's made in such a short time, is amazing. They actually can win something big next season.

Yuko speaks Russian, is a full-time college student, and she practices hrs a day. Besides, she seems like a really nice girl. Not a diva, not an ice princess, but really nice.

I don't understand why Rodnina doesn't recognize all these qualities, since these are the qualities of a champion. Rodnina has been there herself.

SugarCranberry

Rinkside
Thanks for the interesting post. Sounds like Rosie O'Donnell and Donald Trump, LOL. IMHO Piseev should have taken the high road and not responded.

He has responded already...

http://www.allsport.ru/archive.php?id=5709&s_s=106&s_d=26&s_m=4&s_y=2007&b=0&l=20

Valentin Piseev: What else to expect from Rodnina ?

Lately the legendary Soviet figure skater, three times Olympic champion, multiple times USSR, European, and World champion Irina Rodnina has been keeping critiquing the result of Russian team and the work of the Russian Figure Skating Federation. The Agency of Sport Information (“All Sports”) asked the president of federation Valentin Piseev to comment this.

“What else can you expect from Rodnina?” said Piseev. “I have the impression she’s been counting the days for this moment. First she went to USA and thought our figure skating will disappear without her. But it survived and we were holding the lead for many years. I believe we will return to the podium in the next few years – Russia still has a very good coaching school. I am upset when Rodnina very unfairly blames our coaches.
She does not mercy anyone. She even has not avoided to critique her coaches Stanislav Zhuk and Tatiana Tarasova who helped her to become three times Olympic champion.
Can you name anybody who Rodnina has talked kindly about during all this years?
Now she is trying to create confrontation between the coaches and the federation. I can assure Irina Konstantinovna she is not going to succeed. And she knows it. I respect Irina as an outstanding athlete. However sometimes I feel sorry for her. She is a bureaucrat whose career of sport administrator failed. It is obvious now. Almost everything she started has failed. How did she help her sport? Once she tried to promote her friend to the head coach position. He was not very professional, but used to drink a lot. However Vyacheslav Fetisov caught the situation in time and did not let it happen.
May be Irina Konstantinovna is so nervous because she is not doing very well, and trying to grab public attention with her loud critique. But everybody is used to it. No one expects anything different from Rodnina, and treat her actions with the light irony

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Some of it is the same kind of discontent that many feel over Belbin/ Agosto pairing - why couldn't Shpilband find an American girl for Ben! This is multiplied by issues of national pride in arguably the deepest pair skating tradition in the world.
Thanks for the translation! I would be eager to hear what Rodnina has said about Tarasova...
I can't find anything there. Then again, Rodnina was always of the opinion that she learned everything from Zhuk, and that Tarasova just provided choreography and filled the spot of the coach. Much as I dislike Rodnina, I think this is a fair assessment, as Rodnina/ Zaitsev never displayed any of the qualities of TT's teams.

It's interesting that Rodnina has also been extremely critical of skaters' participation in Stars on Ice TV project - hasn't life in America taught her anything?!

Also, just compare how Rodnina and Tarasova talk about Plushenko's come back. Essentially, they are of the same opinion about it - they don't believe it will happen. However, whereas Tarasova says that if it does happen she will stand up and cheer for him no matter where he places, Rodnina talks about how this is just a cheap publicity stunt.

Last edited:

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Thanks to both maureend and SugarCranberry for their respective translations, and a special thanks to Ptichka for the additional insights, especially that last paragraph's. I am gratified to read that Tatyana Anatolyevna has said that "if it does happen she will stand up and cheer for him no matter where he places". I find this attitude most admirable. :)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I can't find anything there. Then again, Rodnina was always of the opinion that she learned everything from Zhuk, and that Tarasova just provided choreography and filled the spot of the coach. Much as I dislike Rodnina, I think this is a fair assessment, as Rodnina/ Zaitsev never displayed any of the qualities of TT's teams.
Tarasova is not a technical coach, and Rodnina and Zaitsev were already fully formed technically, so I wouldn't expect R/Z to have learned technique from her. However good Tarasova's choreography, there's not much she could do with a skater who didn't want to change a very fixed personality on the ice. Rodnina did her thing, regardless of the choreography.

It's interesting that Rodnina has also been extremely critical of skaters' participation in Stars on Ice TV project - hasn't life in America taught her anything?!
In interviews, she never sounded terribly happy about living in the US, and was further embittered -- like she needed help there -- when she was forced to stay in the US for over a decade because her ex-husband would not allow their daughter to return to Russia with her as a minor.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
In interviews, she never sounded terribly happy about living in the US, and was further embittered -- like she needed help there -- when she was forced to stay in the US for over a decade because her ex-husband would not allow their daughter to return to Russia with her as a minor.
Yeah, I always got a kick out of that one - no normal father would allow his daughter to move halfway around the world, to a very unstable country no less.