2024-25 Rhythm Dance theme | Golden Skate

2024-25 Rhythm Dance theme

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
At the Korean Ranking Competition, Hannah Lim and Ye Quan reported to the media? that the theme for next year's rhythm dance (unofficially) will be "movie". This is a recording of a Korean fan in the mixed zone as Hannah and Ye were giving an interview

Translation of the Korean: "I found the recording!! (Talking about the next season's program) Hannah: The theme of Rhythm is movie, but movie is too vague (vague, broad)."
Obviously this has not been finalized by the Ice Dance Technical Committee, but it looks like we have a rough idea as to what next season's rhythm dances will look like as has been reported to the skaters. I wonder if they will specify further later on in the season, or if it will stay intentionally broad to encourage more diversity in the programs. Thoughts? Do you think this will change? Do you prefer it over the current theme? And what are your dream movie music programs?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Movie? Hmmmmm. What if it a musical that was turned into a movie? Would Rent or Mamma Mia work? Would music from a "so-bad-it's-good" movie work? Does that mean some groups might excuse this for a reason to go for POTO or R+J? Will we see people dress up as characters from Harry Potter or Star Wars?

This year's currently theme is cool, though I've been incredibly disappointed in the severe lacking of New Kids on the Block songs.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Movie? Hmmmmm. What if it a musical that was turned into a movie? Would Rent or Mamma Mia work? Would music from a "so-bad-it's-good" movie work? Does that mean some groups might excuse this for a reason to go for POTO or R+J? Will we see people dress up as characters from Harry Potter or Star Wars?

This year's currently theme is cool, though I've been incredibly disappointed in the severe lacking of New Kids on the Block songs.
I hear you on NKOTB, but I would have just liked teams to broadly embrace 80's music, not just the same 4 hard rock songs and Queen. :angry:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hear you on NKOTB, but I would have just liked teams to broadly embrace 80's music. not just the same 4 hard rock songs and queen. :angry:
It would have been more creative at least. I've seen quite a bit of programs with 80's theme.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It would have been more creative at least. I've seen quite a bit of programs with 80's theme.
I didn't say they aren't 80's themed: If they weren't they would have disqualified the team. What I'm saying is (and I never thought I would say this): If I have to hear "Pour Some Sugar on Me", "Still Loving You", "Rock You Like a Hurricane" and any Queen songs multiple times in a RD competition again, I might have to rip my ears off.

80's was one of the best decades for music and most teams flushed the concept down the proverbial toilet.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't say they aren't 80's themed: If they weren't they would have disqualified the team. What I'm saying is (and I never thought I would say this): If I have to hear "Pour Some Sugar on Me", "Still Loving You", "Rock You Like a Hurricane" and any Queen songs multiple times in a RD competition again, I might have to rip my ears off.

80's was one of the best decades for music and most teams flushed the concept down the proverbial toilet.
Apologies if I made you annoyed. I meant of the typical 80's theme. Bright colors and music that had 80's vibe.

Maybe I'm not personally annoyed with the rock-ish music is that I like rock/styles similar to rock music. But I can understand if one weren't into those styles, they would get annoyed.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Apologies if I made you annoyed. I meant of the typical 80's theme. Bright colors and music that had 80's vibe.

Maybe I'm not personally annoyed with the rock-ish music is that I like rock/styles similar to rock music. But I can understand if one weren't into those styles, they would get annoyed.
You didn't annoy me.

I'm not annoyed b/c of the styles of music chosen. I listen to and have skated to a very wide-range of music. What I'm saying is they had a WHOLE DECADE of amazing music and artists to choose from and we get the same 5-6 songs.
Maybe one would have to be an 80's kid to understand. :shrug:

ETA: Props to LaLa for skating "Thriller" and rocking it.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah well... considering we get the same music over and over and over and for ever and ever after, I doubt that a team would pick up something that is not mainstream.
I mean they could if they're fans of that music. But I guess I'm going :ot:

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem with this idea is that it is about the music / idea and not about the dancing.
The required steps will be similar, only the music changes.

I think I liked the old OSP better. We got some great Latin and Blues dances from those.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess this means MORE Moulin Rouge, Romeo & Juliet and Umbrellas. We have been seeing repeats of these ever since the originals were done. On the plus side, unless Muse was used in a movie that might be gone. Maybe someone will skate to I Tonya:palmf:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I guess this means MORE Moulin Rouge, Romeo & Juliet and Umbrellas. We have been seeing repeats of these ever since the originals were done. On the plus side, unless Muse was used in a movie that might be gone. Maybe someone will skate to I Tonya:palmf:
Don't forget that POTO was made into a movie in 2004...

jorge2912

On the Ice
Country
Chile
maybe is a known movie that transcend beyond years, if somebody understands Korean can tell us what are they saying please but if is from Korean can be something futuristic for sure

Last edited: